U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,200,497 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere except Fox 4. $30 million, 20 acres, I-70 and 635 (just west of downtown) high on a bluff for visibility. To include 130-foot NYC twin-tower replicas with beams of light out the tops. I believe the park they mention is City Park, a large urban park in KCK. What do you think? First thing I thought was that this is cheesy, possibly even disrespectful, but I just don't know.

KCK Park Picked as Site for Fallen Soldier Memorial | fox4kc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Seems like a terrible location for something like that. Things like that should go to places like Penn Valley Park, not some run down area of KCK near a couple of freeways. Seems kind of tacky too. What does KCK have to do with the twin towers? Let NYC deal with the memorials and don't do a bunch of knock offs in weird places like 635 and 70 in kck. I guess it's better than the tornado tower that kept getting proposed for KCK. Had KCK built that, I would have never claimed KC as my home again because that would have become KCMO's image

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
I don't see why, if it's a memorial to all soldiers lost since the gulf war, it has to be designed around the twin towers. It's not a 9/11 memorial -- which I do think would be out of place in KCK -- it's a soldier memorial.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Seems like a terrible location for something like that. Things like that should go to places like Penn Valley Park, not some run down area of KCK near a couple of freeways. Seems kind of tacky too. What does KCK have to do with the twin towers? Let NYC deal with the memorials and don't do a bunch of knock offs in weird places like 635 and 70 in kck. I guess it's better than the tornado tower that kept getting proposed for KCK. Had KCK built that, I would have never claimed KC as my home again because that would have become KCMO's image
You're thinking is pretty much the same as mine. And it also reminded me of the tornado tower. I can't find any other details on this proposed memorial, so as far as I know it may go the way of the tornado tower. Anyway, while I first thought everything you just said, I was thinking more along the lines of "what does this have to do with this part of the country? (not just KCK)" and it looks like it would be in City Park, which is an urban park on the westend of urban KCK roughly analogous to Swope Park.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 PM

^^^

I don't think this memorial is going to be built. Seems like a small group's pipe dream. It's supposed to cost $30 mill and a representitive of the group was just on Fox 4 and said they have $10K in the bank.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times
Having lost a son, who was killed in action in the operation enduring freedom war, i think any site than pays tribute to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice is a uplifting thought to my so broken heart. I have no burial site for my son, no body to bury so this memorial would be the next best thing. Instead of focusing on what you think it tries to duplicate, why not think about the sons, mothers, fathers, daughters, brothers, sisters, and friends that this would serve to help those like myself get through the loss. This can not replace or bring back my son, my hero,....our soldier, but it will keep the memory of him and show that this nation's people are thankful for the sacrifice he made. Thank you, rip cpl robert bradley spencer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or