U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:05 PM

5,525 posts, read 1,659,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
It is the crime. Not just the crime itself, but the complete, utter refusal to acknowledge it as such. Most of the violent crime committed by black thugs. However one isn't allowed to say that.
There is absolutely nothing unique to Kansas City about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
2 more makes 74... Over 40% increase from this time last year.
And a few days ago it had increased to 84, compared with 56 this time last year.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:24 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
One year trends can be a combination of random variation or something like a gang-war in many cities. I wouldn't sweat it that much as a long-term thing.

Also, math is tricky with % increases and decreases because if you have 100 murders one year 150 the next and then back to 100 the third year you have a 50% increase but only a 33% decrease which can impact perceptions.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:04 AM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Hey folks, it's been a few years since posting. I miss KC, but there is one deal breaker to where I will not consider moving back to the area.

It is the crime. Not just the crime itself, but the complete, utter refusal to acknowledge it as such. Most of the violent crime committed by black thugs. However one isn't allowed to say that.

Here's how a typical thread like this goes whether on this subforum, /r/kansascity , or any other KC based subforum:
OP: describes a horrendous violent crime
other poster: points out was committed by blacks
SJW: how DARE you suggest a black person would commit a crime!? white people commit as many or more crimes!!
someone else: tries to explain the entire history of american poverty and black oppression (all from generations ago) while apologizing and trying to excuse the crime.
another (or the same SJW): why don't you go home to your mcmansion at 135th and quivira, joco racist!

It's the same tired trope. But here's why I'm concerned. In the past, one could avoid most of the violent crime by staying out of the core of KCMO. However in the past few years, there have been a lot of crimes against innocent victims minding their own business, in areas once considered safe.

A black Muslim dude shooting at many cars, killing one, on the freeways. Turned out this one was working at my mother's company the whole time.
Numerous muggings (all by blacks) at Oak Park Mall.
A man attacking a random old woman with a hatchet.
The pissed off old white guy killing the Indian at Austin's, a bar I briefly went to on Friday nights.
The pissed off old white guy who thought he was killing Jews, actually killed Methodists.
The Indian creek shootings, all targeting a specific type of old man. Yet police say it's definitely not a serial killer.
Biker gangs going around bashing in mirrors and attacking drivers on the freeways.
The two 13 year old thugs that carjacked a woman in Lee's Summit, and beat her to death.
... and many more.

I live in a city much more liberal than KC, and yet we don't have anywhere NEAR this level of violence, especially at innocent strangers. And yet, it all gets sweeped under the rug in KC forums. Everyone likes to pretend it's not an issue "oh just don't hang with the wrong people" or "just stay out of this TINY TINY part of town, and even most of that is super duper safe", or "don't leave anything in your car, leave anything visible in your house, don't walk around at night, look out at every moment, but we promise it's safe here". A millenial friend of mine moved to a bad area east of Troost, and with a straight face, tried to convince me that his new area is safer than his hometown of Belton. Bull****. This is called cognitive dissonance. KC is as cucked as Sweden.

I know I will likely get banned for calling it like it is, and honestly, I don't care. I may be making wrong assumptions based on how the geography of crime stats is determined (i.e. by city vs county lines?), but I find it disheartening that KC still often makes the top ten of crime when the majority of its population is in a very far flung suburban area given that KC annexed farmland like it's Houston or something, and most of the other top ten are boxed in like St. Louis.

I wasn't trying to make this sound like it's about race, as many many blacks have left the thug world to lead solid middle class lives, often in suburbia, and often while embracing conservative values. However the constant SJW bull****, name calling, race baiting, virtue signalling etc won't get ANYWHERE toward solving the actual problem, the KC area's obscenely high violent crime rate. And for new millenials moving into the urban core, distractions like the streetcar, power and light district, downtown lofts, river market revival etc will only go so far before crime gets to people, and they leave. The meh economy, with crap professional salaries and domination by a few evil megacorps isn't helping matters either, but that's for a different thread.
Calling it like it is is the mortal enemy of the SJWs advancing the agenda of the left and that's why they don't allow it. Left unpunished, truth stops them in their tracks.

You've clearly identified one of the two major deterrents to my ever returning to the KC area. The other is the summer weather.

Good post, Jason. I'm glad you haven't been banned.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 PM

19,147 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Harlem (as well as many parts of Brooklyn and Queens) are gentrifying like there is no tomorrow. Whites are probably still the minority though as you said, it's being by all races. Pretty amazing what has happened in Harlem, but man you are still very close to some rough areas there.
Yes, Harlem still has some pretty dangerous spots, but it's nothing like when I used to frequent there in the mid-90's. 125th Street looks just like 34th Street now, no lie

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 180,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Calling it like it is is the mortal enemy of the SJWs advancing the agenda of the left and that's why they don't allow it. Left unpunished, truth stops them in their tracks.

You've clearly identified one of the two major deterrents to my ever returning to the KC area. The other is the summer weather.

Good post, Jason. I'm glad you haven't been banned.
Let's be blunt. Black, white, red or yellow, the U.S. is a country flooded with guns and poverty. Combine the two and the stupidity of more and more and more guns just makes the country fall further into the hell hole of what we have today. Great job, everyone!

Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM

5,166 posts, read 2,847,595 times
Kansas City suffers from many of the same problems Chicago and St Louis suffer from. The city is highly segregated, amenities are nearly non-existent in the "bad" parts of town, jobs are nearly non-existent, and the parts of town with the worst crime are often the furthest from the parts of town without crime problems.

Many neighborhoods in Chicago are seeing gentrification, but it's only really the ones closest to downtown, and accessible to public transit.

It's strange how the media reports on crime. You always hear about crime in Chicago, yet there are many other cities with a higher crime rate. You never hear about KC or STL crime on a national level. But I will admit that high crime neighborhoods in Chicago look a lot scarier than high crime neighborhoods in KC, so maybe appearance plays a role.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:11 AM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizm View Post
Let's be blunt. Black, white, red or yellow, the U.S. is a country flooded with guns and poverty. Combine the two and the stupidity of more and more and more guns just makes the country fall further into the hell hole of what we have today. Great job, everyone!
Much as I have long been outspoken about the fact that we have way too many guns in way too many wrong hands, guns have nothing to do with the downward slide of this nation over the last 30 years.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Kansas City suffers from many of the same problems Chicago and St Louis suffer from. The city is highly segregated
Not it's not.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:22 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Much as I have long been outspoken about the fact that we have way too many guns in way too many wrong hands, guns have nothing to do with the downward slide of this nation over the last 30 years.
You are so correct CrownVic95. It's not the guns, it's the people. It would be like saying ban cars because of DUIs. It's not the cars, it's the people and the people that have the cars. If people are against guns, don't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or