U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
JMZ JMZ started this thread

24 posts, read 85,091 times

Advertisements

So, I will be moving to Kansas City and I am wondering whether its best to commute or get a place relatively close to work.

The office is on the southern side of 435 near Warnall. I'm familiar with KC, but the specific neighborhoods are another story. Also, Im only starting out entry-level so the cost of living in KCK may be too much right now.

Would it be a pain to live in Northland and commute down south or even live out by Lee's Summit and commute in? I've inquired about a few apartments near this area of work, and one in particular that was recommended comes to mind "Coach House". It seemed okay but some of the ratings were wishy-washy. I did find some nice apartments in Northland that fit my budget, safety, and quietness.

Im not real excited about living "in" the city, so I've been looking else where for a suitable residence.

Is this a bad idea to commute? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Why not just live around 435 and Wornall? The only reason I wouldn't live there is if you had kids and wanted better public schools. That's a pretty suburban area, it's built up, but still suburban and safe yet close to the beltway, the suburbs and the city.

Willow Creek apartments are right there, you might check into those or some of the ones south of 435. While traffic is not bad in KC, the drive from Lee's Summit or the Northland or even the more affordable parts of JoCo (Olathe, Shawnee etc) will be 30 minutes each way. Why do that when you can be within five minutes of your work?

Just a thought.

Oh, and don't get too worked with online reviews of apartments. The best thing to do is drive them them multiple times a day and night and check out the activity, even the cars people drive etc and just walk up and talk to people that live there. That's how I always do it and it works well, even out here.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-29-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM

Hey Thanks KCMO, I have been looking at some apartments near this area. I just wanna make sure that it is a safe neighborhood. Also, Im living out of state so its difficult to get down there to monitor theses areas.

Thanks for the advice!! I really don't want to have to commute long distance, but just want to be safe.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ View Post
So, I will be moving to Kansas City and I am wondering whether its best to commute or get a place relatively close to work.

The office is on the southern side of 435 near Warnall. I'm familiar with KC, but the specific neighborhoods are another story. Also, Im only starting out entry-level so the cost of living in KCK may be too much right now.

Would it be a pain to live in Northland and commute down south or even live out by Lee's Summit and commute in? I've inquired about a few apartments near this area of work, and one in particular that was recommended comes to mind "Coach House". It seemed okay but some of the ratings were wishy-washy. I did find some nice apartments in Northland that fit my budget, safety, and quietness.

Im not real excited about living "in" the city, so I've been looking else where for a suitable residence.

Is this a bad idea to commute? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks All!
The commute from Lee's Summit won't be generally bad most of the way, depending on when you're making it, but the merge from 470 onto 435 is in one of the busier interchanges in KC's freeway system, and it does tend to back up a little in the morning. I go that way, but get off the highway before that. Still, it's not uncommon to see people at a standstill on that ramp in the a.m., and you'll have another couple of miles to go after that merge. The rest of the drive typically moves at a decent clip. You could get off the highway before that back and go the rest of the way to Wornall on city streets, though.

Obviously, it would be easier to live in south KC, proper, than to commute in from any suburb on either side. You've said you don't necessarily want the urban experience, but portions of south KC (especially around 435 and Wornall) don't feel particularly "city," even though they're within city limits. That area is virtually indistinguishable from the suburbs to which it's adjacent. Without knowing where you're coming from, I'm not sure of your reference point, but that part of Kansas City doesn't really scream inner city. The area around 435 and Wornall isn't an area I would worry about, in terms of safety.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks TabulaRasa,
I'm coming from Iowa. I not sure if thats what your asking, but I'd prefer to be in a more quiet and safe neighborhood. If that area is suitable, I will definitely take both of your pieces of advice and check it out a little closer.

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,216,465 times
I think it would be exceedingly silly to commute from the Northland or really even from LS, though that would make somewhat more sense to me. And I agree with those who said that area is safe and inditinguishable from the suburbs in every way, it just happens to be within KC's huge city limits.

If you end up not finding anything suitable right there, you could look in Prairie Village on the Kansas side. There should be apartment complexes available around there.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
South KC is very quiet. It's miles away from the city's center.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM

99 posts, read 193,790 times
Might take a look at Belton. It has a small town feel to it.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,862,752 times
I'd suggest the OP look in the Red Bridge area, specifically between Holmes & Wornall. S. of I-45 & N. of 135th. In the immediate area of the Red Bridge shopping center there are a variety of apartments, condos, duplexes, etc.... . The OP may also find homes or duplex/triplex for rent in the Waldo & Ward Parkway shopping areas for a similar price.

Another consideration, and about an equadistant commute timewise when considering Lee's Summit would be S. on 71 Hwy to Raymore.

I'd suggest staying out of Grandview altogether (midway commute from Raymore to I-415 & Wornall).

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM

266 posts, read 473,173 times
The area around your job is rather meh. I would do either the western areas of Lee's Summit (such as New Longview) or look for something in Prairie Village or Overland Park north of 435. Avoid Grandview, or any of the areas immediately around the Grandview Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or