U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
 
12,618 posts, read 14,633,813 times
Reputation: 14131

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Because kcmo hates everything KU and more specifically KANSAS...he can't stand it when he sees someone wearing a KU hat at a Royals game (it reminds him of KANSAS)....he's mentioned that many times on this forum and KCRag. He'll say how much he likes Lawrence, but then go on and mention how stupid people look when they have a KU hat or sweatshirt on. But I believe he honestly thinks he has never seen a MU fan wearing an MU hat or sweatshirt, it's all us poor Kansans that are from rural towns that don't know how to dress. Maybe it's because there are 4x as many KU alums in the metro as there are MU alums

And yes, I believe he was living here in 2007 when KU and MU were ranked #2 and #3 and it was a nationally televised game...my friends in NYC, who all went to KU, watched it.
I feel like telling my Little Tommy joke, or using some of the creative names for Mizzou, just to antagonize kcmo, but I guess I'll refrain.

 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Reputation: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I feel like telling my Little Tommy joke, or using some of the creative names for Mizzou, just to antagonize kcmo, but I guess I'll refrain.
Making fun of MIZZOU won't bother me. Like I said, It's cool if they beat KU, but honestly I don't care. I just like watching big sporting events in KC.

My wife on the other hand annoys me. She is into college sports and will watch any KU game that is on tv just so she can scream and holler for whoever they are playing (she is hard core mizzou). Drives me freaking nuts because I don't care. I would personally much rather watch pawn stars on discovery channel than a college sports game. haha. I'm just glad she doesn't wear MU crap to Royals games, I would have to put a stop to that .

Now if you want to antagonize me, just rip on kcmo, indepedence etc. That will probably do the trick.
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But come on with the MU was chosen to join the SEC over WV because they were a confederate state. That's just hilarious. I guess you could be right and if so, wow, this country has not come very far has it?
This has nothing to do with KU, it is absolutely 100% true. The SEC would never allow a northern state into their conference - ever.

You may think it is a wild accusation but if you knew anything about the history of the SEC, you would know that it isnt that far offbase.

A teacher in Georgia just got fired for making math problems about slaves picking apples. The country has come far but a lot of people in the south have not.

If this isnt true then can you explain why they would pick MU over WVU when WVU makes more sense in every single way other than what side they were on in the Civil War?
 
Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,058 posts, read 5,083,550 times
Reputation: 4062
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If this isnt true then can you explain why they would pick MU over WVU when WVU makes more sense in every single way other than what side they were on in the Civil War?
I assume the powers that be in the SEC made a determination that Missouri made more sense than WVU. I'm guessing it had to do with the following:

1. Mizzou is a much better school academically (member of AAU, etc.). WVU, not so much.
2. Mizzou is the flagship state school in a state with a population of 6 million. WVU, not so much.
3. Missouri's population expands the SEC's TV footprint and brings two relatively large markets into the fold in STL and KC. West Virginia, not so much.
4. Missouri shares borders with three SEC states (AR, KY and TN).

And while Missouri may not be a dominant or elite football program, it has been elevated under Pinkel to consistently have a winning record and play in bowl games just about every year for almost a decade now.

Anyway, the decision has been made. Missouri is now SEC country. Deal with it.

Personally, I don't care if they play KU or not.
 
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Dallas
103 posts, read 212,994 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Chamber of Commerce sees ways for Missouri to still play games in KC - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/18/3377920/mus-alden-meets-with-kc-chamber.html - broken link)

I'm not a huge college sports fan, but the KU/MU thing is part of KC's culture and one of the most intense rivalries in all of sports.

What is the deal with KU and KU fans being so mad at MU for leaving the big12? Seems like this is a great opportunity for MU to rise to a new level and get more national exposure and they could do that while keeping the KS/MO rivalry intact.

I just find it funny reading all the comments etc about this topic and seeing how the KU fans are like "don't let the door hit you on your way out".

I guess it's a good thing because KU football seems to me like it's a much lower level program. Bring in a powerhouse from the SEC and fill arrowhead stadium every year rather than waste time with KU and a game that can't be seen outside of the KC area. The game a few years ago when they were both ranked 1 and 2 was not even on tv outside of KC. So that's sort of KU's loss by no longer wanting to play MU.

But the two schools are more equal in basketball (I know KU has the better program there), so why not try to play that game in kc once a year?

MIZZOU plays Illinois in StLouis every year.

Anyway, I just think KU fans and KU itself it being a bit short sighted here.
Ok so I honestly ride the fence n this subject. I don't think that the KU/MU rivalry should stop, but I also see where KU is coming from. My question to you KCMO is would you have asked this question if it were the other way around. If MU didn't want the game and KU did, would you have made this topic???? The only reason I ask is because anything that has to do with Kansas you bash, so being that they don't to much care for the game anymore does that upset you? Again I agree with some of what you said but also ride the fence because I see both schools logic. But now mizzou can start another rivalry in the new conference.(ARKANSAS) also one last this mizzou does have a good basketball team this year, but the team don't compare. True mizzou is pretty decent, but year after year they never come close to KU except every once in a while when they have a good year. Football I see them being a closer match up although MU has been giving it to Kansas lately lol. ( I really don't reply much at all, but every once in a while you know I have to get on and five you a hard time.)
 
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,150,857 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Really? Are you Serious? The civil war crap that ku fans constantly bring up is over the top. It's like the only thing they seem to have to put down Missouri (that and the meth crap which is also BS).

Have you been to WV??? I don't care if it was a "northern" state or not, in reality, it's one of the....(nevermind, I'm not even going there).

And KS?? It was a free state sure, but good god, look at the place? It's one of the most racially segregated states in the country especially in the KC area and has some pretty intense racial anti black history, especially johnson county. Do you really want to go there again?
If you think Kansans are the ones keeping the "civil war crap" alive, you are deluded worse than I thought. That's a southern hang-up, pure and simple, and there is a significant swath of Missouri and the MU fanbase that chooses to identify as southern, and uses their MU fanaticism as a proxy. Those same fans were very excited to join the SEC, because it represented a "return to their southern roots" and other such claptrap.

And if you fail to understand how much confederate revisionism and lost-cause, "states rights", veiled racism is part of the SEC culture, then you are either stupid or willfully ignorant. Knowing your internet persona and your obvious vindetta against Kansas pretty well, I suspect the latter.

As for Kansas being "one of the most racially segregated states in the country", that's demonstrably false, and it's anti-black history is certainly no worse than average, even disregarding the state's considerable history of militant abolitionism, a history that Kansans are rightly quite proud of.
 
Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
 
266 posts, read 473,800 times
Reputation: 229
Here you go again kcmo with your KS side bashing. MU leaves for the SEC, and you of course blame the Kansas side for not wanting to cooperate with all of MU's demands. MU ditched the Big 12 and that's their business; KU has no real reason to care and will do just fine without them.
 
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I assume the powers that be in the SEC made a determination that Missouri made more sense than WVU. I'm guessing it had to do with the following:

1. Mizzou is a much better school academically (member of AAU, etc.). WVU, not so much.
2. Mizzou is the flagship state school in a state with a population of 6 million. WVU, not so much.
3. Missouri's population expands the SEC's TV footprint and brings two relatively large markets into the fold in STL and KC. West Virginia, not so much.
4. Missouri shares borders with three SEC states (AR, KY and TN).
Those are all valid points and things MU has going for them but if WVU were a Confederate state, I stand by them being pursued. I have three friends who are SEC alums and they all openly admit the Confederate pride within the conference. SEC is very proud of being southern and a Union state would never be invited. SEC is also very money driven and from what I have read, WVU has a larger budget and revenue than MU does. SEC also does not enjoy competing with professional sports and I believe in every state except for Missouri, the college teams reign supreme over their professional counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
And while Missouri may not be a dominant or elite football program, it has been elevated under Pinkel to consistently have a winning record and play in bowl games just about every year for almost a decade now.
What happens when Pinkel is gone? What happens when Pinkel can no longer recruit in Texas and recruits in Florida and other SEC states do not pick MU over schools like Florida and LSU? From what I have heard from people in Columbia, Pinkel is not a big fan of the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Anyway, the decision has been made. Missouri is now SEC country. Deal with it.
What about my posts makes you think I am not dealing with it? I think the Big 12 is stronger for it. It just sucks for K-State because they now sit alone at the bottom of the league in conference titles among members. With that said, I think it is a bad deal for Kansas City as a whole. I do not know how any Kansas Citian who is also a MU fan can be supportive of the move.
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's epic nonsense on your part, but if you'd like to post a link, feel free.
I have no link. But, if you talk to longtime SEC alumni and fans and also read some articles written by SEC sportswriters, it isnt far-fetched or epic nonsense. I was a little perplexed when I first heard it as well but then I heard it again, again, again, and then even heard it on 810 and 610.

Confederate pride is very much apart of the SEC culture. If you have followed college sports, there always seems to be a story every once in awhile out of the SEC where it shines through. Such as a couple of years ago when one of the big Auburn (I think it was Auburn but it could have been Alabama) boosters said something about black football players being the equivalent to slaves or when someone else said the SEC current domination in college football makes up for what should have been a confederate victory in the Civil War. I couldnt make this stuff up if I tried.
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,150,857 times
Reputation: 1916
Here the problem with your argument:

Missouri was a Union state. (And so was Kentucky.) In fact, the name of Missouri's mascot, the Tigers, is taken from the name of the Union militia in Columbia that defended citizens from secessionist terrorism (just like the Jayhawkers in Kansas).

In that regard, West Virginia is historically no different than those other two -- a slave state that never seceded from the Union. I think you'd have a hard time arguing that contemporary West Virginia is not now culturally, linguistically and socially more southern than Missouri by several orders of magnitude and it is arguably as or more southern than Kentucky.

There were 2 factors involved in this decision: money and opportunity. Pure and simple.

(Either that or ugly southern states like Alabama and Lousiana simply couldn't handle the competition of the most geographically gorgeous state in the nation so they took middle-of-road-Missouri instead. They already have to deal with how pretty northern Arkansas is, West Virginia's stunning and incomparable natural beauty would probably be too much for a place as boring as Georgia to deal with. And everybody knows those crackers have fragile egos.)

Last edited by SPonteKC; 01-22-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top