U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 AM
 
1,291 posts, read 2,514,243 times
Reputation: 1264

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But it's the same thing as when KU fans rip on MO for being a slave or confederate state. 99.9% of the people at MU probably never ever think about MO being a confederate state back in the civil war. But I have heard it MANY times from KU fans including most KU fans I know personally which are friends mine. It's all part of the rivalry. You find reasons to rip on the other guys, especially things you know that will get under their skin, even if doing it a passive aggressive way, which how most of my friends would do it or how I might respond.

In other threads or even this one, you have stated that MU fans are far more immature and mean than KU fans. I think it's been proven in this thread and others that their are mean spirited fans and a lot of actual hate coming from both sides.

This rivalry is as real as a rivalry could possibly get and it comes from both sides.

It's so deep that KU and MU will continue to hate each with a passion even if they never play each other again so they may as well keep playing.

It is what it is.
So now that you know the history of the name you don't care enough to correct it. That's a typical scumbag jawhawk response, nothing less was expected.

It's nice to see former kU students admit their lack of historical knowledge (that diploma really is valuable isn't it!) but it doesn't change the fact that the jayhawk name should go the way of Chief Illiniwek and all the other mascot names from schools that realized that they were promoting a shameful, degrading legacy.

This isn't good, with that type of attitude it's doubtful kU will be welcomed in the Mountain West.

You can defend the name forever but it won't wash the dirt off the legacy it represents. You as a former student should be furious with your school for this but instead you revile in it. Scum is too nice a word.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 03-03-2012 at 06:00 AM..

 
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM
 
12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, not that it matters because my wife is into college sports WAY more than me.

I do get into MLB, NFL and NHL and have lots of jerseys of each, Royals, Cards, Chiefs, Avs and Caps (that I wear to games, not to the mall ).
Well, when I put on my Rock Chalk shirt, I'm in it for the day. I'm not changing it to go to the grocery store so as not to offend people who think I shouldn't be wearing it in public. And I'll be wearing it today because Kansas plays Texas tonight, and I'll be going to the game. Between the time that I get dressed and game time, I'm guessing I might be seen in it at Hen House, Quik Trip, a pharmacy when I get cat medicine, and maybe a restaurant.

And yes, I will wear my Kansas apparel proudly even when KU is not playing. I will wear it to Royals games because it is ROYAL blue, and I don't happen to own any Royals apparel at this time. Maybe I will buy some, maybe not. If I see someone staring at me disapprovingly if I show up at the stadium in my KU shirt, I am gonna think it's you!
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
Great and if I see a family decked out in KU junk looking like country bumpkins at MCI (or any KC bound gate in any airport), I'll think it's your family .
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
 
12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Great and if I see a family decked out in KU junk looking like country bumpkins at MCI (or any KC bound gate in any airport), I'll think it's your family .
Wow, there must be country bumpkins all over the US, from fanbases of every college sport in America. For the record, though, I have never had anyone give say anything or look at me disapprovingly anywhere that I have worn a KU shirt, not even at a Royals game. I think most people are there to watch the game, not look down on someone else for - GOD FORBID! - wearing a shirt with a college team logo, not even when I have been in other states. I did see some people in Florida being ridiculed once when they were wearing Chiefs shirts, but the gist of that was "The Chiefs suck, dude!" - which was true, so there was no arguing with that. It wasn't the fact that they were wearing Chiefs shirts, but the fact that the Chiefs couldn't win a game, that was the problem.
 
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
So now that you know the history of the name you don't care enough to correct it. That's a typical scumbag jawhawk response, nothing less was expected.

It's nice to see former kU students admit their lack of historical knowledge (that diploma really is valuable isn't it!) but it doesn't change the fact that the jayhawk name should go the way of Chief Illiniwek and all the other mascot names from schools that realized that they were promoting a shameful, degrading legacy.

This isn't good, with that type of attitude it's doubtful kU will be welcomed in the Mountain West.

You can defend the name forever but it won't wash the dirt off the legacy it represents. You as a former student should be furious with your school for this but instead you revile in it. Scum is too nice a word.
Speaking of being ignorant about history, you do know that the Tigers mascot is named after a civil war militia, too, right? One with a history of violence, looting, and vigilantism? And that the term "Jayhawkers" was a word that (primarily) Missourians used to refer to all Kansans, regardless of their civil war era history? A word that was intended as derogatory but that Kansans adopted as term of endearment amongst themselves? Groups of people often do that. They take a somebody else's derogatory slur for their group and start using it to refer to one another. It happens. But you might not have known that, because you're an internet troll, and that eats up a lot of time.

Also, the actual Jayhawkers, of whom I am proudly descended (5th Kansas Calvary), have quite a bit more mixed history than your rudimentary understanding apparently allows. It was a pretty violent time. In a brutal war. Looting and "punitive war" strategies were commonly accepted by both sides as legitimate military tactics. And the "property" that Jayhawkers were accused of stealing was often enslaved human beings, whom the Jayhawkers freed by the thousands. And those murders were often executions of slave-hunters, slave-holders and pro-slavery guerillas. The Columbia Tigers did the same thing.

It's also willfully ignorant to pretend that Kansans are the only ones holding onto that history. MU fans talk an awful lot about "Quantrill" and "burning Lawrence" and a there a pretty broad band of Missourians --including some MU fans-- who have Southern sympathies, neo-confederate leanings and support the "lost cause" revision of American history.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 03-03-2012 at 01:35 PM..
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 PM
 
1,291 posts, read 2,514,243 times
Reputation: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Speaking of being ignorant about history, you do know that the Tigers mascot is named after a civil war militia, too, right? One with a history of violence, looting, and vigilantism? And that the term "Jayhawkers" was a word that (primarily) Missourians used to refer to all Kansans, regardless of their civil war era history? A word that was intended as derogatory but that Kansans adopted as term of endearment amongst themselves? Groups of people often do that. They take a somebody else's derogatory slur for their group and start using it to refer to one another. It happens. But you might not have known that, because you're an internet troll, and that eats up a lot of time.

Also, the actual Jayhawkers, of whom I am proudly descended (5th Kansas Calvary), have quite a bit more mixed history than your rudimentary understanding apparently allows. It was a pretty violent time. In a brutal war. Looting and "punitive war" strategies were commonly accepted by both sides as legitimate military tactics. And the "property" that Jayhawkers were accused of stealing was often enslaved human beings, whom the Jayhawkers freed by the thousands. And those murders were often executions of slave-hunters, slave-holders and pro-slavery guerillas. The Columbia Tigers did the same thing.

It's also willfully ignorant to pretend that Kansans are the only ones holding onto that history. MU fans talk an awful lot about "Quantrill" and "burning Lawrence" and a there a pretty broad band of Missourians --including some MU fans-- who have Southern sympathies, neo-confederate leanings and support the "lost cause" revision of American history.

Wrong!
The "Tigers" you're referring to were troops and Columbia residents that protected Columbia from scum like your jayhawks AND Quantrill's men. If you knew as much as you claim you would know Columbia was a Northern town.

In fact it's noted that when hearing of the Missouri Tigers that Bloody Bill Anderson (One of Quantrill's men) avoided Columbia. Maybe that's when they decided on a much easier target???

I agree with you that both Missouri and kansas did brutal things during that era. Most reasonable people are trying to forget that history. That's why I don't understand why kU fans continue the hate by using the jayhawk name. A town in Missouri recently sued kU over this very issue.

Give it up jayhawker! You can't win this argument! You can spin it anyway you wish but the truth is that the jayhawk name should be put to rest.

Never forget jayhawk = scum! The fact that you are proud to be a descendent of a jayhawk speaks volumes!

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 03-03-2012 at 05:40 PM..
 
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
So I went to the mall and saw two people decked out in ku stuff in different parts of the mall (1000 miles from Kansas), pretty much the only people I saw wearing college stuff, I take that back, I think I did see somebody in a WV sweatshirt while in a sporting goods store, then came home and watched the entire KU game (first time I have watched an entire college bb game on tv). Movies were sold out and we could not find ANYTHING to watch on TV or download. I think I have been cursed.
 
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM
 
12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So I went to the mall and saw two people decked out in ku stuff in different parts of the mall (1000 miles from Kansas), pretty much the only people I saw wearing college stuff, I take that back, I think I did see somebody in a WV sweatshirt while in a sporting goods store, then came home and watched the entire KU game (first time I have watched an entire college bb game on tv). Movies were sold out and we could not find ANYTHING to watch on TV or download. I think I have been cursed.
kcmo, you should have said "Rock Chalk!" when you saw them!

I ended up selling my tickets to someone who really wanted to go, and I watched it on TV.

If you like NBA, you might see Thomas Robinson playing next year...

ESPN story on Thomas Robinson:

Thomas Robinson: Family Over Everything - ESPN Video - ESPN
 
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
So your admitting the use of that name for your mascot is indefensible, that's a good start!
I will send you $100 via Paypal if you can show me where I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
In case you haven't noticed it's the mascot that helps continue the hate between the two schools and states.
It's a constant reminder of a past that most have managed to put in their rear view mirror. Classless kU can't figure that out and instead flaunts that history.

By the way, I am not interested in your opinions on other schools behavior. My posts are consistent in staying on topic (jayhawk name = scum). If you can't do the same please move on.
You need two things - a history lesson and some therapy.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,485,099 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So I went to the mall and saw two people decked out in ku stuff in different parts of the mall (1000 miles from Kansas), pretty much the only people I saw wearing college stuff, I take that back, I think I did see somebody in a WV sweatshirt while in a sporting goods store, then came home and watched the entire KU game (first time I have watched an entire college bb game on tv). Movies were sold out and we could not find ANYTHING to watch on TV or download. I think I have been cursed.
Decked out? Would you care to define decked out? You focus on what people wear more than any other male I have ever met in my life. Have you ever thought that maybe the KU gear sticks out to you because you subconsciously are looking for it out of spite?

If you dont follow sports that closely, you probably arent even aware that things people are wearing is college gear. You say you dont really follow sports and then you are consistently making comments about it. There are hundreds of NCAA universities and hundreds more outside of the NCAA. The fact that you claim that KU fans wear gear more often and to more places is a ridiculous claim coming from someone who probably doesnt even know that many college mascots, crest, logos, etc. So, either you have this Freudian thing going on with KU stuff or you make this up to use as a slam against KU which you have an overwhelming bias against. Because I can ensure you that people wear college gear in every city and do so at all kinds of places. College merchandise is a multi-billion dollar business and it wouldnt be if people simply bought the gear to wear to games. Living in DC, I bet you see multiple people wearing Georgetown stuff everyday. Either you fail to recognize it or you dont want to admit it. Because I see people wearing Georgetown stuff here in KC all the time.

Last edited by RjRobb2; 03-04-2012 at 01:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top