U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
Reputation: 3739

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
It started with foodie snobs but Doug wanted to include 'regular people' as reviewers, including firemen from Raytown.
I think it's important to note that not every "foodie" is a snob -- I think there's a fine line a show like this needs to find for itself. Real while also useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,223,797 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Uh, no probably not -- who thinks of themselves as a rube? What's your point? Have you watched a lot of the episodes?
I've watched it at least several times. It's kind of blah. My point was anybody who's human and not used to being recorded/televised or even just in that sort of situation might be a little nervous, ackward, and not project themselves as perfect. But I'm not sure what exactly you were calling people rubes for, I just know you were putting people down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
Reputation: 3739
Yes I made fun of innocent strangers. Isn't that like half the reason people watch TV? You're just mad because they're Kansas Citians -- if I made fun of the Real Housewives of Atlanta would you be quite so offended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,223,797 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Yes I made fun of innocent strangers. Isn't that like half the reason people watch TV? You're just mad because they're Kansas Citians -- if I made fun of the Real Housewives of Atlanta would you be quite so offended?
I don't know. It's possible you're projecting, seeing yourself and laughing.

I've given no indication to being biased because they're Kansas Citians. Not sure where that's coming from. I don't watch that show (RHW of Atl). Actually though, you were downing a similar demographic to those on that show (Leawood women) and I defended them. I just like diversity and don't feel the need to make fun of those different from myself. But maybe they are rubes. Haha. Maybe those fine-ass sorority girls think you're a rube. I guess it's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't know. It's possible you're projecting, seeing yourself and laughing.

I've given no indication to being biased because they're Kansas Citians. Not sure where that's coming from. I don't watch that show (RHW of Atl). Actually though, you were downing a similar demographic to those on that show (Leawood women) and I defended them. I just like diversity and don't feel the need to make fun of those different from myself. But maybe they are rubes. Haha. Maybe those fine-ass sorority girls think you're a rube. I guess it's all relative.
I like Leawood. I would love for you to show me where I derided it or the people living in it. Participated in some broad-brush painting? Perhaps. But I feel confident you're either misremembering something or have me mistaken with someone else. And actually those Atlanta gals are nothing like Leawood-ers, but that's pretty beside the point, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,223,797 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I like Leawood. I would love for you to show me where I derided it or the people living in it. Participated in some broad-brush painting? Perhaps. But I feel confident you're either misremembering something or have me mistaken with someone else. And actually those Atlanta gals are nothing like Leawood-ers, but that's pretty beside the point, obviously.
It's all good. Maybe the "rubes" are why I feel Check, Please: KC is blah and I'm just trying to be too nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 AM
 
10,157 posts, read 9,939,397 times
Reputation: 3914
You can call them rubes or goobs and it won't change the fact that by watching the show you will hear about quite a few places to eat that 90% of any visitors to Kansas City will not find on his own and that includes residents as well and you will know the general price for eating there. Where else is there a comparable site in Kansas City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM
 
1,830 posts, read 3,121,135 times
Reputation: 532
Here's a KC foodie site. Was started by a guy who ran a major foodie site in Chicago. He moved to KC and started up one here...

LTHForumKC.com • Index page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,309 posts, read 7,175,593 times
Reputation: 16405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've watched it at least several times. It's kind of blah. My point was anybody who's human and not used to being recorded/televised or even just in that sort of situation might be a little nervous, ackward, and not project themselves as perfect.
I pretty much agree although I have found out about some good places to eat.

People that want to project themselves as perfect would fit right in doing reviews on yelp. Talk about people trying way too hard to sound as witty, hip and sophisticated as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,275,993 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Here's a KC foodie site. Was started by a guy who ran a major foodie site in Chicago. He moved to KC and started up one here...

LTHForumKC.com • Index page
Highly recommend.

I would have eaten some terrible food had I not had my trusty LTH forum in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top