U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,070,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Agree.

The only voices of dissent I've heard are alumni, and I don't personally know many MU almni. I do know a lot of MU fans, and they're pretty much universally gleeful about joining the SEC (which only confirms what I've always suspected about the Missouri fanbase).
Most of the Mizzou fans I knew wanted to move to the Big Ten, as did the alumni. The only real reason I think we picked the SEC was because the Big Twelve crumbled as a desirable place to remain, and we got fed up with waiting for the Big Ten to say yes, so we went with the next best match. As far as being gleeful about joining the SEC....that's got more to do with the quality of the teams than it does regions. Everyone i've ever spoken to, and even the reporters of ESPN, have said Mizzou is a "Midwestern university in the SEC."

Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,150,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
That's a good rule. Fortunately, Mizzou outranks KU academically:

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges
I was aware of that.

I am also of the mind that the the University of Kansas places way too much stock in in basketball pedigree. To the detriment of Kansans and KU students, and it would take a miraculous orator to convince me otherwise.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,496,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
That's a good rule. Fortunately, Mizzou outranks KU academically:

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Actually, they dont. That list means very little to nothing. They use about 4 different statistics to put together that list versus the ones that use dozens if not hundreds of statistics. It's put together by a magazine and there is no weight behind it. There was a thread here awhile back where someone posted several list (the ones that actually mean something such as the Shanghai rankings) and KU outranks MU in every single one.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,150,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Actually, they dont. That list means very little to nothing. They use about 4 different statistics to put together that list versus the ones that use dozens if not hundreds of statistics. It's put together by a magazine and there is no weight behind it. There was a thread here awhile back where someone posted several list (the ones that actually mean something such as the Shanghai rankings) and KU outranks MU in every single one.
I was not aware of that.

But I don't care. Undergraduate state school education is largely what students make of it. These kind of lists are pretty arbitrary at best and silly at worst. I understand that individual graduate school program ratings have some justification in the real world, and to a lesser degree a few marquee undergad programs (like MU's J-school) have some obvious weight, but I don't think there's any real difference in the education level and capabilities of the average bachelor's-level graduate from MU, KU, U of O, or FSU.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I was not aware of that.

But I don't care. Undergraduate state school education is largely what students make of it. These kind of lists are pretty arbitrary at best and silly at worst. I understand that individual graduate school program ratings have some justification in the real world, and to a lesser degree a few marquee undergad programs (like MU's J-school) have some obvious weight, but I don't think there's any real difference in the education level and capabilities of the average bachelor's-level graduate from MU, KU, U of O, or FSU.
You're right. The difference between KU and MU is marginal at best. A good friend of my mother-in-law is a retired professor and she spends a month a summer in D.C. reviewing data about universities all over the country for the sake of accreditation, funding, etc. She has told me that the difference is very little but if her kids were choosing between the two she would push them to go to KU. She said that she likes the staff a lot better and student's rate their experience better there.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,070,883 times
I believe that in a perfect world, the MU-KU rivalry would be preserved and the Big Ten would have accepted both of us, as that is where the most similar culture and proper regional grouping exists.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,237,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Most of the Mizzou fans I knew wanted to move to the Big Ten, as did the alumni. The only real reason I think we picked the SEC was because the Big Twelve crumbled as a desirable place to remain, and we got fed up with waiting for the Big Ten to say yes, so we went with the next best match. As far as being gleeful about joining the SEC....that's got more to do with the quality of the teams than it does regions. Everyone i've ever spoken to, and even the reporters of ESPN, have said Mizzou is a "Midwestern university in the SEC."
This.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
KU fans hanging out in Mill Creek Park near the Plaza. I don't even know what the point of this video is, but check these guys out? Are they for KU or not becaue they are seriously dorking it up. I think that guy I saw at BWI the other day was one of them though

"We Are KU" Music Video - YouTube

Last edited by kcmo; 02-05-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KU fans hanging out in Mill Creek Park near the Plaza. I don't even know what the point of this video is, but check these guys out? Are they for KU or not becaue they are seriously dorking it up. I think that guy I saw as BWI the other day was one of them though

"We Are KU" Music Video - YouTube

Some white guys from MU made up this "We are MU" video that is super cheezy. It is three white MU kids trying to rap and adding autotuning to their voice. MU fans are super embarrassed by it. This video is basically a spoof of the MU video which was really, really bad. The MU video is on Youtube if you can find it. It is really good comedy no matter who you support.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Some white guys from MU made up this "We are MU" video that is super cheezy. It is three white MU kids trying to rap and adding autotuning to their voice. MU fans are super embarrassed by it. This video is basically a spoof of the MU video which was really, really bad. The MU video is on Youtube if you can find it. It is really good comedy no matter who you support.
Ahh, so they are mocking something mu fans made haha.

BTW, we watched the game. What a game. I was sure from the start that KU would win that.

I don't watch much basketball at all. We went to a Wizards game last week and it was so freaking boring. The wizards are terrible. So this is a case where I'm liking college bb more than the pros when it's typically the other way around.

Anyway, still seems silly for KU and MU to not play anymore. But good luck to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City