U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,305,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And it has no chance to ever be a hub as it is today. I love Denver's airport. And we have direct flights to Tokyo, London, Frankfurt, and every major city in North America. Makes it quicker to get places.
Denver's airport is exactly the "big box" model that I worry about for MCI -- and when I worked with a customer in Boulder a few years ago, DIA did have unpredictable TSA wait times. Sometimes I would be through security in 5 minutes, other times it would take an hour. That means I'd always predict an hour.

With KC, other posters' experiences notwithstanding, I have never waited more than 5 minutes to clear into the secure gate area.

At least there is an Admirals Club at DIA (KC lost its AA club in 2012).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Well, if you fly AA, then you shouldn't ever have a wait for security. What does AA have like six flights a day to Chicago and DFW? KCI is just a little commuter airport for AA to get to a people in KC to a couple of hubs. If you actually fly places non-stop other than Chicago or Denver or DFW than you pretty much have to use Southwest and even Southwest seems to have really cut back service to KC.

Try flying Southwest, especially at their peak hours. Things change from your lovely little small town bus stop of an airport into something that just does not work.

I occasionally flew out of KCI on flights other than Southwest (very rare since very few cities outside a handful of hubs are severed outside Souhwest) and the experience at KCI is very different, but still just as miserable and depressing in my opinion. It goes from being crowded, smelly disgusting restrooms and very few basic amenities to a complete ghost town feel and even less or zero basic airport staples at all. It's like a twilight zone at any other airline at KCI because of all the dead space and you walk outside and same deal. Dead.

KCI is broken. You are either in the vast 80% of the airport that serves 10% of the passengers or are in the tiny, crowded 10% of the airport that serves 80% of the passengers.

Just put it under one roof and get it over with, for the love of god KC, come out of the dark ages with your airport. Trust me, KC will still have 5 minute TSA waits. My experience with other modern similar sized airport terminals (10-15 million passengers a year) waits (both bag check and security check) will get better for most users of MCI because Southwest at MCI is a freaking cluster fudge and an embarrassment to the city, just as the rest of the airport makes KC look like a podunk has-been of a city verifying what most people on the coasts already think of the place. I know I know, KC people don't care what other people think of their town. Maybe they should, but even if they don't care, have a nice airport for yourselves and no, you don't have a nice airport. Not at all. All I can think of as to why people think KCI is great is that people really don't travel much to other mid sized cities, just hubs. Hmmm...

Or do the KC thing and put yet another 300-500 million into that dump "again" and still have a dump...

Last edited by kcmo; 07-16-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 04:48 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Denver's airport is exactly the "big box" model that I worry about for MCI -- and when I worked with a customer in Boulder a few years ago, DIA did have unpredictable TSA wait times. Sometimes I would be through security in 5 minutes, other times it would take an hour. That means I'd always predict an hour.

With KC, other posters' experiences notwithstanding, I have never waited more than 5 minutes to clear into the secure gate area.

At least there is an Admirals Club at DIA (KC lost its AA club in 2012).
Eh... I don't mind the wait at DIA. I don't think its' ever taken me longer than 20 min. to get through. I generally can predict wait times. Like Monday mornings are longer with all the business travelers heading out. But DIA is the 5th busiest airport in the country, so of course it's big. I just enjoy the architecture and artwork in DIA.

I would think something like they have in Indianapolis would work well for KC. It was a much smaller airport than DIA, but a very pleasant experience.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, if you fly AA, then you shouldn't ever have a wait for security. What does AA have like six flights a day to Chicago and DFW? KCI is just a little commuter airport for AA to get to a people in KC to a couple of hubs. If you actually fly places non-stop other than Chicago or Denver or DFW than you pretty much have to use Southwest and even Southwest seems to have really cut back service to KC.

Try flying Southwest, especially at their peak hours. Things change from your lovely little small town bus stop of an airport into something that just does not work.

I occasionally flew out of KCI on flights other than Southwest (very rare since very few cities outside a handful of hubs are severed outside Souhwest) and the experience at KCI is very different, but still just as miserable and depressing in my opinion. It goes from being crowded, smelly disgusting restrooms and very few basic amenities to a complete ghost town feel and even less or zero basic airport staples at all. It's like a twilight zone at any other airline at KCI because of all the dead space and you walk outside and same deal. Dead.

KCI is broken. You are either in the vast 80% of the airport that serves 10% of the passengers or are in the tiny, crowded 10% of the airport that serves 80% of the passengers.

Just put it under one roof and get it over with, for the love of god KC, come out of the dark ages with your airport. Trust me, KC will still have 5 minute TSA waits. My experience with other modern similar sized airport terminals (10-15 million passengers a year) waits (both bag check and security check) will get better for most users of MCI because Southwest at MCI is a freaking cluster fudge and an embarrassment to the city, just as the rest of the airport makes KC look like a podunk has-been of a city verifying what most people on the coasts already think of the place. I know I know, KC people don't care what other people think of their town. Maybe they should, but even if they don't care, have a nice airport for yourselves and no, you don't have a nice airport. Not at all. All I can think of as to why people think KCI is great is that people really don't travel much to other mid sized cities, just hubs. Hmmm...

Or do the KC thing and put yet another 300-500 million into that dump "again" and still have a dump...
I would guess that KCI doesn't have much in the way of restaurants and stores (besides there's no room for them) because most people probably have a little anxiety about getting through security. Can you really have a meal and a couple drinks comfortably knowing that you still have to go through security? At other airports, you get that out of the way up front. Then if you have a half hour/45 minutes, you can grab a beer and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City