U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,494,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well robb, this is about the only topic you seem all that interested in. You have said yourself that you post and read the college sports boards and listen to the sports talk shows all the time.
The KC board hasnt had very many interesting topics lately.

Quote:
So you are a pretty good example of being obsessed with a college sports team. .
Sports is my main hobby and interest. My interest in college sports is nothing compared to my interest in professional sports.

Quote:
I have yet to meet a single person out here that would even consider listing to sports talk radio, let alone all day at work.
Who says I listen to it at work? I pretty much listen to it on my way to work in the morning or on the way home. If they arent talking about anything I have an interest in (baseball) then I listen to 96.5 or music from my phone. I dont think I have ever listened to the radio at work. It's just something to have on for the ride.

Quote:
I don't even think this area has a decent sports talk show.
Both 610 and 810 are decent for the most part. They get guest and analyst on from all over the country and some good inside info at times. I mainly listen to hear interviews with coaches, players, and analyst.

Quote:
When I was in KC, I think that's all people listened too at the office. Let's listen to a bunch of JoCo bias conservative talk and sports stations that are anti kcmo like 980 and 810 AfreakingM. . Who listens to AM radio about that game that Oklahoma and Kstate has coming up in a week??
What makes you think 810 is conservative or anti-kcmo? It's a sports station.

Quote:
BTW, does KC still have 96.5 the buzz? That's what I listened to at work. Kind of miss lazlo and the gang. Wasn't a great station, but about the best in KC IMO.
Yes, it is still around.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Tbut would wear a Royals jersey once in a while on weekends when I wasn't going to a game.
So, you bash people for wearing KU gear out and about but it is okay for you to wear a Royals jersey out and about?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,230,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
So, you bash people for wearing KU gear out and about but it is okay for you to wear a Royals jersey out and about?
I agree that this is hypocritical. If you see a guy at the airport wearing college gear, how do you know how often he wears it? Maybe you caught him on laundry day? If kcmo literally never wore college gear out and about then you get to take some moral high ground I suppose, but not if you, even on occasion, do so yourself.

I wear MU, Cardinals and Chiefs gear out on occasion. My chiefs jacket mostly because it's cute and I bought it for a game :P

Old 02-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I agree that this is hypocritical. If you see a guy at the airport wearing college gear, how do you know how often he wears it? Maybe you caught him on laundry day? If kcmo literally never wore college gear out and about then you get to take some moral high ground I suppose, but not if you, even on occasion, do so yourself.

I wear MU, Cardinals and Chiefs gear out on occasion. My chiefs jacket mostly because it's cute and I bought it for a game :P
You see people wearing sports gear at the airport because it is usually comfortable like a soft cotton t-shirt or a hoodie. When I travel in the winter I usually wear a hoodie because it is easily removable, has a large pocket in front for extra stuff to carry-on, and warm if needed. All of my hoodies are either KU, Packers, or Wizards/Sporting. All of my hats are sports teams too. I am guessing that is the case for a lot of men.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 4,875 times
As a recent MU graduate, I am saddened to see the rivalry with KU end. But at the same time when Nebraska left the Big 12, I didn't want to see them around anymore. So i can definitely see why folks at KU wouldn't want to continue playing Mizzou. It's too bad though because my fondest memories are of the small town Missouri life driving to Columbia to see whatever kind of basketball team we had play against KU. I grew up in a house where we hated Kansas, but at the same time had respect for them. I can't imagine going to school at MU without KU involved. I heard posters on here earlier saying that it didn't matter whether Mizzou lost all of their games, but as long as they beat KU it was fine. There is a bit of truth to that. No one wants to lose all of their games, but beating KU always softened the blow to any losing season. I'm a little bit of a sports guy, but it was always fun to see my friends that didn't care about sports at all get excited when KU came to town. While I am excited to start a rivalry with Arkansas, I will really miss the excitement and bad blood that KU brought to Mizzou's campus. Even if it's not an economic gain for either school, it's the attitude that makes the rivalry special and I hope to see it start up in the future.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM

7,057 posts, read 5,079,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I hear it all the time from MU fans. There is a hardcore MU fan on another board that I post on that continually talks about the Border War competition and how it makes MU's year if they can simply beat KU in that competition.

You may not be that way but I hear it from MU fans all the time in person and on the radio; it's not ridiculous at all.
Well, with all due respect, I think it is not an accurate depiction of how a majority of Mizzou fans feel.

First of all, while not an elite football program, we've been pretty good the last decade. Winning or losing to KU does not begin to make or break our football season. The really big game was '07 when both teams were ranked. This year, a year in which your coach was fired, you barely could fill your half of Arrowhead from all accounts. I was at the '07 game, totally different story.

Basketball is different. Once again, I readily admit you guys dominate in basketball. Bill Self seems to own the Big 12--and it looks like he will win it again. Winning against KU at home was HUGE, but no way it made our season. Winning at AFH just might, though, although I wouldn't put any money on it.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Well, with all due respect, I think it is not an accurate depiction of how a majority of Mizzou fans feel.

First of all, while not an elite football program, we've been pretty good the last decade. Winning or losing to KU does not begin to make or break our football season. The really big game was '07 when both teams were ranked. This year, a year in which your coach was fired, you barely could fill your half of Arrowhead from all accounts. I was at the '07 game, totally different story.

Basketball is different. Once again, I readily admit you guys dominate in basketball. Bill Self seems to own the Big 12--and it looks like he will win it again. Winning against KU at home was HUGE, but no way it made our season. Winning at AFH just might, though, although I wouldn't put any money on it.
It may not be but a fair share feel that way. I hear it from MU fans all the time and while MU fans like to think they have this great football program, they are simply on a good run mainly because they found a solid coach but overall the program is mediocre and that is in jeopardy moving into the premiere football conference in the country with recruiting in jeopardy.

A lot of people who had tickets to that game didnt even go and a lot of people that planned on buying tickets to the game never did as a way to revolt against MU for moving to the SEC. Why raise the revenue of the game which has a 50/50 split and handover money to MU?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I didn't say MU sold out every game and I concede KU has stronger attendance, but you wrote MU only sells out when it plays KU and that is demonstrably false.
This from MU's athletic department:

Mizzou vs. Oklahoma State Game Sold Out
Mizzou's final three home games are all sold out

Feb. 14, 2012

COLUMBIA, Mo. - No. 3 Mizzou's game against Oklahoma State on Wednesday, Feb. 15 if officially sold out, announced the Mizzou Athletic Department on Tuesday. Additionally, both remaining home games (Kansas State on Feb. 21 and Iowa State on Feb. 29) are also sold out.
With the addition of the Oklahoma State game, eight of Mizzou's nine Big 12 Conference home contests were advanced sellouts this season. For all the latest on Mizzou basketball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MizzouHoops.

Again, the point is not that MU has higher attendance than KU, because it doesn't, the point is Mizzou doesn't just sell out for the KU game. In fact, it has sold out for all but one of its conference home games and that game was while the students were still on break.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Quote:
This from MU's athletic department:

Mizzou vs. Oklahoma State Game Sold Out
Mizzou's final three home games are all sold out

Feb. 14, 2012

COLUMBIA, Mo. - No. 3 Mizzou's game against Oklahoma State on Wednesday, Feb. 15 if officially sold out, announced the Mizzou Athletic Department on Tuesday. Additionally, both remaining home games (Kansas State on Feb. 21 and Iowa State on Feb. 29) are also sold out.
With the addition of the Oklahoma State game, eight of Mizzou's nine Big 12 Conference home contests were advanced sellouts this season. For all the latest on Mizzou basketball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on twitter @MizzouHoops.

Again, the point is not that MU has higher attendance than KU, because it doesn't, the point is Mizzou doesn't just sell out for the KU game. In fact, it has sold out for all but one of its conference home games and that game was while the students were still on break.
This year, yes. But normally they do not sell out. Normally there are empty seats everywhere, even for conference home games. Because the team is playing well this year and MU hopes to make a statement on their way out of the Big 12, attendance has been high. But that's not the norm.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
This year, yes. But normally they do not sell out. Normally there are empty seats everywhere, even for conference home games. Because the team is playing well this year and MU hopes to make a statement on their way out of the Big 12, attendance has been high. But that's not the norm.
Attendance at sporting events normally fluctuates with a team's performance. That's not exactly earth shattering news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City