U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,489,324 times
Reputation: 2791

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post

I agree with you that both Missouri and kansas did brutal things during that era.
Way to contradict yourself. If you think the Missouri Tigers from the civil war whether you believe they were a militia or not did not due horrible things, you are living in a dream world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
Most reasonable people are trying to forget that history.
Was Winston Churchill a fool? What about Jefferson? No reasonable person wants to forget history no matter how bad or good it was. Why do you think they teach about wars and acts of mass murder like the holocaust in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
That's why I don't understand why kU fans continue the hate by using the jayhawk name. A town in Missouri recently sued kU over this very issue.
You're really using that lawsuit as ammo? Any reasonable person would think that lawsuit was laughable. Let me guess, you filed it? Every MU fan I know even thought it was ridiculous. That might get the award as most frivilous lawsuit for the year. That is something that is actually handed out.


Have you considered seeing a therapist?

 
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 AM
 
1,291 posts, read 2,514,921 times
Reputation: 1264
This is like arguing with a Democrat. No matter what facts you put in front of a jayhawk fan they refuse to acknowledge same. I guess scum can't help but act like scum. All of the personal attacks weren't surprising either, disappointing but expected, after all "you" represent classless kU.

Y'all have fun in the Mountain West beakers!

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 03-04-2012 at 06:03 AM..
 
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
kcmo, you should have said "Rock Chalk!" when you saw them!

I ended up selling my tickets to someone who really wanted to go, and I watched it on TV.

If you like NBA, you might see Thomas Robinson playing next year...

ESPN story on Thomas Robinson:

Thomas Robinson: Family Over Everything - ESPN Video - ESPN
Sometimes I will say I'm from KC to strike up a conversation, but in this case, one was a guy eating in a food court with his kids and the other some just an older man walking in the mall, neither were great opportunities to say something.

As far as the NBA. We tried an NBA game in DC and I was bored stiff. I'm pretty sure that 99%of that was due to the fact that the Wizards are just terrible, so I wouldn't mind going to a future NBA game, but I have little interest in basketball I guess. Sports for me is 60% MLB, 30% NFL and 10% NHL. We are going to four MLB stadiums on the west coast next month. So I am a big sports fan.

I did enjoy watching the KU game though, probably more for watching the fans than anything like all the things they do for different aspects the game like the free throws. But KU is entertaining to watch at Allen Field House. Some of the stats they mentioned like they have lost something like 7 games in 8 years at home is pretty amazing.

Although every time I saw the big jayhawk on the court, I was thinking of what that really stood for now that I know that haha.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Decked out? Would you care to define decked out? You focus on what people wear more than any other male I have ever met in my life. Have you ever thought that maybe the KU gear sticks out to you because you subconsciously are looking for it out of spite?

If you dont follow sports that closely, you probably arent even aware that things people are wearing is college gear. You say you dont really follow sports and then you are consistently making comments about it. There are hundreds of NCAA universities and hundreds more outside of the NCAA. The fact that you claim that KU fans wear gear more often and to more places is a ridiculous claim coming from someone who probably doesnt even know that many college mascots, crest, logos, etc. So, either you have this Freudian thing going on with KU stuff or you make this up to use as a slam against KU which you have an overwhelming bias against. Because I can ensure you that people wear college gear in every city and do so at all kinds of places. College merchandise is a multi-billion dollar business and it wouldnt be if people simply bought the gear to wear to games. Living in DC, I bet you see multiple people wearing Georgetown stuff everyday. Either you fail to recognize it or you dont want to admit it. Because I see people wearing Georgetown stuff here in KC all the time.
You could be right, there may have been others wearing college stuff, but if they were, then it's not as noticeable. The KU people I saw (and typically notice everywhere) were in the typical very visible blue shirts and ballcaps. That stands out like a sour thumb. That's what I mean by "decked out". KU fans don't mess around with a nice polo with a small KU logo. They do in your face shirts that says in huge text "kansas" or a huge logo of the jayhawk and a hat of similar nature.

And no, you don't see that much out here. You simply don't. Not even for the pro teams. Most of the people I see dressed like that around here are from the midwest or south. I have seen more KU, OK, NE, LSU, ALab etc out here than Georgetown, Penn, Vtech etc and when you do see penn state, maryland etc, they are almost always college kids, not middle aged men walking around like a college billboard. I don't live in that part of DC though. I'm sure if I spent a lot of time in georgetown, I would see more of that. But I don't know. Georgetown seems sort of sophisticated and upscale compared to the midwest. People just don't dress down as often in public. Maybe the actual students do, but not the 30 and 40 somethings alumni etc. It's just different.

I'm sorry it bothers you that I bring this up or that you think I'm obsessed with what people wear. I'm not. I just notice the differences between the midwest and east coast and KU fans seem to "want" to be noticed everywhere they go and so they are.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
BTW, just one more observation about "what people wear". I keep saying that few people wear sports gear, especially college sports gear out here. But what they do where when dressed down (not in work clothes etc, typical weekend clothing etc) is under armor. EVERYBODY wears under armor out here. I don't know if that's become popular in KC or not. They are headquarterd in Baltimore so I would expet it to be more, but it's extremely popular out here. It's about all people wear I think and because it's sold everywhere out here, we have accumulated quite a bit of it ourselves since moving out here.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Reputation: 14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Sometimes I will say I'm from KC to strike up a conversation, but in this case, one was a guy eating in a food court with his kids and the other some just an older man walking in the mall, neither were great opportunities to say something.

As far as the NBA. We tried an NBA game in DC and I was bored stiff. I'm pretty sure that 99%of that was due to the fact that the Wizards are just terrible, so I wouldn't mind going to a future NBA game, but I have little interest in basketball I guess. Sports for me is 60% MLB, 30% NFL and 10% NHL. We are going to four MLB stadiums on the west coast next month. So I am a big sports fan.

I did enjoy watching the KU game though, probably more for watching the fans than anything like all the things they do for different aspects the game like the free throws. But KU is entertaining to watch at Allen Field House. Some of the stats they mentioned like they have lost something like 7 games in 8 years at home is pretty amazing.

Although every time I saw the big jayhawk on the court, I was thinking of what that really stood for now that I know that haha.
WOOOOOSH! (free throws).

When the opposing team is introduced, all the students hold a newspaper in front of their faces to show their disinterest. Then when the KU players are introduced they rip up the newspaper and use it for confetti.

When an opposing player fouls out, the students say, in unison, YOU LET THE WHOLE TEAM DOWN!

AFH is always fun, but was extra fun for the Missouri game. When we were down by 19 points and then started to come back, the band started playing "We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore" - so there were nearly 16,000 people singing that.

Then when KU won, the band started playing Hit The Road Jack (and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more!) and again 16,000 people were singing that to Mizzou. It was great! Glad I was there to experience that.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Reputation: 14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
BTW, just one more observation about "what people wear". I keep saying that few people wear sports gear, especially college sports gear out here. But what they do where when dressed down (not in work clothes etc, typical weekend clothing etc) is under armor. EVERYBODY wears under armor out here. I don't know if that's become popular in KC or not. They are headquarterd in Baltimore so I would expet it to be more, but it's extremely popular out here. It's about all people wear I think and because it's sold everywhere out here, we have accumulated quite a bit of it ourselves since moving out here.
I have under armour, but only because I was in Denver over New Year's. It really has not even been cold enough in Kansas City this year to warrant wearing it at all. We've had a very mild winter, just a dusting to a couple of inches of snow a couple of times, and that's it. No extreme cold, hardly any snow, unseasonably mild temperatures. Not that I'm complaining!
 
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have under armour, but only because I was in Denver over New Year's. It really has not even been cold enough in Kansas City this year to warrant wearing it at all. We've had a very mild winter, just a dusting to a couple of inches of snow a couple of times, and that's it. No extreme cold, hardly any snow, unseasonably mild temperatures. Not that I'm complaining!
It's worn 365 days a year here for all seasons, not just winter. I have seen more "H" logos on car windows than local college teams. It's a big deal here.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Reputation: 14101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's worn 365 days a year here for all seasons, not just winter. I have seen more "H" logos on car windows than local college teams. It's a big deal here.
Seems like it would get hot! I even bought some Under Armour socks but I haven't worn them since returning from Denver because my feet would sweat.
 
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: KC
385 posts, read 810,018 times
Reputation: 389
UnderArmor is everywhere and has been for years. I remember people wearing it in South East Kansas 10 years ago. By the time I got to college it had become huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top