Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

34 posts, read 149,954 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what people's heating or electric bills were for the december. I have a electric heat pump and paid about $140 electric bill for 2300 sqft. How 'bout you? I'm scared what our January bill will be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 21,259 times
Angry Outrageous

I have an all electric house, heat pump, programmable thermostat, triple pane windows, and more than required insullation. My bill for Dec. was $427.59. Of that time, we were out of town for a week and left the thermostat at 55. Just yesterday the bill for January arrived. $728.24!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally threw up!! I don't know how people can do this. House is 3,600 sq ft so may be larger than average, but not the largest ever and really, come on now!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriciack View Post
I have an all electric house, heat pump, programmable thermostat, triple pane windows, and more than required insullation. My bill for Dec. was $427.59. Of that time, we were out of town for a week and left the thermostat at 55. Just yesterday the bill for January arrived. $728.24!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally threw up!! I don't know how people can do this. House is 3,600 sq ft so may be larger than average, but not the largest ever and really, come on now!
Wow! That's amazing. We have gas heat, gas water heaters, all else electric. We have supplemented the heat with a couple of space heaters and electric blankets at night. Our bills for December and January for gas and all of our electric combined were about 8 cents a square foot. That would be an average bill of about $288 for a house your size. And we were home most of the time and keep the programmable thermostat at least at 70 most of the time.

Sumthin' ain't right ... are your neighbor's bills also this high? Where the heck do you live???

Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
I have heat pumps and the December bill was over 40% higher than my previous all-time high but usage was only about 15% increased. I have the feeling maybe KCPL got a huge rate hike or something.

Patriciack, are you sure that's not two months' worth of bills?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 21,259 times
Here's what I've found out since. I live in Lee's Summit, so there's a surcharge of some kind over and above what Kansas City pays. Not just a flat rate, but a higher rate per unit of electricity.

Yes, the $427.59 bill was an estimate, but the one before was a real reading and the $728.24 one was a real reading. So in any event two months was $1,155.83.

HOPEFULLY (fingers crossed), this is the problem: I recently had KCP&L install a programmable thermostat. Seemingly I had it set wrong. When the temps get down to approaching freezing, I was supposed to set it on "Emergency Heat" which pulls from the heat pump first and then the electricity. I hadn't done this and it was pulling all from the electric to heat. I sure hope this was the problem - if so, it's a simple fix - and the next bill will be reasonable and I can just chalk it up to lesson learned. If not - I don't know what I'll do.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 27,109 times
I am looking to update the heating unit in my home in KCMO (and add A/C). Sounds like a traditional gas furnace would be the most affordable way to go as opposed to an electric heat pump. Geothermal would be great but I doubt that I would ever recap the initial costs. Anyone have an opinion?

Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
I looked into geothermal heat pumps when I built my house. It looked like the payoff was just about equal to the expected life of the equipment, so I went with air-to-air.

Keep in mind that you can opt for a gas heat pump. You don't have to go all-electric. I would have gone that route had I had natural gas available.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 19,208 times
I don't know about MO, but here in Kansas KCP&L was given a rate hike. The commission chose to direct KCP&L to raise rates an average of 17% for people with heat pumps, and only .6% for those without heat pumps. What kind of discrimination is this, especially when we pay more up front for the heat pump to "save money"? This is an "ex post facto" decision that penalizes those with whom KCP&L had a rate agreement to entice homeowners to buy the heat pump in the first place. This needs to be challenged and rolled back. (My budget billing monthly rate increased 50%. Sure makes retirement on a fixed income fun!)

Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 19,208 times
I should add that I also have a gas furnace which is used to HEAT the house - not the heat pump.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,683 times
in regards to mge raising their rates for heat pumps(realizing people are trying to save money and penalize them for it ).the gas company seems to do what ever they want with no regulations changing there "policies" and raising their rates with no recourse or other alternatives for the consumer's supplier of natural gas. is this not a monopoly? not to mention the rude behavior of the employees. i am set on finding another way to heat my house. i would rather go chop my own wood than hand over any more money to mge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City