U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissum View Post
This is an old opinion, but when my mom worked there 10 years ago she said she was never allowed to leave for things like kids' school performances, or bad snow storms and was always expected to work over 40 hours. She worked in their marketing department. They paid well, but eventually she decided it wasn't worth the aggravation and quit.
One of my friends that works there works a flex schedule and leaves and goes as he pleases as long as he puts in his time and gets his work done.

Most companies arent gong to let you leave because of snow or at least corporations that serve people nation and worldwide arent. It doesnt matter how bad the weather is here, people all over the world need their service. I have never worked anywhere that would allow you to leave because of snow regardless of how bad it is and if you did leave, you had to use vacation or sick time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM

35 posts, read 116,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterplano View Post
my friend says she works no less than 75 or 80.
no less than huh? Gonna call bs on this one.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
There are a lot of people out there that would love to be forced to work over 40 hours a week. It's better than trying to keep food on the table by taking a job at the Home Depot

Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM

12 posts, read 34,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke17 View Post
no less than huh? Gonna call bs on this one.
She probably stretches the truth some, but taking into account her travel time, I am guessing 60 plus hours. I wouldn't doubt it if some week she is at work / or in transit to work up to 70 and 80 hours.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
80 hours would mean almost 12 hour days, 7 days a week. Not likely. Obviously those who travel are 'on the clock' for much longer, including travel time. In most any IT travel job, system installs/support will be longer hours, so is no surprise (I've been there). Sales/training may be more than avg but not as much as tech positions. IT Operations positions are high hours/week in any company, many have to work weekends too.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 21,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Was at a dinner party last night in Hyde Park and someone from Cerner was there. Asked if the over 40 hour thing is still expected and he said it depends on department. He said travel positions are well over 40 and depts that are related to software development are expected to work 45-48/week. Is pretty consistent with what I hear from the other two I know at Cerner.

What type of position are you considering?
The position I am considering is an entry level consultant position based in Kansas City. Doing things like defect tracking,test cases, client training, etc.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM

The first two sound like local QA jobs, the client training sounds like lots of travel unless it's developing or testing training material - not sure how Cerner does things. Good luck with the interview if you haven't already. As mentioned before, check into which site you'd work in KC and careful with bringing up the hours thing until made an offer - if that's even a concern.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM

11 posts, read 25,568 times
Cerner has been an excellent employer for my son. He has been there 2 years. Has had no forced overtime. They have been very accommodating, provide good benefits. Good Luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM

40 posts, read 58,752 times
Default Worth it

I moved to KC to work for Cerner 8 months ago, and it's a great company. Great benefits, smart people, great environment. I feel like the "sweat shot" mantre of Cerner is a thing of the past - don't get me wrong, I consistently put in 42-45 hour weeks (no travel), but they are very understanding about vacation/events and whatnot as long as you give advance notice and don't schedule things during events.

I work in the consulting org so I'm not sure what org you would be working in, but I'd say go for it. Great company, looks good on a resume, and the pay isn't bad either!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM

There's an article in KC Star today saying Cerner hired 2000 last year in KC and plans to hire about 2000 more this year. Says most industries still struggle except for Health and IT/Sciences. There are 4 IT job postings for every unemployed IT job hunter in KC. Not bad. If Cerner doesn't work out for those concerned about making a move to KC, there are a lot of other IT and Healthcare jobs as an alternative to Cerner.

Most industries struggle, but health care is booming - KansasCity.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City