U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
2,324 posts, read 1,238,309 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
That's a southern hang-up, pure and simple, and there is a significant swath of Missouri and the MU fanbase that chooses to identify as southern, and uses their MU fanaticism as a proxy. Those same fans were very excited to join the SEC, because it represented a "return to their southern roots" and other such claptrap.
You have no idea what you're talking about but you obviously don't let that stop you.

MU fans are excited about joining the SEC because it is the premier football conference in the country and offers MU stability and the opportunity to grow as a program and University. Period. I'm a Mizzou alum as are most of my friends and not a single one expressed such thoughts. Most actually wanted to go to the Big 10 if we had a choice, but most are thrilled with going to the SEC.

 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
 
698 posts, read 398,246 times
Reputation: 650
Here are some comments from Mizzou fans that can be found with a quick, cursory perusal of the internet:

from this site:
Quote:
I am pulling for the SEC, it will helps us get back to our long lost Southern roots. Who knows, we may even get a fan or two from KY to jump on the bandwagon.

Go Tigers!!!!
From the comments section of the Columbia Daily Tribune:
Quote:
We are now more properly aligned with our Confederate roots.
from "mizzou fan in austin":
Quote:
when it comes to our sporting traditions and rivalries, make no mistake the South is all over our heritage. And yes, Mizzou's band played "Dixie" into the 1950s.
and:

Quote:
Besides, the Big Ten doesn't want us because of our Confederate ties anyway. They are the Land of Lincoln up there afterall, you know.

from "TigerInDC":

Quote:
...and then there was the year those dirty low-down wife-rapin, kid-killin, farm-burnin, horse-stealin, blue-bellied, miscegenatin', mule-marryin', cousin-kissin, tee-totalin *******s from Kansas dared to wear red socks in Missouri for a game with our Tigers.

We whupped 'em. Don't be bringin' no red legs into Columbia.

Ain't no coincidence Mizzou's got a running back named Josey on the team. We're thinking about just renaming the team captains "Josey" every year now going forward.



and some from SEC fans.

Quote:
Missouri suits my definition of a Southern state and older Mizzou alumni tell me that when they were there the Marching Mizzou band played Dixie before the football games.

So yes, being southern does count in the SEC. Maybe not as much as it used to, but it does still count. At least in my mind it does. And I'd love to have Mizzou join us in the SEC along with the Aggies.

Quote:
I did have family from Alabama and Georgia who fought and died during the War of Northern Aggression like many Southerners. I have great Southern pride. My family goes back centuries in Alabama and Georgia. The Southern connection is very important in the SEC. Black or White does not matter in the SEC, we are all Southerners and family. Missouri would make a great fit to the SEC. Their background is certainly Southern and I hope they get invited.

I know its not a majority of the fanbase, but if you think there's not a sizeable population of neo-confederate MU dorks who veiw the university's SEC membership as a calling card for their "deo vindice" nonsense, you're not paying much attention. Enjoy watching the Stars and Bars wave from attennae in the Faurot parking lot, man. I feel for you.
 
Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,740 posts, read 5,819,823 times
Reputation: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about but you obviously don't let that stop you.

MU fans are excited about joining the SEC because it is the premier football conference in the country and offers MU stability and the opportunity to grow as a program and University. Period. I'm a Mizzou alum as are most of my friends and not a single one expressed such thoughts. Most actually wanted to go to the Big 10 if we had a choice, but most are thrilled with going to the SEC.
Not all MU fans are excited about it. I have heard more than a few voice their displeasure for the move for a number of reasons and a co-worker who graduated from MU who has chosen to no longer support MU athletics.
 
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
 
698 posts, read 398,246 times
Reputation: 650
I, also, know some MU fans who are pretty embarassed about the prospect of being associated with the SEC. Most of them are the fans who are actual alums, and thus have an interest in the academic institution, not just its affiliated football program. Many of them are especially embarrassed by the way SEC-membership is being used by a part of the (mostly non-alum) fanbase to champion its neo-confederate bona fides.

Look, I have nothing negative to say about the University of Missouri as a place of higher learning. However, I think the onus on our public universities to serve as incubators of semi-professional sports is something our nation should be ashamed of. KU's athletics department and KU basketball is as despicable as any of the other marquee, historic, powerhouse programs in basketball, which are only marginally less corrupt and destructive than marquee football programs. But I didn't go to KU to play or watch basketball, I went to get a degree and I wouldn't want a degree from most of the schools in the SEC. I can honestly say, there are only a couple schools in the Big 12 I would've been upset to see my children attend (UT and A&M).

Until they joined the SEC, MU would have never crossed my mind as an objectionable place for my children to attend college. Now I'd have to really think about it.

Last edited by s.davis; 01-22-2012 at 09:42 PM..
 
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,740 posts, read 5,819,823 times
Reputation: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I, also, know some MU fans who are pretty embarassed about the prospect of being associated with the SEC. Most of them are the fans who are actual alums, and thus have an interest in the academic institution, not just its affiliated football program. Many of them are especially embarrassed by the way SEC-membership is being used by a part of the (mostly non-alum) fanbase to champion its neo-confederate bona fides.

Look, I have nothing negative to say about the University of Missouri as a place of higher learning. However, I think the onus on our public universities to serve as incubators of semi-professional sports is something our nation should be ashamed of. KU's athletics department and KU basketball is as despicable as any of the other marquee, historic, powerhouse programs in basketball, which are only marginally less corrupt and destructive than marquee football programs. But I didn't go to KU to play or watch basketball, I went to get a degree and I wouldn't want a degree from most of the schools in the SEC. I can honestly say, there are only a couple schools in the Big 12 I would've been upset to see my children attend (UT and A&M).

Until they joined the SEC, MU would have never crossed my mind as an objectionable place for my children to attend college. Now I'd have to really think about it.


How is athletics any different than say other professions such as business or politics that are more corrupt than sports? Colleges are where most professions begin and a lot of professions are corrupt.

Other than the ticket scandal which was the acts of a few dumbasses do you consider KU Basketball to be corrupt? Bill Self is a class act and he captains that ship. Lew Perkins was a snake but Zenger has a great track record.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
2,324 posts, read 1,238,309 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I, also, know some MU fans who are pretty embarassed about the prospect of being associated with the SEC. Most of them are the fans who are actual alums, and thus have an interest in the academic institution, not just its affiliated football program. Many of them are especially embarrassed by the way SEC-membership is being used by a part of the (mostly non-alum) fanbase to champion its neo-confederate bona fides.

Look, I have nothing negative to say about the University of Missouri as a place of higher learning. However, I think the onus on our public universities to serve as incubators of semi-professional sports is something our nation should be ashamed of. KU's athletics department and KU basketball is as despicable as any of the other marquee, historic, powerhouse programs in basketball, which are only marginally less corrupt and destructive than marquee football programs. But I didn't go to KU to play or watch basketball, I went to get a degree and I wouldn't want a degree from most of the schools in the SEC. I can honestly say, there are only a couple schools in the Big 12 I would've been upset to see my children attend (UT and A&M).

Until they joined the SEC, MU would have never crossed my mind as an objectionable place for my children to attend college. Now I'd have to really think about it.
I am an alum and a fan and I'm thrilled with the move. In fact, I'm reupping for season tickets for the fall. And while the support for the move was not unanimous, it certainly seems to be widespread. I base that on the opinions expressed by everyone I personally know who is an MU alum and also on the news stories covering the move.

I suppose if you are an alum who has no interest in sports at all you might be at best neutral on the move or perhaps hate it, but I would suggest those folks are in the minority.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
2,324 posts, read 1,238,309 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Here are some comments from Mizzou fans that can be found with a quick, cursory perusal of the internet:

from this site:


From the comments section of the Columbia Daily Tribune:


from "mizzou fan in austin":


and:




from "TigerInDC":






and some from SEC fans.






I know its not a majority of the fanbase, but if you think there's not a sizeable population of neo-confederate MU dorks who veiw the university's SEC membership as a calling card for their "deo vindice" nonsense, you're not paying much attention. Enjoy watching the Stars and Bars wave from attennae in the Faurot parking lot, man. I feel for you.
Some of those were obviously satire. It's a far cry from a few fans on an internet message board identifying with southern roots to being a racist. And I will enjoy interacting with fans from other SEC teams when they come to Columbia, which they no doubt will do en masse.

Enjoy continued obscurity in college football. It's a great time for Mizzou. Onward and upward.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
 
698 posts, read 398,246 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I am an alum and a fan and I'm thrilled with the move. In fact, I'm reupping for season tickets for the fall. And while the support for the move was not unanimous, it certainly seems to be widespread. I base that on the opinions expressed by everyone I personally know who is an MU alum and also on the news stories covering the move.

I suppose if you are an alum who has no interest in sports at all you might be at best neutral on the move or perhaps hate it, but I would suggest those folks are in the minority.
Agree.

The only voices of dissent I've heard are alumni, and I don't personally know many MU almni. I do know a lot of MU fans, and they're pretty much universally gleeful about joining the SEC (which only confirms what I've always suspected about the Missouri fanbase).
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
 
698 posts, read 398,246 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Some of those were obviously satire.
I don't buy it. If you choose to believe that then fine, we're not going to agree.

And neo-confederate revisionism is a form of racism in my book. There's no sense in you and I having an internet back and forth about it.

Obscurity in college football is not really something that concerns me. What does trouble me is how important people seem to think it is. As a rule, the more important athletics are to a university, the less esteem I have for that institution.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
2,324 posts, read 1,238,309 times
Reputation: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I don't buy it. If you choose to believe that then fine, we're not going to agree.

And neo-confederate revisionism is a form of racism in my book. There's no sense in you and I having an internet back and forth about it.

Obscurity in college football is not really something that concerns me. What does trouble me is how important people seem to think it is. As a rule, the more important athletics are to a university, the less esteem I have for that institution.
That's a good rule. Fortunately, Mizzou outranks KU academically:


National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top