Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm not going to debate the broader point that KU has much better attendence, but this is a false statement. The MU athletic department's website shows MU had the same attendance for its home games against OU and Texas as KU. And technically, I understand all of the tickets are sold for many of the conference games, although certainly the TV views show that people are not in all of the seats.

To look at another sport, I understand KU's football attendence was not very good and KU did not really support the MU/KU game at Arrowhead this year.

It's amazing what winning does to energize a fanbase. KU has been on quite a roll in basketball for some time.
I think you are wrong regarding attendance. KU sells out for EVERY game at Allen Fieldhouse, even exhibition games. MU doesn't sell out every game. It's just a fact. Maybe THIS year they have sold out their conference games since they are playing better, but that has so not been true in the past and you have not sold out non-conference games for sure. And I don't know what the specific numbers are, but every time I have been to a KU football game the stands were packed, even though we haven't had a very good football program. The couple of times I've had a GA ticket I had trouble finding a seat and had to go way up to find one.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I know its not a majority of the fanbase, but if you think there's not a sizeable population of neo-confederate MU dorks who veiw the university's SEC membership as a calling card for their "deo vindice" nonsense, you're not paying much attention. Enjoy watching the Stars and Bars wave from attennae in the Faurot parking lot, man. I feel for you.
Plus the fact that they were running around with Quantrill and "burn Lawrence" flags last Saturday for the KU/MU game.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Actually, they dont. That list means very little to nothing. They use about 4 different statistics to put together that list versus the ones that use dozens if not hundreds of statistics. It's put together by a magazine and there is no weight behind it. There was a thread here awhile back where someone posted several list (the ones that actually mean something such as the Shanghai rankings) and KU outranks MU in every single one.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So what is wrong with MU's fanbase? Before you go and call them hicks (something I have always found hilarious, kansans calling missourians hicks), know that the vast majority of MU alumni seem to come from the St Louis and KC metro areas, not rural MO and generally from affluent suburbs of those cities (including JoCo).

Maybe the students are nuts? I don't know, I didn't go there. But I know a lot of alumni from there (all from KC or StL) and they are about as normal as you can get. While most are big MU fans....I'll say this again....they don't care about the school near as much as KU fans. Yes I know, they might care more if they went to the final four every year. But I’m just not sure. Again, a large portion of MIZZOU fans are from large cities and those people tend to be more into pro sports than collegiate, especially when not in school any more. Ever been to Columbia? I saw more KC chiefs, royals, cards and blues stuff there than mizzou. It's more about StL vs KC than MU vs KU (or any other rival). Same with the other smaller schools around the state including the one I went to.

People I know that went to school there like mizzou and will get into some smack talk with KU fans and that's about it. They rarely wear mizzou clothing or go to games etc. They have generally moved on in life, but will watch them on TV and will show up for the big games in KC and StL venues.

This could be wrong, but this is a personal observation.

From what I have seen on TV and have generally noticed via friends, it looks like MU fans that show up to games are mostly current students while KU games seem to have a higher percent of adult alumni at their games. This might have something to do with the possible differences of maturity of one vs the other. College students are generally immature. It is what it is.
Not hicks. And I don't want to get into a fight about it on this board, but the are classless. The things they say/do are ridiculous. Just check out tigerboard and you'll see what I mean. I mean like starting the NMT thing about Thomas Robinson and then saying KU started it. No they did not. It was started on tigerboard and the person who started it admitted it. Now they are saying KU players trashed the locker room Saturday. Another lie. And they use all kinds of filthy language/descriptions for KU fans (swallowcocks? Really?). They play up the "Civil War" aspect of the rivalry between the two teams, carry around Quantrill and "burn Lawrence" flags, accuse KU of using Jayhawk as their mascot and pointing to what the meaning of jayhawker was historically, while ignoring the fact that the Bushwhackers, which they represent, were pro slavery and also murdered and raped and pillaged. No one at KU even thinks about/talks about the Civil War or considers our mascot to be a symbol of what happened in the Civil War. We don't promote/support/act out on that at all. I have seen a few people on the phog.net board refer to MU fans as "slavers," but that is because MU fans insist on making the rivalry about the Civil War and they are the ones who keep bringing up that aspect. If it weren't for MU fans, I seriously would probably not even know the Jayhawkers/Bushwackers were all about.

At the game on Saturday, they were throwing things onto the court and had to be told NOT to so they wouldn't get a technical called on them. Also, I have no proof of this but was told by someone with a friend who works for ESPN (I know...a friend of a friend kind of thing) that The Antlers brandished knives at KU fans last Saturday. Also on message boards saw KU fans say they would NOT go to Columbia because in the past when they went to games their tires were slashed. I mean - really? You don't see fans behaving that way at Allen Fieldhouse. The Antlers also wore Hitler costumes with a KU jersey. Nice.

Other things they did: Mocked Jeff Grayer's mom when she was dying and shouted comments about it to him during games. Made jokes about Nick Collison's grandfather, a WWII veteran, when he died. He survived a plane crash in WWII but had burns to his face because of it and they made and held up a sign saying PLANE CRASH during a game with KU and made sure Nick saw it. Distribute numbers of KU players and coaches and their girlfriends and family members and call them repeatedly in the week leading up to a game and talk trash and also put numbers on posters and wave them in front of the TV cameras during games. I heard they had a poster showing Bill Self's mother's phone number during the game last Saturday. If the know where the opposing team is spending the night, they have been known to park a van with a speaker on the top of it in front of the hotel and blast music throughout the night to keep the team awake.

What I hear KU fans saying regarding MU leaving for the SEC is good riddance, because we will no longer have to deal with their fanbase. Every team has some tacky fans but the MU fanbase seems to have way more than the rest.

Again, I know not all MU fans are this way, but a lot of them are. Again, I tell you to just go to tigerboard and look around. It's disgusting. If you don't see anything vile, either wait a little while or look at the archives. It goes on and on and on.

Just as many KU students show up for games as MU students. It's just that at KU the student sections are on both ends of the arena so you don't see them in one block on the side like you do with MU. Allen Fieldhouse is always filled to the gills with lots of students as well as alumni.

Last edited by luzianne; 02-07-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
^ isn't phog.net the same way? I think you are looking at it too much from the perspective a KU fan.

BTW, that tiberboard forum is annoying. I hate forums like that with the weird directory structure or whatever. Those kinds of forums drive me nuts. So I didn't stay long.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I still don't understand how you can say that you don't care at all in the same breath as talking about HANGING OUT ON A FORUM FOR A SCHOOL YOU DIDN'T ATTEND. If you don't see how lame that comes across then I really can't help you.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I still don't understand how you can say that you don't care at all in the same breath as talking about HANGING OUT ON A FORUM FOR A SCHOOL YOU DIDN'T ATTEND. If you don't see how lame that comes across then I really can't help you.
*sigh* I don't "hang out" on the forum. I have hardly been there at all, but I saw enough. The only reason I ever went there was when it was reported that they were calling Thomas Robinson "NMT" and yes, I definitely cared about that. I never was on the forum before last week or whenever it was that the NMT controversy came about. But what I saw there was disgusting. And not all the things I am referring to came from a message board, either.

And no, I do not care at all about MU going to the SEC and I do not care at all if we never play them again and in fact, I hope we don't.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
^ isn't phog.net the same way? I think you are looking at it too much from the perspective a KU fan.

BTW, that tiberboard forum is annoying. I hate forums like that with the weird directory structure or whatever. Those kinds of forums drive me nuts. So I didn't stay long.
No, phog.net is not the same way. KU fans have some class.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:

No, not really. There are always stupid college kids.

Someone said this the other day and it is very, very true. The difference between KU fans and MU fans is that MU is satisfied with their season in any sport if they simply beat KU. KU fans wants to win the conference and go after a national championship. Beating MU is simply icing on the cake but definitely not the focus. I have heard three MU fans since Saturday say that even if they dont win another game this season, they are satisifed that they got that one win over KU.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, not really. There are always stupid college kids.

Someone said this the other day and it is very, very true. The difference between KU fans and MU fans is that MU is satisfied with their season in any sport if they simply beat KU. KU fans wants to win the conference and go after a national championship. Beating MU is simply icing on the cake but definitely not the focus. I have heard three MU fans since Saturday say that even if they dont win another game this season, they are satisifed that they got that one win over KU.
You just throw out so much nonsense I can't let it pass. Do you really think simply beating KU makes MU's season in football?

We all know and readily admit KU has dominated in basketball, particularly under Bill Self, but it is simply a nonsensical statement. I don't know which imaginary MU fans are telling you otherwise, but that's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City