U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 AM

50 posts, read 67,599 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to KC, will be arriving in a couple of weeks, so my question is w/ all due respect to my future neighbors, as this will be my new home, faults and all. I'm just curious as to why, time and time again, Kansas City and to a lesser extent, St. Louis, consistently end up on lists such as this. Is there something I and other newcomers need to know? Is law enforcement more lax? Are Missourians/ites (not sure of the vernacular) more tolerant/or not by reporting crime less/more? The air or the water? I'm grasping at straws here because it's gotta go beyond poverty, oppression, and the traditional crime contributors, as places like New York and Chicago are often not on these lists, or at least not in the top ten.

If it's just a ratio thing relative to the total population of KC vs. Metro....somebody once wrote about a city border/size issue or some other formality, but I can't recall the thread, so feel free to include the math, I'd appreciate having the info.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
St. Louis usually ranks worse on the crime lists than Kansas City. Sometimes St. Louis is top five behind places like Camden, NJ and Memphis, TN.

Part of it is the kinds of crimes reported. Chicago doesn't report rape statistics, for example. Kansas City does. So does St. Louis. In terms of crimes per capita, one-hundred homicides in KCMO (city, not metropolitan area) will rank much worse than four-hundred homicides in Chicago.

Violent crime is a problem in certain parts of town. That can't be ignored. 85% of all homicides around here are drug-related. You'll see it on the news. But the vast majority of the metropolitan area is perfectly safe.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM

3,572 posts, read 6,195,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
I'm moving to KC, will be arriving in a couple of weeks, so my question is w/ all due respect to my future neighbors, as this will be my new home, faults and all. I'm just curious as to why, time and time again, Kansas City and to a lesser extent, St. Louis, consistently end up on lists such as this. Is there something I and other newcomers need to know? Is law enforcement more lax? Are Missourians/ites (not sure of the vernacular) more tolerant/or not by reporting crime less/more? The air or the water? I'm grasping at straws here because it's gotta go beyond poverty, oppression, and the traditional crime contributors, as places like New York and Chicago are often not on these lists, or at least not in the top ten.

If it's just a ratio thing relative to the total population of KC vs. Metro....somebody once wrote about a city border/size issue or some other formality, but I can't recall the thread, so feel free to include the math, I'd appreciate having the info.

Thanks.
It seems like you're trying to figure out what it is about Kansas City that causes it to rank high on lists of dangerous places or places with high crime. Well, it's quite simple really. Kansas City is a burned-out industrial city, like other rustbelt cities. Don't get me wrong, KC has it's good side too, and many like to think of KC as not ever having had it near as bad as cities deeper into the rustbelt further east and to be doing well in the "new economy" compared to other old industrial cities. But the fact is, KC suffers from this affliction and thus has a high proportion of ghetto. To help put it in perspective, Detroit would be the epic center of said affliction. Another way of putting it is KC drew a lot of folks from outside the metro during the industrial era to work industrial jobs and when those jobs went away it left a huge population of socially standed people who had nowhere to turn, and thus it's a socio-economic problem. In other words, Kansas City has cancer.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
^Wow, you tend to post misinformed debbie downer posts but you've topped yourself here. Cancer?

KC metro as a whole is above average white collar and ranks above average educated, with much better than avg poverty/uneducated. KCMO is partly blue collar/industrial (as expected) but below Midwest average overall. What KC has in common with many Midwest cities is that they let the city core go in favor of the suburbs from 50s to 90s. However downtown is coming back with population growing again. Downtown had over $6B investment over last 10 years.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20589303-post42.html

KCMO sometimes hits top 10 for crime but in 2011 it wasn't in top 20. STL is consistently top 10 and usually top 5. KC's East Side is the primary problem and yeah, it's a large area. There are a couple E Side hoods ranked top 10 worst in country - but is easy to avoid. Downtown/midtown KC crime index is on par or better than many other city cores, and lower than Minneapolis downtown/uptown - locals call it Murderapolis.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2011...Lo-Hi_2011.pdf
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf
Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities

That said, KCMO and STL need to figure out how to reduce crime as it's a problem whether ranked high or not. Seems KCs crime was at its lowest when unemployment was below 5%.

Last edited by xenokc; 02-19-2012 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^Wow, you tend to post misinformed debbie downer posts but you've topped yourself here. Cancer?
Just because you don't like the angle I'm coming from, which is blatantly acknowledging the reality, doesn't make what I said misinformed or inaccurate. In my mind, Kansas City is plagued by social cancer. Those " couple of hoods" you recognize as having been ranked among the 10 worst in the country are just the primary tumors.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Then most every city has a 'cancer' area. In LA it's S Central/Compton. In SF area, it's Oakland. In Chicago, it's S Side, etc. You implied KC as a whole has cancer but it's not even in the top 20 for crime, though sometimes it is.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,462,249 times
Having grown up in Alton, IL (metro east STL area ) and having spent significant time in KCMO nothing KCMO has concerning massive blight and crime compares to East St.Louis.

If you have never seen East St.Louis there is nothing I could tell you that would accurately explain just how bad it is.

You would have to see it for yourself.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,204,227 times
STL gets a bad rap because of the way the city and county are divided, it would not even be in the Top 50 if it was counted like every other city. I'm not saying crime isn't a problem, but it is narrowed to pretty much one area of the city (Northside). I actually believe KC and STL were neck and neck when it came to homicides in 2011 and STL is larger by almost a million people.
Missouri needs to pull it together and do something about the crime problem. I believe STL and KC are the only cities in the US without local control of their police force, I know STL is working to regain control. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Regardless of the stats, there are plenty very safe and wonderful areas of KC. Use your head and you should be fine.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Then most every city has a 'cancer' area. In LA it's S Central/Compton. In SF area, it's Oakland. In Chicago, it's S Side, etc. You implied KC as a whole has cancer but it's not even in the top 20 for crime, though sometimes it is.
Yes, many cities are plagued. Like I said before, Detroit would be the epic center of said plague. That doesn't make it any better or less real. KC is clearly afflicted, even if on the tapered end. And I'd say that affliction does have a negative effect on the overall city and metro. Some cities have little to no ghetto, maybe a pocket at best. Some cities have a high proportion of ghetto - and KC does. KCMO has one of the largest swaths of ghetto in the country. KCMO's ghetto is absolutely huge geographically and it's epic center is intense - those neighborhoods having made the top 10 worst in the country are indicative of that intensity. But the ghetto (IE: areas people are warned not to go) is much more than those neighborhoods that are the very worst and extends, what, 10 miles along the the east side of Troost and a few miles wide? I'm not sure there's a city in the country that has an off limits area that huge, let alone one similarly sized to KC. The worst part is that the BEST parts of urban KC (downtown to Waldo) run the same distance (10 miles or so, a couple miles wide) along the west side of Troost and all of our best neighborhoods are merely blocks away or literally across the street from the ghetto, which is unfortunate for our urban core but fortunate by proximity for thieves that want to rob your house, carjack you, or otherwise prey on people on the good side of town.

Seriously, what other city in the country has not only such a huge swath of ghetto, let alone one that runs directly beside its best neighborhoods, not even seperated by railroad tracks or anything except a street? There may be something similar, but I do believe KC is pretty unique in this regard and it sucks but is reality.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM

^Melodrama award. At least you agree it's east side. You implied entire city at first. Most every city has problem areas. You seem to think kc is only one. Though a large area, it's primarily one area with major issues.

Last edited by xenokc; 02-19-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City