Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

I'm a musician, and found the community and civic ensembles to be really opening and fun when I moved here. Great, welcoming arts scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
1. Find a place to live in the city. Westport, Downtown, Roanoke/Volker, the Plaza, the River Market or Midtown. Literally 95% of all of KC's nightlife, dining and cultural options are nearby. I moved here post-college, lived in Rosedale (which abuts Roanoke/Volker) and totally fell in love with the vibe of KC's unpretentiously cool and charming urban core. Every single young person I know who moved to KC's suburbs has disliked it or complained ever since about being bored.

2. Live within walking distance of a good bus line. Get a MAX map and draw a circle as many blocks as you don't mind walking around each stop, then look for places you like in those circles. That will allow you to get around without a car when you want or need to, plus that corridor has the highest cab traffic, and the highest concentration of bars, restaurants, music venues, events, festivals, etc. Which is good for meeting people.

3. Depending upon your interests, Young Friends of Art is a great way to meet people who like art, Drinking Liberally is a great way to meet politically progressive people, church is a good way to meet people if you are religious, there's pickup soccer and kick-ball leagues, a sizeable if insular biking community, lots of hunting/fishing/boating opportunities and clubs, etc. But the number 1 way people meet in KC (and almost everywhere) is at work, so make the most of that opportunity. Its cheap to live here, especially in the city, so people do a lot of dining and drinking out, and I honestly still think the best way to meet people is to invite them to a meal or a drink.

Don't worry too much. I found it very easy to meet and make friends here, people are really open, even the scenesters, who are mostly just the cool kid-diaspora from Joplin and Salina and whatnot. Speaking of scenes, when I was single, I found the "dating scene" lively, the women amiable, approachable and easy-going, and decidedly NOT hung-up on superficial stuff, despite all reports to the contrary.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
2. Live within walking distance of a good bus line. Get a MAX map and draw a circle as many blocks as you don't mind walking around each stop, then look for places you like in those circles. That will allow you to get around without a car when you want or need to, plus that corridor has the highest cab traffic, and the highest concentration of bars, restaurants, music venues, events, festivals, etc. Which is good for meeting people.
Here's a city guide on the Main St. MAX line...

Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
I am in the same scenario as you. 22,single and new to KC. I joined sites like meetup ,kansascity young professional and couchsurfing but no results yet. I joined kansas city social sports too, Ive been playing with them every Sunday now. Just let me know if you wanna meet up or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: