U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 AM

2,506 posts, read 2,753,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is reflective of a typical public union perspective/contracts. IIRC it was about 2-3 years ago that ALL the KCMO teachers were fired and forced to re-apply so as to thin the herd from underperforming teachers who had tenure/seniority.

I did not know this was done. But, I've been away for a good while. As for "typical public union", if you mean the teachers' union, they did not establish tenure. Teacher tenure has been in effect in Missouri for a long, long while - long before the union came in at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 AM

2,506 posts, read 2,753,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post
I don't think they will get rid of the district and blend into the districts in the area. Just too much money on the line to let go of. The district has had several supers, has fired and hired teachers, has completely revamped class ratios and on and on. Bottom line is they have the same problems. The problem starts in the homes and flows over into the schools. I know that statement will anger some, that's because it's true.

Your statement about the homes doesn't anger me because it is part of the problem. But, beleive me, it isn't all of the problem. Classrooms (home away from home, they like to say) bears a goodly share of the blame.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM

35,838 posts, read 39,658,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Can't solve the problem if you can't get rid of incompetent teachers/board. Couldn't they just make the district go away and then separately the other districts take over - rather than a merger? It doesn't make sense that tenures would cross districts.
In order to avoid hiring poor teachers, you need to do something to attract and retain talented, quality ones...to KCMO, I say good luck with that. There are more attractive options for excellent teaching applicants than a beleaguered school district with a horrendous track record and a student body largely devoid of familial support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City