Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 PM

50 posts, read 81,865 times

Advertisements

Tonight, I have the privilege of entering this amazing performance hall for the first time. I will let you all know my impressions of the venue in general and the organ specifically. But so far my tour of the outside was breathtaking. What a fine addition this facility is to Kansas City's arts/entertainment community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
well?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Fantastic. But I'm looking forward to experiencing the facility with the entire symphony. But the structure is quite something to take in and the views are incredible.

After the concert we had been hoping to take in the city from a rooftop restaurant, but found out one of the nearby hotels closed down the revolving restaurant and turned it into an "executive club". Can anybody confirm this for future plans?

We ended up dining at the cheesecake factory in the plaza . A place I enjoy, but not after this type of activity, quiet and subdued would have been more to our liking.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
Fantastic. But I'm looking forward to experiencing the facility with the entire symphony. But the structure is quite something to take in and the views are incredible.

After the concert we had been hoping to take in the city from a rooftop restaurant, but found out one of the nearby hotels closed down the revolving restaurant and turned it into an "executive club". Can anybody confirm this for future plans?

We ended up dining at the cheesecake factory in the plaza . A place I enjoy, but not after this type of activity, quiet and subdued would have been more to our liking.
Yea, I still find it mind boggling that not only did Crown Center downgrade the Hyatt to a Sheraton (and that IS a downgrade, I have stayed in enough hotels to know), they closed one of the best roof top restaurants in the country and blamed it on "people don't eat at hotel restaurants anymore", which is pretty much BS.

It's called turning a once proud hotel property into a giant budget hotel.

Sheratons generally suck compared to Hyatts and I'm sure KC will eventually find that out.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine and it all came back to me a few weeks ago while in Atlanta at a rooftop restaurant at their Westin. You don't turn spots like that into private lounges. Tourist's and locals alike really enjoyed Skies. The food was decent enough, but the views and atmosphere was worth the price of the food and drinks.

It's time for Crown Center to upgrade the property (probably needs 50 million plus worth of improvements) and bring it back to a first class hotel.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM

I'm with you, I learned long ago never to scrimp on hotels. Sheratons are nice but never my first choice, Westin, Hyatt (any brand), and Hilton will always beat it out if there's vacancies.

I've never dined at the top of the Westin in Atlanta, but I've been up there. Along with what was once called the Pintacle in Chicago and of course, the Space Needle in Seattle, and there's something special about having at least one of these in any city.

I can understand if KC had more than one, but from what I've been told, we are now without a rooftop facility.

I have not yet been inside Crown Center or any of the area hotels, but I will get to them soon I'm sure. Nothing is sadder than a hotel complex that is in the process of "fading", so I hope that's not the case.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
I'm with you, I learned long ago never to scrimp on hotels. Sheratons are nice but never my first choice, Westin, Hyatt (any brand), and Hilton will always beat it out if there's vacancies.

I've never dined at the top of the Westin in Atlanta, but I've been up there. Along with what was once called the Pintacle in Chicago and of course, the Space Needle in Seattle, and there's something special about having at least one of these "in" any city.

I can understand if KC had more than one, but from what I've been told, we are now without a rooftop facility.

I have not yet been inside Crown Center or any of the area hotels, but I will get to them soon I'm sure. Nothing is sadder than a hotel complex that is in the process of "fading", so I hope that's not the case.
Compared to most large cities, the hotel scene across all of urban kcmo is "fading". There are a few exceptions such as the Downtown Hilton and Raphael on the Plaza , but KC desperately needs to upgrade existing hotels and build some modern new structures with some fresh flags like Hyatt Grand, Omni, W or Four Seasons. Most (or all) of KC's new hotel rooms are going up on freeways in the suburbs. The city really needs more rooms in the city. I have a feeling that the lack of quality urban hotel rooms will be the only real complaint about KC for the all star game (well that and lack of transit, especially to the ballpark). But KC should overcome that by wowing visitors with everything else, mostly because people don't expect a real city when when think of "Kansas".....city.

KC also recently closed Benton's Steakhouse on the Westin. It didn't revolve, but had awesome views and pretty good food. There was also once a restaurant on top of the Crown Plaza in downtown. You are right, every city should have one and most do. KC is big enough to support a rooftop restaurant along with those in the hoods. They do have a "touristy" feel, but they still serve a niche.

Go check out the American. It has some nice views, but it's more about the food and it's pricey (for KC) and it doesn't have a lounge as far as I know like Skies did where you can just go up at 11pm and have a drink while taking in the skyline.

Also, Intercontinental on the plaza has a place with a view of the plaza, but I have not seen it since that property was a Ritz Carlton. I know you can sometimes get great brunches and cheap lunch specials at places like that though.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-13-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I'm going to the opera this weekend, which will be my first time to a performance at the Performing Arts Center. I've toured it, but not been to a performance yet...excited!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I'm a big time Starwood lover (their rewards program is unbelieveably better than just about anyone else's) -- so I'll definitely choose a Westin over a Sheraton, but I'm actually a pretty big Sheraton fan and will still choose it over most other brands. They are all non-smoking and have the heavenly beds that Westins have -- as to their individual upkeep I've found that has far more to do with the ownership group.

That said, closing three of the four nice dining options in Crown Center was moronic, and I agree that Crown Center as a whole is definitely ready for a refurb.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm going to the opera this weekend, which will be my first time to a performance at the Performing Arts Center. I've toured it, but not been to a performance yet...excited!
I went to several at the Lyric over the years. Have a good time and tell us how it was. I like opera (which seems to surprise a lot of folks)

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Yep, I've been to my share of operas, but I've never seen this one, and I've never seen anything at the Kauffman Center! The tix were one of my Christmas presents from my boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City