Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 12,645 times

Advertisements

I have searched through several threads to find specific information where a good location to live in Kansas City is but the information i came across was quite dated. I am a recent graduate from the east coast and will be relocating for training (6-9 months) in Kansas City. I know nothing about KC so i was hoping i could get some advice on where to live. I am currently single and really want to be near bars and different things to do to make my temporary experience the best it can be. My office is in Lenexa but i think i have decided to make the commute from downtown KC because i have heard traffic is not bad. Is this accurate? Any advice as to what to expect or where to live would be great. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by winskii; 03-04-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Hmm.. I posted and it showed up then disappeared.

Downtown is doable as the reverse commute is pretty wide open. Even the downtown bound morning traffic isn't as bad as most cities unless there is construction. Midtown is also doable as you can access I-35 via Westport Rd to Mission Rd to I-35, but not as quick from downtown.

Downtown hoods to check out are River Market, Quality Hill, Union Hill (though not quick freeway access), Crossroads. W Midtown is also doable like Roanoke/Volker or even Plaza area commute to Lenexa is not too bad.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I'd look closely at Westport -- it wouldn't be a bad commute to Lenexa (though without knowing exactly where the office is I can't give you a specific estimate) and it has the bar scene, as well as some solid restaurants, that you're looking for.

Two complexes to look at that might be willing to do short-term leases:
Westport Manor
City Place

Best of luck and feel free to ask any follow-up questions!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Thank you guys so much for your quick and thorough responses! I am not to concerned with a commute. 20-30 minute commute is nothing to me and have done that for several internships. My biggest concern is finding a nice, clean and slightly newer property nearby the best parts of KC. Ideally i'm searching for an apartment complex that houses a majority of other young professionals so i can have an opportunity to meet new people around my age to go out with!

I have checked out several listings regarding City Place, does anyone have any reviews of the general age group here or reviews of the actual apartments? (Closeness to nightlife?)

Thanks again everyone, this has been a great resource thus far!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
City Place is very close to Westport center and is pretty new construction. Some Westport buildings like City Place have young professionals but is a more mixed hood. Union Hill tends to be mostly young professionals but their neighborhood hangout (Martini Corner) isn't as broad as Westport and almost no stores nearby. River Market has a lot of young professionals and better variety than Martini Corner but again not as much as Westport. Westport may have the best balance of what your'e looking for, but there are fewer newly built/newly rehabbed buildings compared to the other areas mentioned. Also check Westport Plaza hood, literally between - N of Plaza and S of Westport.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
City Place is essentially all young professionals; same with Westport Manor. They're really both too expensive to cater to anyone else.

I lived in WM for a year and really liked it -- the units were just redone with refinished hardwood floors, stainless appliances, granite countertops and W/D connections (you can lease a W/D as well). It's right behind the local grocery store and a 3-minute walk to all the bars, restaurants and coffee shops of Westport. Caveat: If you hate dogs, this would not be the place for you. I remember when I initially called to inquire of the place I said "And I understand you're dog friendly, correct?" John, the property manager's response?: "Dog friendly? We're dog crazy!"

We only moved because, at 550 sq/ft, the SO and I were about to murder each other. For a single person, it'd be ideal. I'm not certain of the availability of short-term leases, however, so you'd have to call and see.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM

40 posts, read 70,235 times
Coiming from someone who moved here in a similar situation as you, I'd highly suggest City Place. I have many friends who live there and that place is pretty full of young professionals. Not to mention, it is literally 2 blocks from the 15 or so bars that Westport has to offer, which in my mind is the best non-vanity nightlife in KC.

Another place to look into would be 45 Madison.. it's a few blocks away from City Place, but is still within 5 blocks of Westport while also being closer to the Plaza, which also offers up some pretty good nightlife. The two are pretty similar in price (albeit, a bit pricey), but if you can make it fit in your price range, both of those places would suit your needs really well: both are newer complexes with all of the amenities, full of young professionals, and close to nightlife. I, myself, just signed a lease to move into City Place after my year in the Northland!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM

Thank you so much everyone, this is great! Like i said this is the first time i will be living in the midwest so im very excited. Seems like KC is not a hard place to make friends and have an enjoyable time. Im excited to see what it has to offer! Definitely looking forward to the BBQ that everyone brags about as well!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Here are some photos of urban housing in KC. Lost of Plaza area photos.

A photo tour of Urban Housing in KCMO

Here is City Place

45 Madison (I think the first pic is 45 Madison, the second is condos?)

River Market

Union Hill

Crossroads

Quality Hill

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City