U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Reputation: 3739

Advertisements

I was told, on Mizzou's campus, at speaker's circle, that I was going to hell because

A. My parents were divorced
B. I was living with a man
C. That man was of another race than me
D. I wasn't wearing a skirt.

Brother Jed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baptists and Pentacostals are far too broad a category to make any comments about -- neither organization has a central leadership and they're all very different from one another.

Because a central theme of evangelism is the requirement to "spread the gospel" they are, by nature, regressive, not open to new ideas and spend their time judging anyone who falls outside of their, incredibly specific, beliefs. Perhaps they appear friendly to anyone who doesn't ever share an idea out of line with their beliefs.

But again, this isn't about generally religious people. The poster above was speaking specifically about the religious zealots who appear on campus to rile students up and to cause a fuss. They are not indicative of the majority of Christians -- they're their own subset of awfulness.

You truly relish the idea of seeing men carry signs that say "marrying a divorced woman is adultery"? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I was told, on Mizzou's campus, at speaker's circle, that I was going to hell because

A. My parents were divorced
B. I was living with a man
C. That man was of another race than me
D. I wasn't wearing a skirt.

Brother Jed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baptists and Pentacostals are far too broad a category to make any comments about -- neither organization has a central leadership and they're all very different from one another.

Because a central theme of evangelism is the requirement to "spread the gospel" they are, by nature, regressive, not open to new ideas and spend their time judging anyone who falls outside of their, incredibly specific, beliefs. Perhaps they appear friendly to anyone who doesn't ever share an idea out of line with their beliefs.

But again, this isn't about generally religious people. The poster above was speaking specifically about the religious zealots who appear on campus to rile students up and to cause a fuss. They are not indicative of the majority of Christians -- they're their own subset of awfulness.

You truly relish the idea of seeing men carry signs that say "marrying a divorced woman is adultery"? Really?
Fair enough, but these particularly outspoken folks you've provided as an example knew your business somehow, as if you offered all of your life's details on a platter. Because of that, because of the context, isn't it unreasonable of you to judge them as unfriedly because they shared their beliefs? I sense it was a context or debate in which you were basically "asking" their opinions on your beliefs and choices. Why do their beliefs bother you, if you're secure with your choices? You don't need them to alter their beliefs to accept or reaffirm your choices?

Why do the religious protesters espousing firm, specific beliefs cause uproar? Obviously, those roused are folks who don't agree with their beliefs. But if they don't agree with those conservative beliefs and have their own firm beliefs, why do they become roused? Why not live and let live? Why do the evangelicals get under people's skin?

And yeah, I'd get a kick out of seeing evangelicals protesting and espousing their beliefs in a protest-style, the same way it is more common for more liberal causes. Then it would become normal and I wouldn't pay much attention to it. But ultimately it's good that everybody is giving their voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Reputation: 3739
No it was like a "Who of you come from divorced parents? or "Who of you live in sin?" to a crowd of people gathered around them.

Of course I don't need them to affirm who I am -- but it also doesn't mean that I don't recognize them for what they are: Judgemental zealots. Speaker's Circle on Mizozu's campus is one of the few places one can publicly speak without a permit, and I entirely recognize and support their right to be there. That, by no means, means I can't be offended by their offensive, racist, homophobic beliefs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
No it was like a "Who of you come from divorced parents? or "Who of you live in sin?" to a crowd of people gathered around them.

Of course I don't need them to affirm who I am -- but it also doesn't mean that I don't recognize them for what they are: Judgemental zealots. Speaker's Circle on Mizozu's campus is one of the few places one can publicly speak without a permit, and I entirely recognize and support their right to be there. That, by no means, means I can't be offended by their offensive, racist, homophobic beliefs!
They fail to realize others people don't subscribe to their beliefs, that others are different from themselves, or fail to respect that even if they do acknowledge it. That's the annoying part. I guess I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. Liberals can be like that too though. Extreme people like that suck no matter who they are. They're just *******s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
They fail to realize others people don't subscribe to their beliefs, that others are different from themselves, or fail to respect that even if they do acknowledge it. That's the annoying part. I guess I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. Liberals can be like that too though. Extreme people like that suck no matter who they are. They're just *******s.
We are very much on the same page.

That Brother Jed guy is a trip though. If the weather is nice and you find yourself in CoMo, he's probably there too -- possibly with his odd little wife and some of their many children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
 
99 posts, read 193,737 times
Reputation: 32
I think KC would be a better fit socially. Having said that I wouldn't move anywhere with the idea of changing the place to suit you. Please don't take this the wrong way I just wouldn't want you to be unhappy if the area didn't want to be as accepting as you may want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
We are very much on the same page.

That Brother Jed guy is a trip though. If the weather is nice and you find yourself in CoMo, he's probably there too -- possibly with his odd little wife and some of their many children.
I finally checked out your link. That guy seems mentally ill. Kind of funny, but not quite right. Unless he's an elaborate clown. Maybe he was one of the few marijuana has detrimental effects on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Reputation: 3739
I still have a copy of his book "Who Will Rise Up?" Sometimes I get drunk and read it aloud -- it's possible I find it more amusing than my guests. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top