U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yes, but is it more? It seems to me like there is a geographically HUGE portion of (what I think is) North StL County that is very, very like Ruskin/Hickman Mills (aka, sprawly suburban and lower working class) and a there's a pretty noticeable chunk of South County that's like that, too. Even in the city, besides the trainwreck north of Delmar (which is, admittedly, no worse than eastside KC) there's still plenty of south city that's pretty rough. I mean, metro St Louis is every bit as sprawly as KC, and, with a million more people, it sure seems like there are larger swaths of both good and bad.
It just seems to me like North County is far more economically vibrant. It's nothing like west county or like it once was, but there seems to be less blight, especially retail blight as there are quite a few leased shopping centers in north county. I could be wrong though. It's not like I live there now.

This sort of brings up one thing that impressed me while in KC last week. Raytown has really turned around the 350 corridor. It's a very vibrant retail corridor, even more so than it was 10-15 years ago I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM

1,671 posts, read 1,919,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
South of downtown includes the east, too.

Of course the area around KS border and the Plaza are nice, but Westport sure isn't. KC isn't as "clear cut" as STL as far as good/bad areas. Everyone knows south/west STL are nice and north/east STl aren't. KC has bad areas everywhere
I think you need to visit the St. Louis region a bit more, I haven't agreed with a lot of what you've said so far in this thread, and some of it seems a bit spiteful... "Clear cut" huh? We seem to be (you included) talking about the metros as a whole, so when you say east (lowercase) STL "areas", I assume you realize East St. Louis (a city) and simply being east of St. Louis aren't the same thing, right? The Metro East region has 700,000 people, only around 35,000 of those live in East St. Louis, so...ummm... Don't get me wrong, there are several other small town around East St. Louis that I wouldn't want to live in, but everyone doesn't know that the Metro East is bad because most of the cities are perfectly fine or even quite nice; is Edwardsville, O'Fallon (IL), etc. for example ghetto to you???

Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM

414 posts, read 744,250 times
First world problems much? What we in America consider a dangerous city is a joke. Seriously, get over it. If you go somewhere and it seems nice....it's frakking nice.

Bad, dangerous places tend to give that impression right up front. Hellholes don't usually do a good job of faking something better.

So skip the lists, the ratings or whatever and experience a place rather than sucking down some other misinformed number geek's putrid drivel.

/rant

Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,730,413 times
Almost all blight of Metro STL is located in the city not in the vast suburbs. East st.louis has 35k so it barely contributes anything for the metro crime rates. North st.louis is in the city and yes it has problems but outside of north stl its generally lower middle class areas in stl.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,647,828 times
East. St. Louis+St. Louis City+St. Louis County actually has a lower homicide rate than KC. It's because St. Louis County has so much population but relatively little crime. I made a long post about it awhile back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Sorry, I'm about to hit you with a ton of numbers.

In raw numbers they weren't far off last year....

STL- 113
KC- 114

STL- 144
KC- 106

But of course, you have to factor in that KC has a larger population. So last year, KC's homicide rate was 25 per 100,000, compared to 35 for STL.

But what I'm saying is why compare STL by itself to KC when STL is almost completely an urban core whereas KC is an urban core plus suburbs plus rural areas. In fact, KC's population density is even less than that of St. Louis city+county. So if you compare the homicide rate of St. Louis city+county (and hell, I'll even throw in E.STL since there's a lot of crime there) then you'll see that STL had a lower homicide rate in 2011 than KC.

Homicides 2011
STL City- 113
STL County- 17
E.STL- 28 (this is an estimate, because I could only find the number up til Nov 22, which was 25)

The number of homicides for the three was 158. The total population was 1,344,000. So the homicide rate was about 12 per 100,000 compared to KC's 25. Even if you take that 158 and divide it by just half of 1,344,000, the homicide rate still wouldn't equal up to KC's 25 per 100,000.

And even though STL had a lower than usual crime rate that year and KC had a higher than usual crime rate, if you do the same thing, but compare 2010 numbers (a more "normal" year for crime), then the homicide rate was 14 for STL and 23 for KC.

So my point is, you're comparing a city with its original city limits to a city that has annexed into surrounding areas. I'm sure if you compare KC's original city limits to STL city, then the crime rate would be nearly equal.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,770 times
I don't understand why people compare KCMO & STL. When rankings or statistics are out in a national or local reports , they are separate reports for STL & KCMO. Do people believe that comparing KCMO & STL makes KCMO a more safer place to live???? NO!!! KCMO is the 10th dangerous city to live and that is the fact. Improve it or live with it!! Some people just don't get it. The rough and run down areas in KCMO are not only in downtown areas....KCMO is dirty, ghetto, and dangerous !!!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM

376 posts, read 429,685 times
Um, no. According to a story in Forbes from October 2012, St. Louis ranked as the second most dangerous city in the U.S., while KCMO did not even rank in the top 10. Also, downtown KC is very safe; I live there with my wife and daughters. So it would appear that you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,647,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
Um, no. According to a story in Forbes from October 2012, St. Louis ranked as the second most dangerous city in the U.S., while KCMO did not even rank in the top 10. Also, downtown KC is very safe; I live there with my wife and daughters. So it would appear that you don't know what you're talking about.
See my post up there^ and it'll explain to you why KC is really no safer than STL, at least when it comes to homicide rate.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,110,519 times
Odd that you'd create a new ID just to bump an old thread with old data. KC ranks about 20th now so is indeed improving. Sounds like you don't get to too many older cities. Downtown KC is fairly mild compared to major downtowns now - lower than Minneapolis, STL, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, LA, etc. Westport has significantly improved in last couple years. It's the E Side that is quite bad. What up with the fearmongering.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,770 times
@ pacificwhim-If you didn't understand my point, all I said was it isn't nessesary to compare KCMO &STL. You may be right and you live in downtown KCMO, & you feel safe,good for you!!!but again why mention STL,what difference does it make??? Does STL's rank make KCMO safe???or do you actually feel safe in KCMO because it's the 10th dangerous city in America NOT 2nd. MY POINT IS THAT PEOPLE SHOULD DISCUSS THE ISSUES OR SOLUTIONS FOR KCMO AND LEAVE THE STL ISSUE IN STL FORUM. AND I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT Most dangerous U.S. cities - Kansas City, Mo. (10) - CNNMoney.
@xenokc-I didn't understand what you were saying- however, If KCMO is improving, it is a wonderful news, check out the above link
By the way, I still think people in KCMO are the most warm and freindly people in America!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or