U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 AM

10,720 posts, read 18,639,205 times

Advertisements

Like it or not, having adult entertainment options is part of the entertainment package for conventions. It may be under the table, but people do look at it. Things like this don't do KC any favors and makes the city look far more conservative and bible beltish than it really is.

I have never understood why people elect very religious people into office anyway. If this guy would put as much effort into rebuilding I-70 or fixing the KCMO school district as he does trying to kill stem cell research and adult entertainment venues I think MO would be doing a lot better.

Bazooka’s strip club tests limits of Missouri nudity law - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/01/3405082/strip-club-tests-limits-of-state.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,129,847 times
Last I checked, Chicago, NYC and other cities significantly reduced 'red light' entertainment in convention areas. I don't imagine convention planners checking for adult entertainment as an item on the list when deciding on a city. The new MO adult restrictions are pretty ridiculous but so is the notion that convention business across the board is tied to adult entertainment. Really, create a thread about it? As if this only happens in KC?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Last I checked, Chicago, NYC and other cities significantly reduced 'red light' entertainment in convention areas. I don't imagine convention planners checking for adult entertainment as an item on the list when deciding on a city. The new MO adult restrictions are pretty ridiculous but so is the notion that convention business across the board is tied to adult entertainment. Really, create a thread about it?
I doubt it all that damaging, but just a great example of what elected officials shouldn't be doing. There are other more important things.

When did you become the god of what people talk about on internet forums anyway? Everything you post is so "chamber of commerce ish". While I do that too, It's okay to look at things that could be improved as well.

Bartle bugs me. Get him out of there. And people know that in places like Chicago and NYC they can find entertainment. This is not a convention center area thing, but a state wide issue anyway.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM

I was referring to your thread title, that this is a very specific issue to harming convention business. If you doubt it would be damaging, why the focus in title it would harm convention biz?

Are you going to create a thread for STL too? It might hurt their convention biz.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
I was referring to your thread title, that this is a very specific issue to harming convention business. If you doubt it would be damaging, why the focus in title it would harm convention biz?

Are you going to create a thread for STL too? It might hurt their convention biz.
I think it would have some impact on retaining conventions. I'm not a convention planning expert, but it seems I have read somewhere that cities that offer upscale or classy adult entertainment options as part of a more comprehensive package do better with conventions. Bazzokas probably gets more traffic from a major convention than Science City does. This is not about cleaning up the downtown or convention center area, this is about shutting down strip clubs across the state. I guess I don't see how that is going to help anything. Shutting down stem cell research and hampering efforts to create a large bio science industry in KC is not going to help either, especially when KC has assets like Stowers that have their hands tied because of people like Bartle.

And yes, I KNOW this is not something unique to KC. That doesn't mean KC (or Missouri) should do it too.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Considering liquor is more broadly consumed than strip joints, the liquor laws in other states like NY, Florida, Washington, etc are more 'bible beltish'. MO essentialy has the least liquor controls while more 'liberal' states you can't even buy wine/hard liquor in a grocery store.

I disagree this will even make even a slight impact on convention biz, which seems to be the primary concern of yours. But I do find it ridiculous Jeff City is focused on adult biz, sidetracked on growing MO employment.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,172,773 times
Kansas City didn't vote for Matt Bartle, though. The 8th district is eastern Jackson County and Lee's Summit. Only a small sliver of Knobtown is in Bartle's district.

Kansas City's Senator, Jolie Justus, was the lone audible no vote against the strip club restrictions (though Joe Keveany in western StL City also voted no). There's not much Kansas City can do about the behavior of the elected representatives of the entire rest of the state.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Kansas City didn't vote for Matt Bartle, though. The 8th district is eastern Jackson County and Lee's Summit. Only a small sliver of Knobtown is in Bartle's district.

Kansas City's Senator, Jolie Justus, was the lone audible no vote against the strip club restrictions (though Joe Keveany in western StL City also voted no). There's not much Kansas City can do about the behavior of the elected representatives of the entire rest of the state.
True. KC and StL need to bring some more people to Jeff City and DC to even things out a bit.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 AM

29,988 posts, read 36,079,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
True. KC and StL need to bring some more people to Jeff City and DC to even things out a bit.
Good heavens no! KC and St. Louis are Progressive cancers upon our state when it comes to its politicians.

A little intellectual honesty in the OP would have been refreshing. No one is trying to kill stem cell research in Kansas City. However, limits upon the use of human embryos when it comes to embryonic stem cell research and human cloning are a legitimate area for debate in bioethics. So, make certain to differentiate between embryonic stem cell research and adult stem cell research when making your thread claims for accuracy sake, please.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,318,885 times
Although I'm unconvinced it has a serious effect on the convention inductry, I'm happy to agree with you that the strip club changes are not only asinine and pointless but also the opposite of true limited government conservatism.

But for those of us on the left of things, take heart: MO ain't as red as sometimes it has appeared to be and its bellweather status is still very much in play. We're gonna have a tight race in MO in '12 Obama, Romney tied in Missouri - Public Policy Polling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or