U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 37,542 times

Advertisements

I'm considering renting an apartment in the Midtown neighborhood of Kansas City. People have warned me, however, that the neighborhood isn't safe. In particular, I've been advised not to rent north of 39.

I would appreciate any thoughts people may have about Midtown as a safe or dangerous place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
What's the approximate area of midtown you are considering? Midtown/downtown have higher crime than higher income suburbs as would be the case in most any city. But the crime index is lower than many other city cores. W side of Midtown is probably the lowest (of Midtown). Union Hill to Longfellow is sort of isolated and doesn't have many issues as it's been taken over by young professionals - if this is what you're considering, is very doable. Most would probably agree that Armour to E39th have the most issues in midtown. Broadway from 39th to Linwood also kind of iffy to some.

From another post...

Found this site that shows crime index by zipcode. Not sure of the methodology or how accurate it is, but it ranges from 1-10, 10 being worst.

St. Louis Central West End (better part of city core) shows rates of 9-10. Downtown STL showed 10.
Minneapolis Uptown/Downtown shows 8-10.
Dupont Circle zipcode in DC shows 8 for violent, 6 for property
Georgetown in DC shows 8 for violent, 5 for property
Gold Coast Chicago shows 8 violent, 5 for property

Downtown KC zipcodes (64105/6/8) shows 6-7
Westport to Roanoke/Volker (64111) shows 6-7
Plaza (64112) shows 5-6
Brookside (64113) shows 4-5

If you could live in Chicago or central Minneapolis or DC, you could probably handle most of midtown KC. Some on this site live on Armour and Hyde Park (E side of Midtown) and are fine with it, but for those less hardened, you might feel better with the other areas of midtown mentioned.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22102540-post80.html

Last edited by xenokc; 02-02-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
Midtown is so broad it's hard to say. Like Xeno said, if you share a bit more about exactly where the apartment is located we can help you better.

For my part, I don't find the Hyde Park area to be particularly dangerous; more just not all that walkable to things I want to walk to.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 AM

648 posts, read 1,045,240 times
Default KCAI nearby house rentals

Our daughter is a freshman this year at Kansas City Art Institute. She will have to live off campus next year. She and two of her friends are going to rent either a house or an apartment. One of her friends she says is from KC and "knows the area." If her friend "knows" KC like my daughter "knows" STL city - she grew up in the burbs - her friend will be as clueless as my daughter as to what areas are OK and not OK.

So, they're going to be looking for either a three bedroom apartment or house within reasonable walking distance to KCAI. My daughter will not have a car. We've been to KCAI, of course, several times and the immediate area is quite nice. Within how many blocks, approximately, might it start to get sketchy, unsafe for 20 year old girls to be walking around at night?

I found this place four blocks from KCAI on Craig's List:
Rare 3bed/2bath apartment in Midtown! (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2832870569.html - broken link)
Somehow I doubt the landlord is going to rent that LOVELY place to a group of messy art students because it specifies a potential tenant having a good rental history. Savvy landlord! IMHO, that place IS too nice to be rented out to college kids. I wouldn't if I were the landlord! You should see my kid's dorm room.

This place is too far away without a car:
HOUSE, GREAT LOCATION conv SHOPPING, PLAZA, WALK TO UMKC, ROCKHURST (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2835953264.html - broken link)
For future reference, how safe is the neighborhood if she shoul have a car during her junior and senior years?

Thanks for any information you all may have.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
KCAI is in the Southmoreland neighborhood. I have a friend who lives there and spend a lot of time walking that area, walking friend's dog at times. S of 41st is doable with a lot of neighborhood people walking around. The closer to KCAI and museums, the better. N Southmoreland gets sketchy quick especially closer to 39th St, including where that house is.

There are stretches of apts around 43rd/Warwick that are almost entirely art students. Would suggest sticking around 43rd or S of there. N of 41st starts getting iffy but is improving, not getting worse. Midtown KC has its share of problem areas but isn't as sketchy as STL as a whole.

If not having a car and not able to find a place close to KCAI, another option is to live along this bus line. KCAI is a couple blocks from the art museum stop and is a safe walk.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

The area around the Plaza Library stop is doable, has many neighborhood amenities and has fairly low rent. It doesn't have the art deco apt/post war column stock that Southmoreland has though, is more like 50s-70s apt style. I'd rather live around or S of 43rd within walking distance to KCAI but this would probably be my second choice if no car.

The sketchiest part of the above bus line above is 39th to Armour. Armour is getting a lot more attention/investment and moving forward but if I had a 20 year old daughter, I'd probably rather she not live along that stretch. There are a lot of young single girls (and a couple on this board) who live on Armour though. It has great potential and is one of the better art deco apts stretches of Midtown, but still has some Section 8 along it too that causes problems.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM

889 posts, read 1,428,548 times
I think you'll have trouble finding 3BR/2BA places in that area. There is a building called Montreaux, just south of KCAI, but the rent for each girl on a 3BR apartment there could be as high as $900. Fountain View (4800 Oak) could run each girl $600 a month. You might consider expanding your search to places that have 3BR and just 1BA or 1.5BA.

I agree you should avoid the area within a couple of blocks each way of Armour (a.k.a. 35th St.). Broadway, from 39th St. to about Linwood (33rd), can be sketchy too.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
KCAI is in the Southmoreland neighborhood. I have a friend who lives there and spend a lot of time walking that area, walking friend's dog at times. S of 41st is doable with a lot of neighborhood people walking around. The closer to KCAI and museums, the better. N Southmoreland gets sketchy quick especially closer to 39th St, including where that house is.

There are stretches of apts around 43rd/Warwick that are almost entirely art students. Would suggest sticking around 43rd or S of there. N of 41st starts getting iffy but is improving, not getting worse. Midtown KC has its share of problem areas but isn't as sketchy as STL as a whole.

If not having a car and not able to find a place close to KCAI, another option is to live along this bus line. KCAI is a couple blocks from the art museum stop and is a safe walk.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1238514/pics/bus/maxmwk.gif

The area around the Plaza Library stop is doable, has many neighborhood amenities and has fairly low rent. It doesn't have the art deco apt/post war column stock that Southmoreland has though, is more like 50s-70s apt style. I'd rather live around or S of 43rd within walking distance to KCAI but this would probably be my second choice if no car.

The sketchiest part of the above bus line above is 39th to Armour. Armour is getting a lot more attention/investment and moving forward but if I had a 20 year old daughter, I'd probably rather she not live along that stretch. There are a lot of young single girls (and a couple on this board) who live on Armour though. It has great potential and is one of the better art deco apts stretches of Midtown, but still has some Section 8 along it too that causes problems.
This is really good info. Thanks!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I think you'll have trouble finding 3BR/2BA places in that area. There is a building called Montreaux, just south of KCAI, but the rent for each girl on a 3BR apartment there could be as high as $900. Fountain View (4800 Oak) could run each girl $600 a month. You might consider expanding your search to places that have 3BR and just 1BA or 1.5BA.

I agree you should avoid the area within a couple of blocks each way of Armour (a.k.a. 35th St.). Broadway, from 39th St. to about Linwood (33rd), can be sketchy too.
Know the little that I do about the area around KCAI, I was of the same mind. Lots of apartments around but most likely they are 1BR/1BA or 2/1, right?

Looks like they might have to find a fourth girl and maybe look for two 2/1's in the same building or close...

Thanks for your help. Keep the info coming!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM

148 posts, read 341,666 times
I lived at 41st and Warwick for a few years. I'll concur that as you approach 39th it gets sketchier from anecdotal experience in the immediate area. Southmoreland is a nice enough neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
You've gotten some good information about the neighborhoods directly abutting KCAI, but I'm inclined to agree with others that the area is a bit of a mixed bag. Keep an eye out for good properties, but I might also be inclined to look west.

If the girls lived somewhere in West Plaza with easy access to the 47 bus (which mostly runs down Roanoke in that area), they could take that pretty readily or have a very short drive and I'd personally feel all around safer. Or they could bike really easily!

A couple properties that would give you an idea of what's available in the area:
house in west plaza 5 minute walk (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2780871012.html - broken link)
Spacious West Plaza Duplex/Townhome (http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/2834173277.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City