Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM

50 posts, read 81,531 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I've been here since Saturday night, the 3rd, and I'm already in love with this city; 1000% more than I ever thought I would. I've found the people to be very friendly, arriving into Union Station was beyond words, and I've already been utilizing the many parks for exercise and people watching. And I get to hear the organ at Kaufman Center because my housemate had tickets! Perfect timing for me, so kudos to this fantastic city.

I do have a question regarding changing over my drivers license. I had some trouble understanding the Missouri website, do I need to take a road test and a written test if I have a current out of state license? Or just a written test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,782,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
Greetings,

I've been here since Saturday night, the 3rd, and I'm already in love with this city; 1000% more than I ever thought I would. I've found the people to be very friendly, arriving into Union Station was beyond words, and I've already been utilizing the many parks for exercise and people watching. And I get to hear the organ at Kaufman Center because my housemate had tickets! Perfect timing for me, so kudos to this fantastic city.

I do have a question regarding changing over my drivers license. I had some trouble understanding the Missouri website, do I need to take a road test and a written test if I have a current out of state license? Or just a written test?
Awesome to hear you love KC! You took the train to the city?

You just need to written test I think. Actually, I dinn't know you even had to do that.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,782,014 times
Driver Licensing Checklist

I was right, no test or anything so long as your current licenses is up to date. You only need to take a written or driving test if you are upgrading (to CDL or something). It's just like when we moved to Maryland. You just need to show some additional proof, like a birth certificate and proof of MO residence after you establish that.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 AM

99 posts, read 232,271 times
You take a basic signs test along with eye test. hand them your current dl and your set. Welcome to KC!!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM

6,810 posts, read 11,474,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Driver Licensing Checklist

I was right, no test or anything so long as your current licenses is up to date. You only need to take a written or driving test if you are upgrading (to CDL or something). It's just like when we moved to Maryland. You just need to show some additional proof, like a birth certificate and proof of MO residence after you establish that.
kcmo - I do not believe that link provides the full info - only the ID required - since for existing MO drivers it doesn't mention an eye test and that is required at every renewal.

I re-aquired a MO license in 2010 after living in Oklahoma for 3 years. If there was any sort of "written exam" it must have been just signs or really basic stuff because I don't even remember taking one.

But I do still remember getting a MO license for the first time in 1984 (after moving from Kansas) and nearly flunking the written test because I thought I could just ace it and it turns out there were all sorts of questions about "points." I guess they've eliminated that for people with valid out-of-state licenses. Thankfully.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,035,960 times
I don't know about Missouri, but when I moved from Minnesota back to Kansas, as far as I can recall, I didn't even take a written test. I only took the eye test, and forked over some cash. I had to bring a utility bill to prove my residency.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM

50 posts, read 81,531 times
Thanks for the great info.

KCMO-I did take the train, the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago and then the Southwest Chief to KC. I had a sleeper for the first leg, due to the 45 hour length of the trip, and I gotta tell yall, there's no other way to do it now. It's a sleeper or nothing. But I digress.

I'm trying to think of what I can bring to show I live here, a bank statement maybe? Since I'm stayin with a buddy for the transition and might rent a room from him later, I can't think of anything that would be in my name.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,790,012 times
Here's a city guide along the Main St MAX line while you get situated with driver's license. If you end up working/living along this line, you could get by w/out a car (my brother did it for years), but obviously having a car is convenient in this town.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,551,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
Thanks for the great info.

KCMO-I did take the train, the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago and then the Southwest Chief to KC. I had a sleeper for the first leg, due to the 45 hour length of the trip, and I gotta tell yall, there's no other way to do it now. It's a sleeper or nothing. But I digress.

I'm trying to think of what I can bring to show I live here, a bank statement maybe? Since I'm stayin with a buddy for the transition and might rent a room from him later, I can't think of anything that would be in my name.
A paystub will suffice if you have one of those.

Also the site says "Self certification is allowed if documents are not available." I have no idea what that means.

Or you could just print and sign a month to month lease with your friend.

Last edited by aragx6; 03-08-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City