U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM

872 posts, read 1,639,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGare View Post
Ranking "CITIES" (as in city limits) is junk science, because some cities, such as St. Louis, have city limits that are just the inner core (inner 1/12) of their metro area -- where most crime occurs -- and other "cities", such as Houston or Oklahoma City, set their city limits way out to include most of their low crime suburbs and thus dilute the city crime rate.

A much more fair comparison is Metro Area to Metro Area, since those are not political boundaries, but represent consistent boundary rules set by the federal government. So the Metro Area rankings correctly compare apples to apples. In the Metro Area rankings, St. Louis is consistently shown to be safer than Kansas City.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2011...Lo-Hi_2011.pdf
I am pretty sure that if you included STL metro...the crime statistics would be even worse...cough East STL cough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I am pretty sure that if you included STL metro...the crime statistics would be even worse...cough East STL cough...
East StL is only like 35k people. St Louis County is like a million people.

Metro StL is actually safer than metro KC, even when including East StL.

Metro KC has a LOT of blight and just run down areas that cover huge portions of the metro as sprawl has really done more than its fair share of harm to the metro and the crime in KCMO's east side is some of the worst concentrated violent crime anywhere in America.

KC has some nice urban spots and some decent suburbs, but for the most part, the city could fit in an area about 1/5 its current size if all the blight and un-used land were wiped away. StL City has many good areas. I would say it might have more good areas than KCMO does south of the river percentage wise. When you look at the original city limits of kcmo or even the entire city south of the river, I think KCMO has more issues than StL City does.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM

872 posts, read 1,639,663 times
I disagree. I don't think it would take many people very long to drive into STL and say, "d@mn, this place is messed up". Lots and LOTS of run-down buildings, trash, graffiti, etc. STL is not a friendly place to be. I would honestly argue that I would rather walk south of downtown KC than north/east STL at midnight. However, they both are disgusting, yes.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:58 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
South of downtown KC is bad? Have you ever actually been here?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,783 times
This came out today...
Kansas City Star : National crime rates going up, those reported to KC police staying down

Crime is down in KC while up in US.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,197,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
South of downtown KC is bad? Have you ever actually been here?
Some of the worst neighborhoods in KC are "south" of downtown, actually southeast.

I didn't realize it, but a couple of years ago and for a couple years in a row the 64106 zip code, which is the northeastern part of downtown and just northeast of downtown, ranked as one of the most dangerous zip codes in the United States.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_n...ous-in-the-u.s.-

Although, the fact these rankings rank Joplin the 53rd most dangerous city in America (KCK is 54th, KCMO 59th) makes them pretty questionable.

Last edited by MOKAN; 10-17-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Some of the worst neighborhoods in KC are "south" of downtown, actually southeast.

I didn't realize it, but a couple of years ago and for a couple years in a row the 64106 zip code, which is the northeastern part of downtown and just northeast of downtown, ranked as one of the most dangerous zip codes in the United States.

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_n...ous-in-the-u.s.-

Although, the fact these rankings rank Joplin the 53rd most dangerous city in America (KCK is 54th, KCMO 59th) makes them pretty questionable.
Sure, but, frankly, it's the east designation that makes that area dangerous, not the south. The best parts of the entire city are "south of downtown"

Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Metro KC has a LOT of blight and just run down areas that cover huge portions of the metro as sprawl has really done more than its fair share of harm to the metro
Yes, but is it more? It seems to me like there is a geographically HUGE portion of (what I think is) North StL County that is very, very like Ruskin/Hickman Mills (aka, sprawly suburban and lower working class) and a there's a pretty noticeable chunk of South County that's like that, too. Even in the city, besides the trainwreck north of Delmar (which is, admittedly, no worse than eastside KC) there's still plenty of south city that's pretty rough. I mean, metro St Louis is every bit as sprawly as KC, and, with a million more people, it sure seems like there are larger swaths of both good and bad.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 10-19-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 AM

^ The vast majority of North St. Louis County, whatever those from West or South County might like to say, is middle class, diverse and has decent, if not slightly middling, schools. Florissant, Ferguson, Hazelwood, St. Ann etc. are vast swaths of solid, stable suburbs. Really only the municipalities just outside of the northern city limits have major problems -- areas like Jennings and Wellston.

North St. Louis city is, however, a totally different story and has all kinds of problems, but it's not really all that geographically large a piece of the city. Really only about 25 or so square miles when it comes down to it.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
I'm sure you're right, but the same could be said about a lot of the southeast suburbs in KC. There a big chunks of what a lot of people consider unlivable, dangerous ghetto that are actually -- to people like you and I and KCMO -- stable working class or lower middle-class neighborhoods. None of us live in them, or want to, but we all recognize the difference between ghettos and rough spots and hyperbolic suburbanite fear-based reputations. But too me, a lot of those North County cities look a lot like those SE KCMO neighborhoods, only bigger. And the parts of South County I've been in (admittedly, I don't know a lot about it) is a lot like Western Independence or even Raytown. And East KCMO (not including Northeast) is about the same square mileage as North StL (assuming you are using Troost and Delmar as the divides).

Last edited by SPonteKC; 10-19-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or