U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
One key reason they start in university areas is because they allow 18yo drivers whereas most car rentals don't allow drivers under 25. Bike sharing and free bus passes are part of the UMKC program...

Zipcar service zeros in on UMKC, Rockhurst campuses - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/17/3376656/zipcar-rental-service-zeros-in.html - broken link)

Most car rental places do actually rent to anyone over 18, they just make you pay out the tooshie for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Ah, looks like that has changed in last few years...

Quote:
The picture actually isn't as bleak as it was a few years ago when many of big car rental companies didn't allow anyone under 25 to rent. Drivers ages 21 to 24 can now rent at most locations operated by Advantage, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, and Thrifty. In the vast majority of cases, drivers ages 21 to 24 still have to pay a daily surcharge (varying by location) that averages around $25 per day.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM

I wonder if the ZipCar will be under the same KCMO high car rental tax (for funding the arena) as other car rental companies.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
^I don't believe so. They're not car rental; it's a membership-based service. Could be wrong though!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM

204 posts, read 677,222 times
Saw the Zipcar thread and had to chime in. I've been a member for 4 years, in Chicago and in Seattle (and now Chicago again), and it's been really good for when I need to use a car without planning ahead. Granted, I have always lived within a few blocks of several zipcar locations, so it's been easy.

Just thought I'd clarify a few things:

1) The hourly rate includes gas and insurance and you can opt for waiver for the $500 deductible, I think it's $7 a month.

2) You do have to return the car to the same place it was picked up.

3) Zipcar is taxed as a rental car, or at least it is in both Chicago and Seattle, so I think for an hour even for the cheapest cars and cheapest rate plan, it still works out to $8.50 to $9 an hour. This depends on other state taxes and the rate plan you are on.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM

376 posts, read 429,412 times
I've used Zipcar here in Seattle many times, and I'm delighted that it's moving to KC, where I'll be moving in March.

Zipcar rocks. Here's how it works:

- You have to pay for a membership, and they check your driving record, so it's not automatic acceptance.

- Once they accept you, they send you a transponder card that's your membership card and is also used to unlock and lock your car. There's also an iPhone and Android app now that you can use to reserve cars and lock/unlock.

- If you need a car for, let's say, 4 hours for a meeting, you go online or use the app, find a car in your area, and reserve it for a certain window of time. The per-hour or per-day cost is billed to your credit card. As several other people have pointed out, the cost of your membership covers gas and insurance (there's a actually a Zipcar gas card in the visor).

- You walk to your car (it's always in a specific parking space), wave your Zipcard at it to unlock it, and drive off. And yes, you must return it to the same lot on time. Zipcar can penalize you if you're late. It's also good form to fill up the tank before you return the car.

Zipcar is awesome for convenient, quick trips, such as a friend flying into KCI who needs a lift into town. You rent a Zipcar for two hours, pick up your friend, and you've spent about $25.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Unfortunately the only site will be UMKC to start with. Hopefully it will expand but could be a while. There are many towns where they only have university locations.

While picking up a friend for $25 would likely be less than a cab ride, I use Super Shuttle for $19 (one way) from Airport to Plaza area (otherwise $45+ cab ride).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City