U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM

22 posts, read 61,075 times

Advertisements

I am struggling a little bit. I keep hearing that JOCO has some of the best school systems in the KC metro area, but I feel that Clay county and other MO areas would better suit our lifestyle...help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times
Of the three major districts - North Kansas City, Park Hill and Liberty, I would rate them Park Hill #1, Liberty #2, NKC #3. These are just my gut opinions - nothing statistical to back them up.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibry View Post
I am struggling a little bit. I keep hearing that JOCO has some of the best school systems in the KC metro area, but I feel that Clay county and other MO areas would better suit our lifestyle...help.
Dude, you have been told by many people that there are plenty of comparable schools and districts on the MO side to those in JoCo. What are you afraid of? Obviously there are some great schools up there in Clay County or they wouldn't be such fast growing suburban areas. If you are that worried about being in the absolute best schools in the entire area of 2.2 million people then JoCo is probably the place for you anyway because regardless of whether or not they have the best schools, everybody out there will assure you that they are the best to ease your mind.

Seriously, live where you want to live and then worry about schools. The KC area is ringed by excellent suburban school districts all around the metro in Clay, Platte, Jackson, Cass and Johnson Counties. For what you are wanting and the money you said you are going to spend for a home, you will be be in a great school district unless you buy a home in central kcmo.

I seriously doubt that a large number of the 30-40 thousand people that have moved into the Shoal Creek/Liberty area in the last ten years are sitting up there with second thoughts about wishing they had moved to JoCo for the “better schools” especially when they have some of the newest, modern schools in the metro, including the metro's two newest high schools. But again, to east your mind, just move to joco and then places like Shoal Creek, Liberty, Park Hill etc will cease to exist from your vantage point. You too can judge the Northland by trips to the airport and worlds of fun .

Last edited by kcmo; 01-07-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 AM

22 posts, read 61,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Dude, you have been told by many people that there are plenty of comparable schools and districts on the MO side to those in JoCo. What are you afraid of? Obviously there are some great schools up there in Clay County or they wouldn't be such fast growing suburban areas. If you are that worried about being in the absolute best schools in the entire area of 2.2 million people then JoCo is probably the place for you anyway because regardless of whether or not they have the best schools, everybody out there will assure you that they are the best to ease your mind.

Seriously, live where you want to live and then worry about schools. The KC area is ringed by excellent suburban school districts all around the metro in Clay, Platte, Jackson, Cass and Johnson Counties. For what you are wanting and the money you said you are going to spend for a home, you will be be in a great school district unless you buy a home in central kcmo.

I seriously doubt that a large number of the 30-40 thousand people that have moved into the Shoal Creek/Liberty area in the last ten years are sitting up there with second thoughts about wishing they had moved to JoCo for the “better schools” especially when they have some of the newest, modern schools in the metro, including the metro's two newest high schools. But again, to east your mind, just move to joco and then places like Shoal Creek, Liberty, Park Hill etc will cease to exist from your vantage point. You too can judge the Northland by trips to the airport and worlds of fun .
Dude, relax. I am just trying to pick peoples brains. Up until 6 weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about this area. Now I am moving out there with my two kids. I don't just want to move to JOCO...I am gathering information...nothing wrong with that. Isn't this what these boards are all about.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Dude, relax. I am just trying to pick peoples brains. Up until 6 weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about this area. Now I am moving out there with my two kids. I don't just want to move to JOCO...I am gathering information...nothing wrong with that. Isn't this what these boards are all about.
I appologizie

you have to get out of the mentality of "is there anything in kc that could possibly compare to joco?" or you will drive yourself nuts.

I am fully aware that people moving to kc are often going to be pushed to joco as the only and best place to live and if you don't want joco, you will be sort of going against the grain and you will constantly question yourself.

I and many others will assure you that there are plenty of nice, safe suburban areas with excellent schools on the mo side that not only "compare" to joco, but possibly exceed it, depending on the lifestyle you prefer.

Joco is a very nice suburban area, but so is Liberty, Platte County, Lee's Summit etc.

The schools in Liberty and northern parts of the NKC district in Clay County are very good, as are the schools in Platte County. Have you looked at Lee's Summit? They too have some of the best schools in the metro and the topography and layout of the area is much more like what you seem to prefer. That's why Lee's Summit has so many commuters. People choose to live that lifestyle and commute to places like kcmo and joco when they could live closer to work.

Liberty North and Stayley are both brand new high schools in the Northland. You may want to look around those areas. But clay county can get pretty flat and treeless in those areas, that's why I recommended the Park Hill district before.

Good luck and again, sorry, I didn’t mean to take my frustrations out on you, but what you are going through with joco is very normal for kc. People are often pushed to joco and then once they settle in joco, they then often move to places like clay, platte, lee’s summit etc after thy realize the metro is more than joco and downtown kcmo.

it's just frustrating that people come to kc with the preconceived notion that joco is the bar and everything else is subpar. That is just simply not the case.

I have seen A LOT of people move to KC to work for companies that I have worked for and all of them were heavily "recruited" to JoCo and the ones that chose other areas were often questioned by joco people as to why they would not choose joco. You will see a difference in people in KC. People in Liberty will say Liberty is a nice area, but they don't generally say "Liberty is the best area or the safest area of the metro". It's not that is not a safe area with good schools, it's just that people are more passive about it. So it may seem to a person new to the area that joco is the "best" area, but reality is that the areas are pretty much the same. It just depends on the kind of lifestyle you want. (green space, hills, trees, lakes, shopping options, commute times etc).

Last edited by kcmo; 01-08-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
elibry, you just need to visit both and see which area you like best. I much prefer the "feel" of Johnson County, but granted, that may be because I did most of my growing up here. I did live in Clay and Platte County during part of my growing up as well, but that was before I was 7 years old. Still, I loved Johnson County from the moment we moved there when I was 7 years old, and never looked back. Moved other places for a period of time for various reasons (college, finances, etc), but always came back to Johnson County.

Looking at the pros and cons on paper and actually visiting are two different things. Once you are able to visit both, I bet you will find that one or the other suits you best and you will know where you want to be.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I'm an educator who works with many metro districts, including NKC, Park Hill, Liberty, Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, and Lee's Summit, among others. I wouldn't worry that in sending kids to any of those districts, you're short-changing your kid...they're all good districts.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,489,324 times
Quote:
I went to North Kansas City schools and Park Hill Schools growing up. As a student, I preferred NKC. When I went from PH to NKC was really behind despite being an Honor Roll student in PH so that is why. But, PH is a good district.

I have two kids now and I wouldnt hesitate sending them to any district in Clay County.

NKC is a really large district. It is more than double the other two in size. If you go for NKC, the further north you get, the better. NKC and Winnetonka high school areas have a lot of kids that just arent good examples. The Oak Park and Staley areas have much better quality of students.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,198,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I went to North Kansas City schools and Park Hill Schools growing up. As a student, I preferred NKC. When I went from PH to NKC was really behind despite being an Honor Roll student in PH so that is why. But, PH is a good district.

I have two kids now and I wouldnt hesitate sending them to any district in Clay County.

NKC is a really large district. It is more than double the other two in size. If you go for NKC, the further north you get, the better. NKC and Winnetonka high school areas have a lot of kids that just arent good examples. The Oak Park and Staley areas have much better quality of students.
Interesting. It's funny I could have guessed and already felt I knew everything you just said JUST by knowing the demographics of the area, as well as a handful of people who have gone to those schools.

NKC and Winnetonka are in what are more working-class areas inhabited by folks who are legit, hard-working people, but not incredibly competitive, education-valuing, or wealthy. In other words, they are mostly good people, just not the cream of the crop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City