Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellymom2two View Post
I was just made aware of the "Northland" area today! Excited! Looks like we will have more options that fit what we are looking for. Ok, so the Northland area consists of Liberty, Park Hill, Gladstone? Am I missing anything? We are looking for a home 0-15 yrs old, 4 bedrooms, nice yard (fenced would be great), deck, more open concept home as we love to entertain! 165k and under. Good school district is the most important.
As Okie states above, most of the Northland is actually Kansas City, MO which is very confusing to people not familiar with KC geography.

So while Liberty, Gladstone etc are suburbs. Kansas City, MO north of the river (even though it's part of the city limits of KC, MO) is suburban in nature, has good schools etc.

I bring this up because about 2/3 of the population of the Northland is actually in the city of kc. I probably just confused you more.

This thread has some maps and stats of area schools that might help you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...districts.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Look in the Liberty, North Kansas City and Park Hill School Districts. Try Kearney and Platte County if you would like to live further out.

Always happy to get a potential new resident for KC North!!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 AM

8 posts, read 17,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Look in the Liberty, North Kansas City and Park Hill School Districts. Try Kearney and Platte County if you would like to live further out.

Always happy to get a potential new resident for KC North!!

We have gotten conflicting information on North KC school district.....which is frustrating. One realtor says it is a good district while the other ones says its terrible and not even to consider it! Park Hills school look great!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
There is certainly some variation in test scores for North Kansas City, so you should certainly do your due diligence to determine the area that's the best fit for you, but if that realtor told you the district is terrible as a whole I very much question his/her either a) knowledge of the area or b) ethics.

Schools in North Kansas City 74 School District - Kansas City, MO | GreatSchools

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
So now the NKC school district is terrible too? Wow. Might want to pass that info along to the 10-20k residents that have moved into the district in the last ten years.

And agents are not supposed to say stuff like that, they can go to jail for that and because there are some great areas in that district (unless the entire KC area really is just going down the tubes), it sounds like your realtor is playing you and has you wrapped wrapped around their finger.

Have you had a chance to drive around any of these areas and speak to actual residents or walk into any of the schools?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I think it depends on the area. Southern part of the district is certainly more economically disadvantaged than the northern part - look at stats North Kansas City HS vs Staley.

Of course there ARE pockets of affluence in NKC attendance area - Briarcliff West, Claymont, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM

99 posts, read 232,840 times
Park Hill has a great school. We know several that are very happy there. I think NKC schools as a whole are on par with the average public school system. Please don't think the whole KC area is falling apart as it is not. Just like every city/metro area it has areas that are on the decline and areas that aren't. Park Hill has a real nice little downtown area, you will love it. If I wasn't moving to the country and wanted to stay in the KC on the MO side Park Hill is where I would go. If I opened it up to all KC I would look at the south part of Overland Park.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^Do you mean Parkville? If so, I agree! It's a very cute downtown and I've also heard good things about the schools (and commute to downtown is super easy)

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
As an educational professional who works with a variety of metro school districts (but works for none of them), I would take much with a grain of salt when people who have no firsthand experience with a district start talking about a given district's quality.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 PM

99 posts, read 232,840 times
Yep Parkville. Park Hill is the name of my buddies kids school we have been looking at in Denver. TabulaRasa makes a great point! I think if someone doesn't have some personal expierence with a school I wouldn't put much stock in that single persons view to the point of discounting the district entirely.
I have lived on the Kansas and now Missouri side of KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City