U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM

49,034 posts, read 39,482,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Exactly. When the MU board was making this decision, the guys on it from KC which I believe are only like two of them were very much against it. Our governor which is a St. Louis guy had everyone else in his pocket and they finally pushed for the moved and screwed over their second biggest city.
Having grown up in Illinois (rural) I am accutely aware of how a certain dominant section of a state (chicago) can be a much bigger threat to your economic and other welfare than neighboring states.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

10,708 posts, read 18,542,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's important to note that MU made this decision with MU's best interests at heart. There may be a gain or a loss to KCMO as a result but rest assured that MU doesn't give a fig other than how it impacts their revenues and football program exposure.

Just something to mull over when considering whom to *blame*.
I'm not blaming anybody, I'm just saying that it's silly to not play MU just because you don't like that the moved.

And KU might fill Sprint Center, but a half full arena with 5-10k people from out of town is probably better for KC than 18k that drove downtown from around the metro and Lawrence.

Just saying work with MU and keep some big games and or tourneys in KC. I know KU is mad, but who's to say that KU wouldn't have done the same thing if they were in the same position?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,500,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm not blaming anybody, I'm just saying that it's silly to not play MU just because you don't like that the moved.
You're simplying matters.

I asked this before and you did not answer so I will ask again.

Let's say you have a business partner and you have a contract with said partner and you recently signed some contracts together that will bring big revenues to your firm. On top of that, you have agreed that even with your business struggling, you will stick with it. Then, one day your business partner walks into your office, packs his stuff and said he found a new partner that will offer him a bigger percentage of profits. This partner has put your business in danger and left you high and drive jeopardizing your recently signed contracts.

Would you turn around and do business with this person after he leaves? Probably not because that would be stupid and make you an idiot.

Quote:
I'm not blaming anybody, I'm just saying that it's silly to not play MU just because you don't like that the moved. And KU might fill Sprint Center, but a half full arena with 5-10k people from out of town is probably better for KC than 18k that drove downtown from around the metro and Lawrence.
Like I said, it is more than them just not liking that they moved. It is continuing to do business with a business partner that straight ****ed you over.

Where are you getting a half full arena with 5k to 10k people from out of town from?

Quote:
Just saying work with MU and keep some big games and or tourneys in KC. I know KU is mad, but who's to say that KU wouldn't have done the same thing if they were in the same position?
Do you think KU could not have jumped conferences if they wanted? They offer more than MU does. The Big 12 North schools had an agreement that they would stick by each other.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM

49,034 posts, read 39,482,063 times
Quote:

And KU might fill Sprint Center, but a half full arena with 5-10k people from out of town is probably better for KC than 18k that drove downtown from around the metro and Lawrence.

In your thread title and opening post you are blaming KU and their fans for killing the rivalry.

MU left the Big 12, hopefully that works out for the metro revenues etc. but that was a unilateral decision made by MU.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,250,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What exactly do they gain? They can sellout the Sprint Center playing anybody so why play a game where they would have to split 50-50 with MU?

In football, why would you play MU when you can play someone like Murray State in non-con and get a win to pad your bowl eligibility. It sucks college football works like that but it is a very flawed system. MU wants to play KU right now but once KU has an upswing and are competitive again, they will not want to anymore. They are now playing in the SEC and are going to have a hard time getting conference wins which means they need to sweep their non-con to get into bowls.
You don't think rivalries are good an important for college athletic programs? That's what I mean by KU's gain. It creates long-term, generational loyalty. You can't buy that kind of thing.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,646,417 times
MU made the decision to leave the Big 12. Why WOULD KU want to play them when they will be in a different conference? KU didn't leave, MU did. Why are you trying to blame KU?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM

5,758 posts, read 9,500,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
You don't think rivalries are good an important for college athletic programs? That's what I mean by KU's gain. It creates long-term, generational loyalty. You can't buy that kind of thing.
Trust me, I am a diehard sports fan and rivalries are one of my favorite things about it and there is a part of me that wants it to continue. But, being that MU left the conference and playing them does little for KU on a financial or national reputation standpoint, there just isnt a reason for it to continue.

I think they will eventually play each other even if it is every few years. I could see them being matched up in a bowl game sometime by the bowl committees or put in the same bracket as the NCAA tournament.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM

481 posts, read 581,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
MU made the decision to leave the Big 12. Why WOULD KU want to play them when they will be in a different conference? KU didn't leave, MU did. Why are you trying to blame KU?
Because kcmo hates everything KU and more specifically KANSAS...he can't stand it when he sees someone wearing a KU hat at a Royals game (it reminds him of KANSAS)....he's mentioned that many times on this forum and KCRag. He'll say how much he likes Lawrence, but then go on and mention how stupid people look when they have a KU hat or sweatshirt on. But I believe he honestly thinks he has never seen a MU fan wearing an MU hat or sweatshirt, it's all us poor Kansans that are from rural towns that don't know how to dress. Maybe it's because there are 4x as many KU alums in the metro as there are MU alums

And yes, I believe he was living here in 2007 when KU and MU were ranked #2 and #3 and it was a nationally televised game...my friends in NYC, who all went to KU, watched it.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,659,147 times
Let's cut to the chase here, folks.

Now, I've been away far too long to get into the nuts and bolts nitty-gritty of what going on in KC region college sports. No matter, because that is all beside the point and irrelevant to the reason it was posted.

The entire transparent purpose of this troll thread is to vent more anti-Kansas contempt. These threads should be deleted upon arrival.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:03 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,659,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Because kcmo hates everything KU...he can't stand it when he sees someone wearing a KU hat at a Royals game....he's mentioned that many times on this forum and KCRag. He'll say how much he likes Lawrence, but then go on and mention how stupid people look when they have a KU hat or sweatshirt on. But I believe he honestly thinks he has never seen a MU fan wearing an MU hat or sweatshirt, it's all us poor Kansans that are from rural towns that don't know how to dress. Maybe it's because there are 4x as many KU alums in the metro as there are MU alums

And yes, I believe he was living here in 2007 when KU and MU were ranked #2 and #3 and it was a nationally televised game...my friends in NYC, who all went to KU, watched it.
Thank you.

Didn't see your post 'til I finished mine. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City