U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 30,531 times

Advertisements

I am 26 and moving from Lawrence Ks to Kansas City. I'm transferring to UMKC next year.
I currently go to college in KCK, so I'm not too unfamiliar with Kansas City, but there is a big difference between visiting and living there.
I have lived in Lawrence 10 years and it's THE biggest town I've ever lived in. I'm originally from Hays Ks.
Anyway...
My question is, I have no idea what neighborhoods are safe/friendly in Kansas City.
I don't hate the idea of living on the Missouri side, but I've always heard that it's worse then the Kansas side.
My mom gets treatment at KU Med, so I've been in that area a lot lately when I go to her doctor appointments and I really like Merriam/Roeland Park.
I'm just not sure if there is anything better that would be closer to UMKC.
I'm also looking for something on the lower end of the price range so the Plaza is out of the question. Something compairable to the rates in Lawrence (About 550-600 for a 2 bedroom appartment)
But I worry if I look on the cheap and don't know what I'm looking at I'll end up in a neighborhood that scares the hell out of me haha.

I'm not some sorority girl though so I do like some character. I've just never had to lock my doors or my car... cause I've always lived somewhere so safe.
I'll also be living with my boyfriend, he grew up in Overland Park (the rich part) so he doesn't know down town that well.
So I at least won't be alone.
Just looking for some advice.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,204,220 times
Is a 2-bedroom a must for you? Your budget will go significantlyfarther if you are willing to settle for a 1 bedroom. I live in a 2BR for $600 but I'll tell you right now it's well under market price because it's pretty dumpy. Huge (1200 sq/ft), incredibly walkable and in a safe neighborhood, but dumpy.

Next time you're at kumed, head just across the state line on 39th street and you'll see one of the most fun, down-to-earth and walkable neighborhoods in Kansas City. The neighborhood is Volker to the south of 39th and Roanoke to the north of 39th and the strip of restaurants (everything from inexpensive ethnic food to upscale), coffee shops (including a Starbucks), bars and specialty stores is often referred to as 39th St West. It's very "city" safe and violent crime is extremely rare.

Several single female coworkers happily live in the area -- I live with my fiance and have always felt very safe. There's even a facebook page dedicated to neighbors keeping each other updated on any crimes and there's far more lost dog postings than anything else.

You're right that you can't afford the Plaza, but you can definitely find something in West Plaza if you were interested -- you'd be a long walk/short bike ride from all the shopping and dining of the Plaza if that were more your style. Also a very safe neighborhood.

I know a lot of students (both UMKC and Rockhurst) live in the immediate vicinity of UMKC, but I'm less familiar with what are the best streets, and the neighborhood does deteriorate quickly to the east of campus.

If you find all of that too urban for you, your best bet in your price range probably is the Roeland Park area you mentioned liking.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
I also grew up in western Kansas (Colby area), moved to Lawrence, and then to Kansas City. When I first moved, I lived in an apartment in Mission- it was safe but it felt too far away from shops/plaza, and it would probably be about 15 minutes for you to get to school. Roeland Park is a little closer though. I then moved about a block north of the plaza and love it, but I'm in a two bedroom @ $950. I would definitely look in the west plaza area but wouldn't go any farther north than 43rd, and south of Shawnee Mission Parkway will probably get too expensive. I definitely would not feel safe east of UMKC. In fact, I wouldn't go east of the plaza, i.e. Broadway Blvd., and keep north of Ward Pkwy. I hope this helps, good luck!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM

West Plaza is actually slightly more dangerous than Volker, probably because there are more apartments (though I consider both very safe) so the advice to stay south of 43rd seems odd to me. Otherwise, there's some good points in there.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,109,249 times
Another doable area is near the Plaza Library, which is between UMKC, Plaza - both in walking distance - and on the Main MAX bus line. Reasonably safe area, has UMKC hangout restaurants and also has neighborhood amenities, like a CVS within walking distance.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I lived on the Plaza in a 1BR with my SO when I first moved to KC (48th and Roanoke vicinity near the Bloch Cancer Survivors' Park and used to walk down Brush creek to UMKC a lot - vintage building, not a gut-rehab luxury condo with guaranteed parking or anything), and it was affordable...aragx6 is correct that if you determine you don't really need the second bedroom, you may find certain areas more affordable than you think.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Default Thanks!

Our price range is higher for moving to KC we are able to go up to 750 and a second bedroom is a must.
We have 4 cats, and I have to have a sewing room (I make all my own clothes)
Our current apartment is only 800 sqft and we have a room mate, so I can deal with small spaces just as long as there is a closeable door to my sewing area (because of the cats)
I was looking online (craigslist) and found quite a few places definitely in our price range around Shawnee Mission/Rainbow

I am also a little frightened about living in a big apartment complex. I have been in my current apartment for 7 years. It's locally owned and there are only 8 of them (It's 2 4plex buildings) and the buildings are really old. But I like it.
I'm okay with driving places, I don't walk around much in Lawrence. I also don't mind driving 15-20 minutes to school because I currently drive 40 miles to class.
Also I'm not too picky on how nice the place is. I mean as long as it's clean and everything in it works I'm happy.
Thanks for the advice though. It definitely helps in my looking. We aren't moving for awhile but I like to know my way around before I go anywhere.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM

What do you all think of Celtic Property Management (if you've had any experience with them)
I really love all the old buildings they manage and they are all in the areas you've recommended and in my price range!
I'm falling in love with idea of living in a vintage building (I already kinda do in my current apartment)
Any thoughts?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 AM

^I don't have any direct experience with them but they manage the apartment building across the street from me and it appears very well maintained. Their tenants seem high quality as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM

22 posts, read 43,130 times
Hey! I live in lawrence too! But it would be better to live in KC. . . it save alot of driving. Im there most the time anyway. If your actually moving to KCK or KCMO not any of the other little places (shawnee, mission, etc) then KCMO side is better. KCK ain't known for being the safer/ less ugly side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City