Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I don't find Johnson county particularly pretty, though I'd take farmland over suburban development any day and I'd take just about any natural landscape over even a cityscape. In fact, as you know, I find JoCo's development appalling. But barren it is not. But I don't think the scrub brush that's overrun most of the undeveloped areas in Missouri and a lot of East Kansas is pretty either.

With regards to the extent of Missouri's pre-settlement prairie, here's a pretty good resource:
Agreed with that. The rolling hills are pretty in much of Southwestern Missouri but a lot of the trees and vegetation are kind gnarly (and I mean that in the misshapen old-man hands kind of way, not "gnarly, duuude"). I have a friend who lives on some land outside of Springfield and that's exactly how I feel about it. Still love going down there for some camping, music and partying though

Last edited by aragx6; 03-30-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
This house: Great location, great price, great schools - 8812 LAMAR Avenue, Overland Park, KS 66204 | Listing Information | Kansas City Homes for Sale with Reece & Nichols.

P.S. - I have nothing to do with this house in any way, just saw it and know the area in $200,000 to $225,000 and Overland Park in the search parameters for and the schools and thought it was a great find. I was surprised when I plugged Reece & Nichols that it did show quite a few houses in that price range, some even in southern (newer) Overland Park. But in the newer areas I would tend to question the quality of the construction of houses in that price range; you'd just have to check them and see what you think. I'd put in the same price range with Lenexa, too, and see what comes up.
I agree that is a nice house, but it is also right on Lamar, a pretty significant street, traffic wise. If it were a on a less busy street it would probably be priced considerably higher.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I agree that is a nice house, but it is also right on Lamar, a pretty significant street, traffic wise. If it were a on a less busy street it would probably be priced considerably higher.
Thanks for pointing that out so I didn't have to.

As to the OP's question, I'd likely vote for "none of the above" and suggest if schools and a sense of community are important to look to Prairie Village, Old Leawood. You may get less square footage in a home for the price range indicated but the quality of living "closer in" with walkability to shops, mature trees, neighborhood parks with playgrounds, top rated schools (excellent elementary schools), I think is worth the trade.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Actually, that section of Lamar isn't very busy at all and the 25 mph speed limit is strictly enforced. I have a friend who lives within a few houses of that house. I don't know what will happen in the future (Nall didn't used to be busy either), but from what I see there's not a lot of traffic on Lamar between 87th and 91st, and I drive either down 87th past Lamar or down Lamar between 87th and 91st practically every day. Always very little traffic. And there is nothing built directly behind the houses, as in a neighbor's house backing up to yours. There's an apartment complex, but it's not right at the back of the houses. In fact, I think there's a church in between.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thanks for pointing that out so I didn't have to.

As to the OP's question, I'd likely vote for "none of the above" and suggest if schools and a sense of community are important to look to Prairie Village, Old Leawood. You may get less square footage in a home for the price range indicated but the quality of living "closer in" with walkability to shops, mature trees, neighborhood parks with playgrounds, top rated schools (excellent elementary schools), I think is worth the trade.
That house on Lamar goes to the same schools as most of Prairie Village (great schools!) and has the same characteristics you are talking about. As I said, I have a friend who lives within a few houses of that house. I live in Prairie Village but I absolutely would not hesitate to live in that house. It's a great area. And newer than the houses in that price range than you will find in Prairie Village. And as I said, Lamar between 87th and 91st is not very busy.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That house on Lamar goes to the same schools as most of Prairie Village (great schools!) and has the same characteristics you are talking about. As I said, I have a friend who lives within a few houses of that house. I live in Prairie Village but I absolutely would not hesitate to live in that house. It's a great area. And newer than the houses in that price range than you will find in Prairie Village. And as I said, Lamar between 87th and 91st is not very busy.
Why do you keep pushing this specific house?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^Eh, I post listings for people all the time. I don't think there's any indication of ulterior motives.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why do you keep pushing this specific house?
Uhhh....because it looks like it fits everything the OP was looking for. As I said, I don't own the house, I don't know who owns the house, I don't even know who has it listed. I just thought it fit what the OP was looking for, and it is a great house in a great area. You mentioned Prairie Village. I live in Prairie Village. The OP is not going to get a house that new and that nice in Prairie Village for that price. But the house is near Prairie Village and the schools would be the same as most of Prairie Village, and grade school is wonderful, middle school okay, high school the best in the Shawnee Mission district. Thought the OP might want to take a look at it. That's all. Is that okay with you?

Last edited by luzianne; 04-07-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City