U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,880 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I recently accepted a job at Cerner WHQ and am currently looking for suitable locations to live. (I am familiar with the horror stories about long hours, but I dont mind that at all). For the most part, KSMO seems like an AMAZING up-and-coming city with plenty of cultural experiences available, so I am trying to make the best of it but I want to be comfortable.

Since there appears to be a number of people on here with first hand knowledge, I would appreciate knowing areas I should focus on, as well as areas to avoid (I am a 23 year old female so I would like to feel safe as anyone would).

So far, I have only looked for rentals in the Downtown and Wesport area, but am open to hearing everyone's opinions about these, as well as other potential locations.

Thanks in advance!

Wendy
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
City Place in Westport or Market Station in the River Market are both real nice. Cold Storage Lofts in River Market is another.

But really there is so much in that area between the river market and the plaza that it would be difficult to recommend something not knowing your budget or what you like. You might also look into subleasing a condo because apartments in urban KCMO seem pretty leased up.

You have plenty of areas that would work in River Market, Downtown, Union Hill, Westport, Plaza etc.

Union Hill might be a good place for you. It's a quiet area and not in the middle of downtown, westport etc, but close to max and easy to get to all the other areas of the urban core of kcmo plus it would be a very easy drive up to Cerner via US-71 / I-29.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,880 times
KCMO,

Thank you for the insight! My budget is around $800-$1,000/ month, and I just want to be around where there is SOMETHING to do. When I came down for a visit in October, the Power and light districy seemed bustling with activity so I wouldnt mind being around that scene.

But again, it seems like I drive a few blocks in any direction and im in an area deemed "unsafe," so where should i be avoiding?

Thank you again!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
If you want something more refined with higher end shopping and can handle mostly chain restaurants, look at The Plaza. River Market and Crossroads downtown have a lot of lofts. Union Hill area has a lot of young professionals and a small restaurant/bar district called Martini Corner. W39th has a lot of ethnic eats and indie/street shops.

Overall the city core has elements of crime as in any city and you need to be aware of surroundings. The least safe area of Midtown/Downtown (IMO) is Armour to E39th/Main area and the rest is doable, although Armour is improving. Plaza and W39th (Roanoke/Volker - W side of midtown) probably have the least problems out of the city core, and Union Hill too. Downtown for the most part is pretty safe but as in any downtown, incidents will happen. I've posted before a crime index by zipcode in another thread that shows downtown/midtown KC has a lower crime index than downtown/uptown Minneapolis and the best parts of DC and St. Louis.

See this city guide to give you some context of the areas...

Last edited by xenokc; 01-26-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,541 times
I would suggest looking at the crime maps from KCPD while trying to narrow down your search. I don't want to scare you but the harsh reality of burglaries & robberies in downtown & midtown are nothing to ignore.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
^Well that's true in most any city... however downtown and midtown KC crime index is lower than many other cities, such as Minneapolis, DC, Chicago and St. Louis. Anyone wanting to live in any city center is probably aware there is more crime than in most of the higher income suburbs. But do agree to check out listings as some hoods have more issues than others.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^Well that's true in most any city... however downtown and midtown KC crime index is lower than many other cities, such as Minneapolis, DC, Chicago and St. Louis. Anyone wanting to live in any city center is probably aware there is more crime than in most of the higher income suburbs. But do agree to check out listings as some hoods have more issues than others.
This. I would have no concerns with suggesting my neighborhood (Volker), West Plaza or Westport to a young single woman. I know easily half a dozen plus who happily and safely live here.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
Hey Wendy,

I am actually starting Cerner in late June and in a similar boat (22 year old girl, Rent: $700-$1000, unfamiliar with the area). I have spoken to a few college friends who grew up in Kansas City and most suggest the Plaza. Also, I have a family friend who started at Cerner last year. He is living at 909 Walnut in the Downtown area. He said that Downtown living is great and that he loves his building, but that most of his friends live in the Plaza area and that if moving wasn't such a hassle, he would probably move there. In addition, he said that he would avoid North Kansas City, but because its a pretty boring place to live, not necessarily because it is safe or unsafe.

Also, you might find kcpremierapts.com helpful. I called and have been speaking to one of their agents. She has been super helpful in helping me map out what areas I'd like to live in. She suggested Plaza or Rivermarket and said the Plaza has always been a more safe, high-end place to live, but that Rivermarket has recently become a very popular place for young professionals. She told me that the Downtown area is very up-and-coming and overall is pretty safe, but that its still the kind of place where you really don't want to be walking around alone at night and that if it were her she'd probably prefer the Plaza or Rivermarket area. Also, if you are in the area, the agents will schedule appointments for you to see different apartments and they don't charge a thing.

Hope that helps!

Jenna

Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM

45 posts, read 76,000 times
Hi wendy and Jenna,
My daughter 22 is starting working at Cerner June 25. I am her researcher. She has spoken with a few people that also suggest the Plaza/Waldo area. They say that is that is the area to meet the most young professionals. We are working with a fantastic relocater with Cerner listed in the infor. packet, MIchelle. Cost nothing, extremely helpful!! My daughter is not really a city person, and the Cerner relocated recommended Crossing at Barry. It has lots of Cerner folks, lots of community events, exercise room and classes, club house, pool, 15 min from air port and downtown, etc. That was my daughter's first choice, she thought it was amazing. Watch the several videos She loves being around some green, especially with traveling lots and being in cities. But then a few others started telling her to live in Plaza area to meet young professionals. Of course going to have more young prof since a bigger area, but she is not a city person, does not drink, so if you like activities, 2 big pools, being around other Cerner people (the relocater placed 50 there last year, might want to check it out) They have a $300 discourt with first month rent now, there are other apts. that have some employee discounts also. And we told her comparing the Plaza to Crosssing, not comparing Plaza/Waldo to suburbs. This is a unique place.
Thought it might help some!
Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City