U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Reputation: 3739

Advertisements

^I would generally agree with that -- though I still say Florissant is a significantly nicer place to live that a Hickman Mills. I think the metros are fairly even when it comes to these demographics. I just think South County and most of North County, to me, is more Northland-ish socioeconomically.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,147,204 times
Reputation: 1916
Well, I'll certainly take your word for it. I am certainly not particularly familiar with StL County. It probably comes as no surprise that 95% of the time I spend in StL is in the central corridor or near-south city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,200,497 times
Reputation: 2549
I've always gotten the impression, at least from what I've heard, that North County and South County, demographically, are a lot like KC's Jackson County suburbs if they were divided and separated by the city. Meaning black working/middle-class in North County and white working/middle class in South County. And that sort of outflow pattern from STL city makes sense being that the north side is black and south side has been historically largely working-class white, with both sides being divided by central corridor. Then central and West County seems more analogous with Johnson County in KC - that southwestward pattern from the Plaza and Brookside. Although clearly the inner suburbs in STL are more urbanish because they are older and Clayton is a better, more urban alternative to Corporate Woods. Although the Plaza is a better alternative than STL Galleria. I've heard St. Charles compared to Olathe, but always wondered if a better comparison might be KC's northland. East STL? Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties if Quindaro were its own city like ESTL and rest of KCK's distinct old neighborhoods that are former towns were still independent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've always gotten the impression, at least from what I've heard, that North County and South County, demographically, are a lot like KC's Jackson County suburbs if they were divided and separated by the city. Meaning black working/middle-class in North County and white working/middle class in South County. And that sort of outflow pattern from STL city makes sense being that the north side is black and south side has been historically largely working-class white, with both sides being divided by central corridor. Then central and West County seems more analogous with Johnson County in KC - that southwestward pattern from the Plaza and Brookside. Although clearly the inner suburbs in STL are more urbanish because they are older and Clayton is a better, more urban alternative to Corporate Woods. Although the Plaza is a better alternative than STL Galleria. I've heard St. Charles compared to Olathe, but always wondered if a better comparison might be KC's northland. East STL? Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties if Quindaro were its own city like ESTL and rest of KCK's distinct old neighborhoods that are former towns were still independent.
Well yes and no. North City and the surrounding municipalities were actually once quite white in their own right. My mom's parents were a part of essentially the first wave of white flighters, leaving Moline Acres for what were then the exurbs of Creve Coeur in the early 60s.

Outside of that I agree with just about everything you've said here. I think the reason St. Charles is so hard to categorize in this same way is simply because Kansas City doesn't really have its own St. Charles county because of the population difference of the metro. St. Charles is as far from the city as Oak Grove and St. Peters is as far as Tonganoxie. Wentzville is as far from St. Louis as Lawrence is from Kansas City.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: CasaMo
15,294 posts, read 7,151,642 times
Reputation: 16384
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've always gotten the impression, at least from what I've heard, that North County and South County, demographically, are a lot like KC's Jackson County suburbs if they were divided and separated by the city. Meaning black working/middle-class in North County and white working/middle class in South County. And that sort of outflow pattern from STL city makes sense being that the north side is black and south side has been historically largely working-class white, with both sides being divided by central corridor. Then central and West County seems more analogous with Johnson County in KC - that southwestward pattern from the Plaza and Brookside. Although clearly the inner suburbs in STL are more urbanish because they are older and Clayton is a better, more urban alternative to Corporate Woods. Although the Plaza is a better alternative than STL Galleria. I've heard St. Charles compared to Olathe, but always wondered if a better comparison might be KC's northland. East STL? Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties if Quindaro were its own city like ESTL and rest of KCK's distinct old neighborhoods that are former towns were still independent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well yes and no. North City and the surrounding municipalities were actually once quite white in their own right. My mom's parents were a part of essentially the first wave of white flighters, leaving Moline Acres for what were then the exurbs of Creve Coeur in the early 60s.

Outside of that I agree with just about everything you've said here. I think the reason St. Charles is so hard to categorize in this same way is simply because Kansas City doesn't really have its own St. Charles county because of the population difference of the metro. St. Charles is as far from the city as Oak Grove and St. Peters is as far as Tonganoxie. Wentzville is as far from St. Louis as Lawrence is from Kansas City.
And I thought I was the only person that thought about things like this.

I've always compared
Olathe - Wentzville
Shawnee/Lenexas - St.Peters/Ofallon
Leawood - Town and Country
Prairie Village - Kirkwood
Waldo - Maplewood
Overland Park - Ballwin/Manchester/Chesterfield
Mission Hills - Ladue/Frontenac
Plaza/Brookside - Clayton
Grain Valley - Eureka
Peculiar - Foristell

Meh.. Not perfect comparisons, though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
872 posts, read 1,640,530 times
Reputation: 555
South of downtown includes the east, too.

Of course the area around KS border and the Plaza are nice, but Westport sure isn't. KC isn't as "clear cut" as STL as far as good/bad areas. Everyone knows south/west STL are nice and north/east STl aren't. KC has bad areas everywhere
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
Reputation: 3739
What is it about Westport that concerns you? The frou frou coffee shops? The James Beard nominated restaurant? The delicious food trucks? All those scary PBR swilling hipsters at Buzzard Beach?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,200,497 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
South of downtown includes the east, too.

Of course the area around KS border and the Plaza are nice, but Westport sure isn't. KC isn't as "clear cut" as STL as far as good/bad areas. Everyone knows south/west STL are nice and north/east STl aren't. KC has bad areas everywhere
Why do you say Westport isn't nice and insinuate it's at all a bad area? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm interested in why you think that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,200,497 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well yes and no. North City and the surrounding municipalities were actually once quite white in their own right. My mom's parents were a part of essentially the first wave of white flighters, leaving Moline Acres for what were then the exurbs of Creve Coeur in the early 60s.

Outside of that I agree with just about everything you've said here. I think the reason St. Charles is so hard to categorize in this same way is simply because Kansas City doesn't really have its own St. Charles county because of the population difference of the metro. St. Charles is as far from the city as Oak Grove and St. Peters is as far as Tonganoxie. Wentzville is as far from St. Louis as Lawrence is from Kansas City.
KC's vast eastside was once much whiter too, as were the nearby municipalities of Raytown and Grandview.

Olathe is 22 miles, St. Charles is 24. If KC catches up with STL in population, it wouldn't surprise me of the Olathe/SW JoCo area becomes the part of the metro that most resembles St. Charles, if it doesn't already, now that I'm actually thinking about it. But that leaves out a Northland STL comparison, at least on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
And I thought I was the only person that thought about things like this.
Yeah, I thought that about myself and wasn't sure if I should post something so out there, especially with little familiarity with most of the STL area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Reputation: 5415
St Charles = Northland/Lee's Summit
Metro East = KCK/Wyandotte County/Leavenworth
South County = Northeast Johnson County
North County = Independence/Blue Springs
West County = Southern and western Johnson County
Central West End = Plaza/Westport
Clayton area = nothing really in KC, but parts are similar to Brookside but Mid County has similar characteristics to Brookside, Mission Hills, Fairway etc.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top