U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,764 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Kansas City in summer of 2013 (possibly sooner). We currently live in Topeka (not by choice) but have only lived here since 2009 (military prior to that). We plan to make lots of day trips to KC within the next year to figure out where we want to live but I need some help narrowing my scope. Here's some variables we have to work with:

-We have to live on the KS side. No budge on this, ex-h will still live in Topeka and I don't want to fight him in court to leave the state. So Kansas City, KS it is.

-On that, he will have every other weekend visitation so travel time and traffic to commute to Topeka every other weekend is a consideration.

-I will have one child in high school(10th), 2 in middle school(7th and 8th) and 2 in elementary school (K and 2nd). Schools are definitely a huge factor. So far I'm looking at Olathe schools, Mill Valley high school and its feeders or possibly Shawnee Mission schools. Not interested in Blue Valley even though I know it's most people's top choice.

-My current husband and I are in the computer industry and will be making decent money but we don't want to spend tons of money on a house. We don't plan to live in KC forever (probably only 5 - 10 years). We want 3 - 4 bedrooms in the $150 - 200. New or older construction, actually I rather prefer older construction but new can be nice too. We will probably rent the first year just to make sure we really like the area. We know from experience that visiting and actually living somewhere can be two totally different experiences.

- We have the possibility of working on the MO side but we do have to live on the KS side. I prefer to keep the work commute to 30 minutes or less but will consider up to about 45 - 60 mins.

So what areas should we take a look at on our day trips? Areas to avoid? Anything we should consider given our situation? What considerations do we need to think about if we accept employment in MO but live in KS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 AM

266 posts, read 473,016 times
If you're living on the KS side, work there too. You will get hosed with double taxation, plus etax if you work in KCMO itself (the only real place with jobs on the MO side). Plus salaries will usually be higher in JOCO too. Your commute won't be as bad either. Mill Valley (western Shawnee) High is probably your best bet, as it's closest to I-70, and homes there are in the 150-200k range.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
If you're living on the KS side, work there too. You will get hosed with double taxation, plus etax if you work in KCMO itself (the only real place with jobs on the MO side). Plus salaries will usually be higher in JOCO too. Your commute won't be as bad either. Mill Valley (western Shawnee) High is probably your best bet, as it's closest to I-70, and homes there are in the 150-200k range.
The OP made it pretty clear that they didn't want to live on the MO side, so why even bring up reasons why you think they shouldn't live in kcmo?

If you are working in the same field of work, do you have any proof that pay is higher in joco than in kcmo? I highly doubt that is the case.

I would however agree that western Shawnee is probably the best place for the OP to live in this case. That's a nice suburban area with good schools that would be close to Topeka and the MO side of KCMO via I-70 and SMP.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-16-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,764 times
Geez... I did ask about the possibility of working in MO but living in KS. Thank you Jason for addressing that for me. I wasn't sure how the taxation and such would work. I know we have lots of job opportunities on the KS side, I just didn't know if there were any special advantages or disadvantages to working on the Kansas side.

I have nothing against the MO side, I just don't want to spend the money to fight my ex in court when I could just as easily live on the Kansas side (which my lawyer told me is likely what a judge would tell me to do anyways if I have to move to Kansas City to work)

Anything else I should consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City