U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 AM

704 posts, read 657,550 times

Advertisements

I guess things i like about some of the places I live or places I lived:
Here in dc I live in fairfax, I enjoy the small city near a metro feel. I have all the conveniences right outside my front door. I love areas like Burke VA where there are established neighborhoods, a safe feeling and have some local shops and some scenery. When we go out for a weekend it is usually a road trip anyway but for everyday living I enjoy small eateries, local shops and parks, a lake/river close by would be nice.

When we lived in Texas we chose SW Arlington because of proximity to shopping, dining, entertainment and the lake and parks. We loved going to baseball games and lived just a few miles from the stadiuums. but we loved Grapevine because of the small city feel and quaint downtown. Sort of like a Hallmark Movie

Charlotte was my favorite, we lived in concord and loved it. Close to shopping all little restaurans, a sportscard shop, winery, easy commutes with barely any traffic into downtown, and scenery galore, lakes,the mountains a couple of hours away for hiking and horseback riding,the beach was only 3.5 hours away.

As far as MN, we lived in Rochester and loved it, spent a lot of time each week in Minneapolis and loved the apple valley area, as far as housing, but obviously dinkietown, south map, and DT is great for entertainment, all the sporting events were in one general area, but I loved Rochester because I could get anywhere in less than ten minutes. Obviously the town has grown over the last six years since I've been gone, I go back to visit family and every time I go there I miss it. So if there is anything in the KC area that is like Rochester, Minnesota that would be ideal.

To summarize, I guess we would like easy access to spots, light entertainment(movies dining etc) we will be fine driving to a major event or pro sport or a performance center, but I want. A good town to join adult softball, where my kids can play soccer nd baseball and I don't want to drive more than a few minutes to get to a grocery store. I would like a small city that has its own downtown area. Some place that has some local shops. Are there any baseball card stores in the area? My kids and I collect sports cards and memorabilia so having an outlet to that kind of stuff is great. My kids play sports so a location where they can play is great. We would like a nice bowling alley in the area, adult sports leagues, and parks.

It sounds like I won't have a problem finding most of that in KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,207,945 times
^I'd look first and foremost, if the quaint city feel is important to you, at Lee's Summit, northern Overland Park and Parkville. All three are very accessible to downtown, have cute downtown areas, great schools and are very safe. Any of the suburbs in Kansas that hug the state line would be good too -- places like Mission, Fairway and Prairie Village.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Overland Park is a good choice for raising kids. They can do all of the things you mention. There is a new soccer park at 135th and Antioch-ish. There is 3&2 baseball near Shawnee Mission Park. They can ride bikes and play without being afraid of being snatched (although, of course, these days everyone has to keep a closer eye on their kids because there are so many weirdos). If you have girls, there is JCGAA - Johnson County Girls' Athletic Association. My girls played softball and basketball there. There are several soccer clubs in the area for boys and girls. You'd probably want to check with your neighbors once you move and see which ones their kids play on. Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Chiefs, Nascar track. Concert venues at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri, Starlight theater in Kansas City, Missouri, and Sandstone Ampitheatre (outside concerts) in Kansas City, Kansas. In the summer Shawnee Mission Park has Theater in the Park, fun for a summer evening. Shawnee Mission Parks and Recreation also has a lot of stuff for kids. There is the Kansas City Zoo. The Plaza. Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. Kansas City Philharmonic. Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. The fountains. Lakes - Clinton Lake in Kansas, Hillsdale Lake in Kansas, Lake of the Ozarks just a couple of hours away, Truman Lake, Smithville Lake. Union Station usually has some kind of exhibit going on. Right now I think they have a Titanic exhibit. They also have Science City - great for kids. There are lots of bike trails in Johnson County if you like biking. There are festivals and 4th of July celebrations and art shows. It's a good place to raise kids.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM

227 posts, read 274,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
This is all great response. Thank you all for taking the time to write so much quality. My wife got home tonight very please with her experience there today. She had nothing but good things to say about downtown, how now the people were, how comfy she felt going out an about. It all lines up with what you all say on here. I guess we will find out our options early next week.

For the record, it's not that I don't think I'll like it. I just don't know if I will, that's why I was asking all of this. I don't have enough info to form an opinion and I have only been there a couple of times but didn't get to experience the fun. I did a lot of research today and never realized how many things there are to do there and the comment above about the accessibility to things beinguch better than DC makes a lot of sense. You all are very kind and helpful for taking time out of your day to write to me on this so again thank you.

Are there and traffic concerns there going into downtown KC comparable to Dallas or DC?
What kind of summer and winter weather does KC get? Similar to to DC, Minnesota ?
How wonderful she had such a good experience! I wish your family the best!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I guess things i like about some of the places I live or places I lived:

Here in dc I live in fairfax, I enjoy the small city near a metro feel. I have all the conveniences right outside my front door. I love areas like Burke VA where there are established neighborhoods, a safe feeling and have some local shops and some scenery. When we go out for a weekend it is usually a road trip anyway but for everyday living I enjoy small eateries, local shops and parks, a lake/river close by would be nice.

When we lived in Texas we chose SW Arlington because of proximity to shopping, dining, entertainment and the lake and parks. We loved going to baseball games and lived just a few miles from the stadiuums. but we loved Grapevine because of the small city feel and quaint downtown. Sort of like a Hallmark Movie
Speaking as a resident, Lee's Summit boasts lakes and parks, is located just a few miles from football and baseball stadiums, has a small city feel with a quaint downtown. I'm not a huge shopper, but it does have plenty of options, both of the chain variety and lots of locally owned stuff, shopping and dining wise.

As far as entertainment goes, the community hosts loads of civic events and festivals and free concerts and the like year-round, and puts a lot of time and money into doing so. It's historic, nicely restored downtown, and the civic pride of the downtown council, is actually the reason we decided to buy there, versus KC proper...it's charming.

Their parks district is wide and very, very youth/youth sports and family-focused (youth soccer is huge), and adult sports leagues...also lots of community 5ks and bike rides. There's a winery (haven't been to it, can't vouch for it), bowling alley, skating rink, a large and well-appointed community center with a full gym and aquatic center that's part of the parks district and very affordable. There are also numerous riding stables in the vicinity. You might find it to be a community worth checking out, given your interests.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM

99 posts, read 193,737 times
With kids in the picture I would look at Overland Park. Kansas City schools are in a spot to be able to affect any Jackson County schools until the dust settles there. I don't think the other districts will end up having to take on the kids but nothing is for sure.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
As an educator, I wouldn't worry for three seconds about suburban school districts on either side of the state line. You will hear that every metro district but those in Johnson County are subpar, but that is propaganda, not reality. I work with districts all over the metro, and it is a myth that Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission have the market cornered on educational quality...none the less, you will hear exactly that, from fairly biased sources. My advice is to take it with a grain of salt. There are excellent suburban school districts that aren't in Johnson County, Kansas, just as there are ones that are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or