U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1313 View Post
KCMO YOU DIDNT READ MY POST THE WILDERNESS IF YOU DO SOME RESEARCH CRIME IN THE WILDERNESS IS ZERO IF YOU ARE IN THE TRUE WILDERNESS THE WILDERNESS DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU GO THE CLOSEST PERSON OR TOWN OR VILLAGE CAN BE 200 TO 500 MILES AWAY FROM YOU AND YOU HAVE TO FLY AND LAND A PLANE ON THE WATER TO WALK AROUND
Well good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Not being a great people person myself, I sympathize. I don't think I'd like that kind of life full time, but it would be nice to go to some place like the Alaskan wilderness to clear the head. Far away from people, traffic, lights, noise... some place where there's no chance at all of encountering any of that.
I'm not a great people person either, but because of that I desire a busier environment in which I am naturally around people more often. Walking in a public environment (like an urban neighborhood), dining out, riding the bus, etc. all seem to have a good effect. I appreciate the country, but wanting to live permanently in total isolation because of a problem with people seems anti-social to me. But all that aside, if the OP really wants to live isolated, why Alaska? There are plenty of rural areas near KC, and plenty of very rural areas in western KS, in the Ozarks, Ouachitas, etc. There's dirt cheap living available at some of the lakes south of here. Literally, $500 lots and cheap cabin-style mobile homes.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
Alaska is stunningly beautiful, but a very hard place to eke out an existence. My dad spent a lot of time up around Fairbanks in the '70s while in the Army and it never truly left his system I don't think.

Have you read Into the Wild? It's a must read IMO.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM

648 posts, read 1,045,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I just want to live in a safe place with punctuation!
Thread winner!!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm not a great people person either, but because of that I desire a busier environment in which I am naturally around people more often. Walking in a public environment (like an urban neighborhood), dining out, riding the bus, etc. all seem to have a good effect. I appreciate the country, but wanting to live permanently in total isolation because of a problem with people seems anti-social to me. But all that aside, if the OP really wants to live isolated, why Alaska? There are plenty of rural areas near KC, and plenty of very rural areas in western KS, in the Ozarks, Ouachitas, etc. There's dirt cheap living available at some of the lakes south of here. Literally, $500 lots and cheap cabin-style mobile homes.
Yes, the areas south of KC will remain cheap as long as they have jobs that pay next to nothing. And, reserviors are not lakes the last time I checked. If you want to know what a real lake looks like you have to go to the northern tier.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
And, reserviors are not lakes the last time I checked. If you want to know what a real lake looks like you have to go to the northern tier.
Hair-splitting. They both hold copious quantities of water and support fish.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hair-splitting. They both hold copious quantities of water and support fish.
Reservoirs, however, aren't natural features and will deteriorate significantly over time due to sedimentation buildup if not funded or maintained. That is why it surprises me why people build housing on top of reservoirs. It is true that both features do contain a plethora of fish and provide a good supply of water

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Yes, the areas south of KC will remain cheap as long as they have jobs that pay next to nothing. And, reserviors are not lakes the last time I checked. If you want to know what a real lake looks like you have to go to the northern tier.
I am fine with that part of the country being rural. That's what you're recognizing. it's called rural. Not every stretch of the country needs to be develped and sprawling to the same extent. Jobs that pay next to nothing? Well, it cost next to nothing to live there, plus many folks turn over hundreds of thousands off land they own or are in business for themselves. Some people like having those options. And besides, moreso than low pay what you're seeing is a lack in significant number or concentration of jobs. Jobs are concentrated in cities, NWA, Tulsa, Dallas-FW, and not so much spread throughout rural areas.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
Quote:
This reminds me of a relative of mine, a Wisconsin native, who inherited some land at Beaver Lake, Arkansas. She went down to see it, and immediately reported back in total disgust, "My God, it's a man-made lake!!" like it was a mortal sin.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This reminds me of a relative of mine, a Wisconsin native, who inherited some land at Beaver Lake, Arkansas. She went down to see it, and immediately reported back in total disgust, "My God, it's a man-made lake!!" like it was a mortal sin.
Well, Wisconsin is a northern state

I urge you to visit the Northwoods of Wisconsin in either Vilas, Oneida, or Sawyer counties. Then, compare the lakes there to the reserviors further south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City