U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM

12,608 posts, read 14,621,137 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Sunday brunch on the Missouri side for a few years. I think the last time I went it was at Ameristar, and the time before that on the Plaza although I don't remember specifically where. Tomfooleries maybe.

On the Kansas side - I like Nick and Jake's - lots of food! Gaslight Grill and Granite City are okay, but same menu all the time and not a whole lot of variety. What I do like about Granite City is they also have a Saturday brunch (wish more places did) which doesn't have prime rib but is less expensive than the Sunday brunch. Cinzetti's is okay but not that much different than eating there any other time except they have the addition of some breakfast foods. Annie's Santa Fe used to be our brunch place, but they closed years ago. Loved Annie's!

Blue Moose and 810 Zone - not impressed. I keep trying to like KC Hopps restaurants and I keep giving them another chance and they keep letting me down, so probably won't be trying brunch at any of their other places. Had brunch at the Blue Moose and there really wasn't a lot to choose from. Definitely not worth $15 when you consider how much more you get at Nick & Jake's for $3 more, and much nicer atmosphere too.

I would like to try Bristol and Paulo and Bill's. I think I mainly haven't tried Bristol because I feel like I'd need to dress up a little and frankly, on Sunday I just want to wear jeans and tennis shoes.

So I guess of the places I have tried, I'd have to call Nick and Jake's my favorite.

What are your favorite brunches in Kansas City?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 AM

5,758 posts, read 9,492,402 times
Try Kate's Kitchen up north. It is on North Oak in Kansas City North. It is only open till like 2PM each day but it is fantastic, reasonable priced, and has quick and excellent service. They have a chicken guacamole sandwich that is one of my favorite things in the world.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,988 times
Downtown:
You Say Tomato - my favorite of bfast counters, bfast flatbread, casserole, buttery egg/bacon/croissant, quirky 20's corner market feel in Longfellow
Succotash - great weekend brunch menu, raw vege/juice bar, not so great weekdays, in Longfellow
Happy Gillis - solid bfast, good egg BLT with stewed T in Columbus Park
Farmhouse - all local sources, finely prepared, french press coffee, River Market
Gennessee Royal - haven't been yet for bfast but a downtowner favorite, in W Bottoms
Chez Elle Creperie - french bfast creperie, coffeehouse, Summit W Side
Grinders West- build your own omelette or bfast burrito, bloody mary bar, $3 mimosas, Xroads

Midtown:
Bluestem - James Beard category brunch, W Westport
Room 39 - urban rehab brunch, Croque Madame, veggie frittata, w39th
Westport Cafe/Bar - eggs norwegian/florentine, westport center

Plaza:
Ingredient - decent bfast counter, huevos rancheros burrito tasty and eggs benedict
Classic Cup - contemp brunch menu
Eggstc - broad menu, daily specials usually pretty good, S Plaza
Tomfooleries - Not bad as brunch buffets, omelette bars go

This is a short list for brunch places in the city. Could go into diners and mexi-bfast places too.

Last edited by xenokc; 01-22-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Eggtc. was always a favorite when I lived on the Plaza, but if you don't get there early, you're gonna be hanging around waiting for a good long while,and there isn't much room to wait, which can put you waiting outside in the cold. It's good breakfast, but it's not always worth the wait, IMO. Worth it if you get there early enough.

One of my favorites, foodwise, is Cook Shack Cafe just past 89th and Wornall, but it's a diner, tiny, and decidedly unfancy. I'm imagining you're looking for something a tad less pedestrian, even though you mention jeans and tennies. It's run by firefighters, though, and a family-run place...the food is good and filling and the people are nice.

I've done Classic Cup, but only in warm weather, because half the point is sitting on their sunny back patio or streetside cafe.

I love You Say Tomato, but always thought Succotash was overhyped. I haven't been since they moved from River Market, though.

The only brunch buffet I've been to is Figlio's, which was pretty extensive.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,222,457 times
Farmhouse
Room 39
Westport Cafe and Bar

I still love brunch, but lately we've been doing a lot of afternoon "happy hours" -- La Bodega's is fantastic (and half off Sangria!) but we also love Westport Cafe too -- they have these huge delicious shrimp for $2 each and a huuuge bowl of mussels for $5 -- it's the best

Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,000,435 times
For like a Brunch Buffet, the best ones are Bristol, Avenues Bistro and Grand Street Cafe. My favorites might be Grand Street, lots of good sides and such.

I would really like to try Lidias Brunch Buffet but it's kind of expensive

Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,111,988 times
Yeah, forgot about Lidia's and Grand St. Think we'll do Grand St. this weekend. Grand St. slid a couple years ago but has really upped their game lately. Cool new looking space too.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM

8,809 posts, read 9,628,984 times
Liliy's in the Marriot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City