U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times

Advertisements

Good article in today's KC Star. I did not realize we had a significant net loss of trees within the city. Growing up here the Parks Dept. always seemed so active in planting trees I'll admint I've taken it for granted that we have been a tree city and would remain so. Yet, the budget for planting is really quite tight.

Neighborhood groups asked to help rebuild KC’s ‘urban forest’ - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/04/3410816/kc-tries-to-replace-its-vanishing.html - broken link)

Quote:
We’re probably removing 3,000 trees a year in Kansas City” because of age or damage, Lapointe, 51, said last week as he stood by a row of stumps at 62nd and Oak streets.

Because of budget cuts, with taxes going to other priorities, the city no longer has the money to replace trees. The result, which Lapointe hopes to change, is that the city now counts 408,000 public trees, down from 415,000 in 2008. That was the last year the city replanted 3,000 trees at a cost of about $500,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I saw that, too...it's interesting, because KC has the sense of being so much more tree-filled than many other comparably urban locales. But there are, indeed, wide swaths that are in need of reforestation. It's going to fall very much to the environmental groups like Bridging the Gap (which an organization I'm active with has partnered with in the past) and charities to address this, obviously, versus counting on the city. The Westside Community Action Network, who also operate an urban community garden, have taken the initiative of planting an urban orchard, but its very much in the baby stages, and dependent upon the help of volunteers.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,423,192 times
Why does it cost $500,000 to plant 3,000 trees? That is $166.67 per sapling. You can buy 100 Burr Oak saplings that are 18 - 24" tall for $2.25 each. Now I know you have to transport the saplings to wherever you are going to plant them and you will need to carry some shovels, water, and maybe some mulch (and you'll have to pay the salaries of those who plant them), but that should not come to $167 per sapling, especially when if they plant several at the same time. I bet some Boy or Girl Scouts would love to help plant trees.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Is anybody on here old enough to remember the major loss of trees KCMO incurred back in the 1950’s I think? My parents and grandparents always talk(ed) about it. They grew up on the east side (Swope Parkway, Cleveland Ave etc). This was back when those areas were nice middle class areas.

Apparently disease killed tens of thousands of trees in like one year and much of the city was never the same since. I will have to get some more details on that because a lot of my family seems to have vivid memories of it so it must have been pretty bad.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-05-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 PM

36 posts, read 57,402 times
iwhy it cost so much is because someone in the goverment is going to make there bank account fatter thats why

Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Is anybody on here old enough to remember the major loss of trees KCMO incurred back in the 1950ís I think? My parents and grandparents always talk(ed) about it. They grew up on the east side (Swope Parkway, Cleveland Ave etc). This was back when those areas were nice middle class areas.

Apparently disease killed tens of thousands of trees in like one year and much of the city was never the same since. I will have to get some more details on that because a lot of my family seems to have vivid memories of it so it must have been pretty bad.
Dutch Elm disease?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Dutch Elm disease?
Possibly, here is something I found about it, but I thought it was earlier than the dates in the below quotes says. I think there was one or two years where is was just brutal.

Quote:
Some cities such as Kansas City, Missouri, had used mostly American elms in planting its city streets and had had some of the finest shaded residential streets in the nation, until the disease almost obliterated these plantings in the late 1960s and early 1970s
This is interesting.

http://www.aapra.org/Pugsley/VaydikFrank.html

It mentioned the etax was passed to help the trees.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Why does it cost $500,000 to plant 3,000 trees? That is $166.67 per sapling. You can buy 100 Burr Oak saplings that are 18 - 24" tall for $2.25 each. Now I know you have to transport the saplings to wherever you are going to plant them and you will need to carry some shovels, water, and maybe some mulch (and you'll have to pay the salaries of those who plant them), but that should not come to $167 per sapling, especially when if they plant several at the same time. I bet some Boy or Girl Scouts would love to help plant trees.
My observations of the trees the city usually plants average at least 5' in height. If you drive down Gregory Blvd. through Swope Park you can usually see part of the nursery stock along the N. side of the street just W. of Hillcrest Rd..

Quote:
Dutch Elm disease?
Yes, Dutch Elm disease hit KC and the trees along the boulevard system very badly. Sadly we may be seeing a repeat with the emerald ash borer in the not too distant future. It is my understanding the emerald ash borer has already taken quite a toll in the St. Louis area.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 AM

439 posts, read 1,191,846 times
Quote:
Dutch Elm disease?
Yup, that is probably it. Dutch Elm devasted many midwest Elm trees in the mid 50s to the late 60s. I grew up in Davenport, IA and lived on a blvd heavy with Elm trees. Driving down the street was driving down a thick canopy. By the early 70s most of the big trees were gone. The city has thankfully re-planted during that time and the blvd is somewhat back to what it was in the 60s.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
I can only imagine the Emerald Ash Borer will soon wreak havoc on KC's trees as has happened in so many other areas of the midwest.

KCP&L Braces for Emerald Ash Borer Infestation - Transmission and Distribution World

[quote] About 10,000 ash trees line the streets in the Kansas City metropolitan area, and thousands more are growing in home-owners' yards, says Helene Miller, the Missouri Department of Conservation District forester. [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or