U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,558 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! I'm sure your advice will serve me well on my drive : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
Just last week we drove to Las Vegas from KC via I-70 and I-15. Fortunately the weather was wonderful and we had no problems. We did keep track of the weather forecast beginning about 10 days prior and would have adjusted our route (i.e., I-40) if necessary. I-70 in Utah is extremely desolate - I think it's something like 80 miles without a gas station (but it's also fabulous scenery). I'd just keep my eyes on the forecast. Remember 36 hours max after it snows the interstates should be dry.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM

376 posts, read 429,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericad View Post
I just graduated from Sacramento State and am having a hard time finding entry level positions here in Cali. Plus, I have family in KC so I figured it was the perfect time for an adventurous move. What's taking you from the west (finally)?
Well, we wanted to raise our kids somewhere friendlier than California. So we moved to Bainbridge Island, which is making you laugh if you know the Seattle region and the concept of the "Seattle Freeze." Big, expensive mistake. My wife is from KC, her family's all in Brookside, and we love the idea of living in a city again. Add the great music and cultural scene and the lower cost of RE and it's a no brainer.

It'll be a big change for a lifelong West Coaster having no mountains or oceans nearby, but life's about change and change is good.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
Well, we wanted to raise our kids somewhere friendlier than California. So we moved to Bainbridge Island, which is making you laugh if you know the Seattle region and the concept of the "Seattle Freeze." Big, expensive mistake. My wife is from KC, her family's all in Brookside, and we love the idea of living in a city again. Add the great music and cultural scene and the lower cost of RE and it's a no brainer.

It'll be a big change for a lifelong West Coaster having no mountains or oceans nearby, but life's about change and change is good.
I grew up in KC and now live on the east coast, if we move again, I would like to move to the west coast or at least Denver, just to get a taste of living out there for a while. But doesn't the rest of the country seem so far from the west coast? I mean KC is 1/3 closer to the east coast than the west coast. It just seems like the rest of the country is more disconnected while the east coast has the entire eastern seaboard, florida, the midwest, the south, texas etc within a decent drive or short flight.

That is the big thing that I may not like about living out west.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
I know many in KC who came from the W Coast - singles and families. SoCal is one of KC's largest imports. It will be a big adjustment. Few I know clicked right away, most took a year or 3 to adjust (mostly to having a real winter and nature of a smaller metro), a couple I know of moved back who tended be very 'image' conscious, which doesn't go over too well in the Midwest.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
I know many in KC who came from the W Coast - singles and families. SoCal is one of KC's largest imports. It will be a big adjustment. Few I know clicked right away, most took a year or 3 to adjust (mostly to having a real winter and nature of a smaller metro), a couple I know of moved back who tended be very 'image' conscious, which doesn't go over too well in the Midwest.
Yes, this was discussed in other threads, and that is why I think KC has much more in the way of Sunbelt influences compareed to a few decades ago. This is also why I think KC is distancing itself further from the Great Lakes cities which have more balanced migration patterns from the core of the Midwest and elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM

When I worked in KC, I remember we brought in two people to work for us from CA. Both were from the bay area (one oakland and one san fran).

There were both young, right out of college and single (one male, one female). Both hated KC with a passion and went back to CA within a year even though the firm paid to relocate them to KC.

Now this was when KC's urban core had pretty much bottomed out and it was actually embarrassing to show people from other large cities downtown up close because it impressed no one so things might be a bit better now.

But we also brought in an older person and his family and they settled out in joco someplace and seemed to stay put and be fine, but they took little interest in the city and their kids were too young to know the difference.

I know the firm I worked for stopped recruiting people from other big cities and concentrated on the college towns around the midwest instead (Iowa, Neb, Kstate etc) as they were far more likely to pan out long term.

So I think KC might be able to pull in older people that need jobs and are fine with a big house in a nice suburb with the new cost of living, but I wonder if it has gotten any better bringing in young people from big coastal cities. That seemed like a huge challenge right up till 2009 when I left the city. I know the city had improved a lot by then, but getting people to even consider KC was challenging. Potential employees basically had to have existing ties to the area or it was nearly impossible to bring people in from the east or west coast, but that was when good people were hard to find and could go any place they wanted. Today people will probably go where ever they have to.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-12-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

To elaborate on my last post. I was not trying to put kc down or say that people from the coasts wouldn't like KC., (although up till about 2006, urban KCMO left a lot to be desired.)

The firm I worked for was in South KC (near state line) and most people there were from JoCo. So basically they tried to sell KC to people from the bay area and elsewhere by telling them about what's on 119th street and telling them that KCMO was a place to avoid.

FAIL. That might work from somebody from Oklahoma, but people from large urban areas are generally not impressed with Overland Park. Just picking them up at KCI and not taking 435 around the entire city to reach the office was a huge hit with potential employees. Why would you do that? Pick somebody up at KCI and drive them to SKC via 435? What a terrible first impression! You are trying to sell KC to somebody from another large city and HR people would drag people through rural, industrial and suburban areas for an extra 10 miles to AVOID central kcmo. The drive from KCI to SKC via downtown, midtown and the plaza is a very impressive drive to somebody that has never been to KC. 435?

I was actually one of the only people that tried to at least show them the urban core and get them to give it a chance and while they were impressed with the city, it wasn't enough to overcome overwhelming anti city mentality that existed in that office.

Had that office been in the downtown area and more of the people there known more about what KCMO had to offer, I don't think it would have been near the culture shock and they may even still be living in KC today.

My point is that KC is not that bad of a place and could work for people from large coastal cities, but you could be introduced to KC in a way and have a daily interaction with people in KC that would make you hate the place.

Maybe this has changed too. Bottom line is people in KC think the suburbs there impress everybody, but a lot of people don't care about that or come from a city with more impressive suburbs anyway. I mean if you are from the bay area, DC, Chicago etc, you won't care about town center plaza when you came from a place that has multiple IKEA's and Zona Rosa type developments every other exit.

I hope people there are selling KCMO's urban core more. They sure didn't when I lived there. Even when I worked downtown, plaza etc, the locals were pretty clueless about what the city offered outside their quick commute to the nearest ramp to the interstates.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-12-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM

7,645 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
When I worked in KC, I remember we brought in two people to work for us from CA. Both were from the bay area (one oakland and one san fran).

There were both young, right out of college and single (one male, one female). Both hated KC with a passion and went back to CA within a year even though the firm paid to relocate them to KC.

Now this was when KC's urban core had pretty much bottomed out and it was actually embarrassing to show people from other large cities downtown up close because it impressed no one so things might be a bit better now.

But we also brought in an older person and his family and they settled out in joco someplace and seemed to stay put and be fine, but they took little interest in the city and their kids were too young to know the difference.

I know the firm I worked for stopped recruiting people from other big cities and concentrated on the college towns around the midwest instead (Iowa, Neb, Kstate etc) as they were far more likely to pan out long term.

So I think KC might be able to pull in older people that need jobs and are fine with a big house in a nice suburb with the new cost of living, but I wonder if it has gotten any better bringing in young people from big coastal cities. That seemed like a huge challenge right up till 2009 when I left the city. I know the city had improved a lot by then, but getting people to even consider KC was challenging. Potential employees basically had to have existing ties to the area or it was nearly impossible to bring people in from the east or west coast, but that was when good people were hard to find and could go any place they wanted. Today people will probably go where ever they have to.
Is that because the new recruits didn't like KC or because the company wasn't very impressed by the West Coast recruits?

KC and the Midwest have a much superior talent pool in terms of real educational level (not talking degree here, but real world capabilities) and even more so in terms of individual character and integrity compared to the Bay Area. Any casual observation by management would recognize this and sour them quickly on California recruiting.

On the other side of that coin, there are many recruiters out here who will look for Midwest resumes and put them at the top of the consideration list.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Is that because the new recruits didn't like KC or because the company wasn't very impressed by the West Coast recruits?

KC and the Midwest have a much superior talent pool in terms of real educational level (not talking degree here, but real world capabilities) and even more so in terms of individual character and integrity compared to the Bay Area. Any casual observation by management would recognize this and sour them quickly on California recruiting.

On the other side of that coin, there are many recruiters out here who will look for Midwest resumes and put them at the top of the consideration list.
Well I don't think they were happy with the recruits if the left the company so quickly, so probably both. Again, this was a time when it was hard to find people. Now instead of 10 people for 20 jobs, it's the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City