U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,241,757 times
Reputation: 3739

Advertisements

I thought the MU video was moderately funny (and obviously intentionally cheesy), but don't blame KU for making fun of it in the least.

I was pretty confident that game would come down to a mere posession or two from the get go -- MU wanted it more on Saturday and at the end they sure played that way. And for once I didn't curse Denmon through the whole thing. Very happy aragx6 that night

But to the point of this thread, I laughed my little heart out when the ESPN reporter was talking about the rivalry and the teams continuing to play each other. MU's AD was all "We want to continue to play them in all the sports yay! puppies and rainbows!" and KU's literally said "It's like if your husband divorced you and then wanted to come back and live in your house" -- We were married? They sure like playing the spurned lover card right?

 
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,498,252 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I thought the MU video was moderately funny (and obviously intentionally cheesy), but don't blame KU for making fun of it in the least.

I was pretty confident that game would come down to a mere posession or two from the get go -- MU wanted it more on Saturday and at the end they sure played that way. And for once I didn't curse Denmon through the whole thing. Very happy aragx6 that night

But to the point of this thread, I laughed my little heart out when the ESPN reporter was talking about the rivalry and the teams continuing to play each other. MU's AD was all "We want to continue to play them in all the sports yay! puppies and rainbows!" and KU's literally said "It's like if your husband divorced you and then wanted to come back and live in your house" -- We were married? They sure like playing the spurned lover card right?


It's a poor analogy. The correct analogy is if you had a business partner and that business partner walked out in the middle of your contract jeopardizing your business to go work with someone else and then wanted to come back and do business with you to make additional money. If that happened, you would say hell no and this is the exact same thing.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 AM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
For one thing, KU does not need MU. MU sells out their arena twice a year - when they are playing KU. KU sells out Allen Fieldhouse EVERY GAME. KU plays non-conference games with schools like Duke and Kentucky. Why would we want to play a non-conference game against MU in basketball? They have a somewhat decent team this year, but most years their basketball team is crap and they've never made it to the Final Four. It is of no benefit for us to play them. It would be like us playing Wichita State. For another, I have never seen a fanbase like MU's. Just suffice it to say that KU fans/alums that I know just want to be rid of them after this year and never have to deal with that fanbase again. When MU decided to move to another conference, didn't that kind of mean that they intended to play other teams, not KU? That's fine, no big deal to us, but now why are they whining that they still want to play us? They are the ones who chose to leave and there is no reason for us to continue to play them.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 AM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
But to the point of this thread, I laughed my little heart out when the ESPN reporter was talking about the rivalry and the teams continuing to play each other. MU's AD was all "We want to continue to play them in all the sports yay! puppies and rainbows!" and KU's literally said "It's like if your husband divorced you and then wanted to come back and live in your house" -- We were married? They sure like playing the spurned lover card right?
Actually, I think Bill Self used that quote but he was paraphrasing the quote made by the women's coach for one of the Texas teams (can't remember which). She is actually the one who made that analogy. I though it was bad for Bill self to use the analogy too; maybe they caught him off guard. Also on TV they were making it sound like KU fans WANT to still play MU but it's the administration/Bill Self saying no. I don't think so. Every KU fan/alum (and I am one) that I know says they do NOT want to play MU anymore. MU says it's sour grapes. No it's not. When we heard they were leaving the conference, no one that I knew really cared. Not a big deal to us. But there's no reason for us to play them anymore. We have bigger fish to fry.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 AM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KU fans hanging out in Mill Creek Park near the Plaza. I don't even know what the point of this video is, but check these guys out? Are they for KU or not becaue they are seriously dorking it up. I think that guy I saw at BWI the other day was one of them though


"We Are KU" Music Video - YouTube
The point of the video was that it was a response to/satire of MU's video.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,531,221 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have never seen a fanbase like MU's.
So what is wrong with MU's fanbase? Before you go and call them hicks (something I have always found hilarious, kansans calling missourians hicks), know that the vast majority of MU alumni seem to come from the St Louis and KC metro areas, not rural MO and generally from affluent suburbs of those cities (including JoCo).

Maybe the students are nuts? I don't know, I didn't go there. But I know a lot of alumni from there (all from KC or StL) and they are about as normal as you can get. While most are big MU fans....I'll say this again....they don't care about the school near as much as KU fans. Yes I know, they might care more if they went to the final four every year. But Iím just not sure. Again, a large portion of MIZZOU fans are from large cities and those people tend to be more into pro sports than collegiate, especially when not in school any more. Ever been to Columbia? I saw more KC chiefs, royals, cards and blues stuff there than mizzou. It's more about StL vs KC than MU vs KU (or any other rival). Same with the other smaller schools around the state including the one I went to.

People I know that went to school there like mizzou and will get into some smack talk with KU fans and that's about it. They rarely wear mizzou clothing or go to games etc. They have generally moved on in life, but will watch them on TV and will show up for the big games in KC and StL venues.

This could be wrong, but this is a personal observation.

From what I have seen on TV and have generally noticed via friends, it looks like MU fans that show up to games are mostly current students while KU games seem to have a higher percent of adult alumni at their games. This might have something to do with the possible differences of maturity of one vs the other. College students are generally immature. It is what it is.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,060 posts, read 5,085,512 times
Reputation: 4062
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
For one thing, KU does not need MU. MU sells out their arena twice a year - when they are playing KU. .
I'm not going to debate the broader point that KU has much better attendence, but this is a false statement. The MU athletic department's website shows MU had the same attendance for its home games against OU and Texas as KU. And technically, I understand all of the tickets are sold for many of the conference games, although certainly the TV views show that people are not in all of the seats.

To look at another sport, I understand KU's football attendence was not very good and KU did not really support the MU/KU game at Arrowhead this year.

It's amazing what winning does to energize a fanbase. KU has been on quite a roll in basketball for some time.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,241,757 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Actually, I think Bill Self used that quote but he was paraphrasing the quote made by the women's coach for one of the Texas teams (can't remember which). She is actually the one who made that analogy. I though it was bad for Bill self to use the analogy too; maybe they caught him off guard. Also on TV they were making it sound like KU fans WANT to still play MU but it's the administration/Bill Self saying no. I don't think so. Every KU fan/alum (and I am one) that I know says they do NOT want to play MU anymore. MU says it's sour grapes. No it's not. When we heard they were leaving the conference, no one that I knew really cared. Not a big deal to us. But there's no reason for us to play them anymore. We have bigger fish to fry.
Funny that you can do nothing apparently but talk about it then.

But focus on winning right now or ya'll are gonna fall right out of the top 10!
 
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,498,252 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm not going to debate the broader point that KU has much better attendence, but this is a false statement. The MU athletic department's website shows MU had the same attendance for its home games against OU and Texas as KU. And technically, I understand all of the tickets are sold for many of the conference games, although certainly the TV views show that people are not in all of the seats.
MU is winning so people are going to games, when the winning stops, the attendance will drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
To look at another sport, I understand KU's football attendence was not very good and KU did not really support the MU/KU game at Arrowhead this year.

It's amazing what winning does to energize a fanbase. KU has been on quite a roll in basketball for some time.
KU fans didnt go to the MU game as a way of showing MU that they no longer care about them or playing them. I know a lot of people who had bought tickets but after MU decided to go to the SEC, they skipped the game. Also, a lot of KU fans were voicing their displeasure with Turner Gill by skipping games.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Funny that you can do nothing apparently but talk about it then.

But focus on winning right now or ya'll are gonna fall right out of the top 10!
Ummmm...what am I supposed to do about it? If MU is leaving the conference, it's no skin off my back. I don't care!

I think we are focusing on winning, especially on 02/25. Remember, we are a team with multiple championships and trips to the Final Four, as opposed to MU's epic fail in that department. We are used to winning in basketball, but it's something new for MU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top