U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Perhaps I shouldn't have spoken so categorically. Of course there were settlements south of 103d and west of Antioch, but I do remember that intersection as the 'outer limits' of what was commonly considered the metro area in 1980. I would even argue that 95th and Metcalf was the outer limits in 1970. The Dickinson cinema and Metcalf South were "out there." Olathe, Lenexa, and a smattering of southern Overland Park were of course already there by 1980, and I-35 drove a lot of that growth. 119th Street was in parts a dirt road as recently as 1985.

The significant in-fill happened later, starting in the 1980s. Johnson County was strictly a bedroom community when I grew up near the Plaza in the 1970s. Now, it's a wholly functioning polity of its own -- its own jobs, its own economy, its own society.
Yes, I mostly agree with the time frames you mentioned. Our family friend left Kansas City for San Diego after graduating high school in JOCO in 1978 and the southern "developed" edge of JOCO was 103rd street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 168 times
Blue Hills is great! In my opinion it’s the best “bang for the buck” real estate available in KC. Think about it’s geography in reference to the greater KC area, it’s west of 71 but with great access to it, it’s close to 2 major universities (UMKC/Rockhurst) it’s close to The Plaza, I would basically consider it “East Brookside” seeing as how all of Brookside’s amenities feed Blue Hills (shops/restaurants along 63rd) but the houses are literally 1/10th as much, because they’re just a couple blocks east. My first house cost $2,000 at 57th and Euclid, nope I didn’t forget a zero, two thousand. Granted I put another 6-8k into it but for an all in investment of less than 10k this 25 year old mechanic had his first home to call his own. But if you want to skip the rehab that’s fine because fixed up nice examples sell for only 40-60k so you can buy into this neighborhood cheap! And it’s right here, I can get anywhere in less than 8 minutes, downtown, the triangle, anywhere! Highly recommend for young mellinials looking to skip out on a mortgage and live debt free, and The Paseo along that stretch of the 49/63 is gorgeous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City