Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 AM

267 posts, read 618,364 times

Advertisements

FTR, I grew up in Lenexa. Mostly yuppies here. I know in Olathe (where I live now), there are quite a few rednecks, with yuppies on the outer/newer parts. Most of JOCO blends in better with the Plaza, the semi-urban upscale vibe. Suburban Missouri seems very redneck overall. NKC and Independence/Sugar Creek west of 470 are by far the worst.

KCK inside 435 seems like a collection of small towns that haven't changed since the late 1800s. Like Turner, Argentine, Wyandotte (white/mexican/black dominated, respectively) all seem to have their own character. Kind of interesting and KCK seems like a world of its own. Hard to really categorize as urban, suburban, or rural. Like the sprawl or not, the Legends and surrounding has really helped the city/county. At the very least it seems to be funding much needed road improvements in other parts of the city.

I will say that KC area as a whole has a ton of blue collar people working white collar jobs, as someone else said. Especially since KC has a ton of tech jobs and the like. I say that as well noticing that I wouldn't exactly consider wearing tons of Chiefs gear everywhere you go, driving a Ford F350, drinking Natty Light, listening to Jason Aldean and KC radio in general, and thinking that Orange Chicken from Panda is real Chinese food, to be even remotely white collar.

And also, I don't really hate on Missouri side that much, except for when someone at work says stupid things to me about Kansas being more backward or otherwise giving me crap for living and growing up in JoCo. Oh and when I get behind a MO driver (Wyco too, however, as they do the same things) doing 55 in the left lane when there is a mile of pavement in front of them, and no way to really pass them as every other lane is doing the same speed side by side. Normally I don't care, as I will visit friends and party really in any part of the metro no problem. 30-45 minutes is not a long drive for me (though holy crap, people around here scoff at that!) as 30 minutes has pretty much always been my commute time, except for my hour long Lawrence commute for a semester.

As for Dallas comparisons, although I spent my time in the cone starting from downtown and between 35E and 75, seemed very yuppie overall. I have not been on the Fort Worth side, though I imagine there are a lot of rednecks there. Btw Mission Hills == Park Cities. There, people will buy an old house on a tiny lot for $1.5mil+, tear it down, and plop a giant mansion on that tiny lot. Overland Park == Plano, and Plano has a well defined old side (east) and new side (west) that looks like Blue Valley, only with brick fronts instead of the typical stucco fronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Believe it or not, to be upper-middle class and wealthy doesn't necessarily mean white collar, or even a college educated. I have seen "white-collar rednecks" though and while I don't recall knowing of any in KC, there are plenty in Tulsa. And I hear Texas, at least north Texas, is the same way. This is part of what I meant when I talked about a cultural divide in KC. The city people are city people and country people are country people. KC is like an island to itself. Whereas a place like Tulsa - which I have experience with, but I'm sure there are others - rural and city types are much more integrated and you'll find a guy working in marketing with an interest in hunting. (I spent a lot of time in Oklahoma on a deer farm and on a large hunting ranch.) KC is just not like that. I think it's more a north VS south thing than anything. I like the southern way a bit better. The north claims to be more tolerant and liberal, but a rural type isn't as tolerated and may be chastized if he makes it up in the white-collar ranks in the north. Not cool.
I don't know if I agree that it is a north vs south divide. I think it depends on the state and the total percentage of the population that lives in rural or micropolitan counties. You will find plenty of white collar hillbilly types in places like Maine or New Hampshire. Why? Most people live in very small towns and drive longer distances to work in nearby cities. However, they prefer engaging in activities like hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, etc.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Overland Park == Plano, and Plano has a well defined old side (east) and new side (west) that looks like Blue Valley, only with brick fronts instead of the typical stucco fronts.
That brings up the age old question... Why do houses in DFW and other areas of TX have brick facade exteriors while those in JOCO have stucco exteriors? It makes absolutely no sense to me. The climate of KC is in no way conducive for stuccoed exteriors with the extreme temperature changes and freeze/thaw cycles to go along with high precipitation amounts.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
From one of the most vocal naysayers about KCMO (the city not to be confused with the poster).

OP, that the very name of the city appears to bother you makes it difficult to take your thread seriously.
You put me down for my comment, then go on to vindicate my comment with your second paragraph, saying exactly what I was saying.

And by the way, when I talk about KCMO, I point out EXACTLY what I don't like about it. It's not some things like KCMO supporters say against Kansas, like "it's in Kansas" or "it has Kansas in the name." I give legitimate reasons, and I am not the only one to hold those views. I don't hate Missouri just because it's Missouri like some people who hate Kansas/Johnson County do.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM

196 posts, read 394,901 times
The reason for posting this thread (about having pride in KC) is because I'm excited for this year's All-Star Game at Kauffman Stadium! There's going to be a lot of people coming in from bigger cities, and they'll have plenty to do and see here, hopefully.

I only feel bad for them dealing with the airport terminals.

I'm well aware that the Royals suck (and they'll probably suck once again this year), but at least I feel fortunate that our city has an MLB team...one that actually won the World Series once (don't give me any of that "bad call" rhetoric). And let's face it, Royals games are fun to attend and still have a loyal fanbase regardless (especially my brother who is a baseball guru).

Summer 2012 will be KC's moment to shine in the national spotlight, and I just really hope all goes well. I just gotta have pride somehow. The question is, what do I need to keep in mind when being proud of my city (aside from the more tangible things I mentioned in the OP)? Other cities pride themselves for having decent, tolerant, and hard-working people, but what about us?

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 04-05-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
and also, i don't really hate on missouri side that much, except for when someone at work says stupid things to me about kansas being more backward or otherwise giving me crap for living and growing up in joco. oh and when i get behind a mo driver (wyco too, however, as they do the same things) doing 55 in the left lane when there is a mile of pavement in front of them, and no way to really pass them as every other lane is doing the same speed side by side. Normally i don't care, as i will visit friends and party really in any part of the metro no problem. 30-45 minutes is not a long drive for me (though holy crap, people around here scoff at that!) as 30 minutes has pretty much always been my commute time, except for my hour long lawrence commute for a semester.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
^I travel everywhere and see this in nearly every city (just witnessed this in STL and Tampa recently). Many peeves here are not warranted. Some are, but most are not. A few continue to post things like that as if somehow unique to KC. They see something that annoys them and then assume KC is the only city to have that attribute. Is it really worth complaining about?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM

196 posts, read 394,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
^I travel everywhere and see this in nearly every city (just witnessed this in STL and Tampa recently). Many peeves here are not warranted. Some are, but most are not. A few continue to post things like that as if somehow unique to KC. They see something that annoys them and then assume KC is the only city to have that attribute. Is it really worth complaining about?
Tell me about it

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
It's as simple as a single old saying - The grass is always greener on the other side.

I dont hear people complain about KC much and what I hear them ***** about is justified. It is hard to get people to accept change but that has improved as of late. The building of the Sprint Center and P&L, the building of the Kauffman Center, and other votes that have passed the last few years.

The only real complaints I have about KC are the weather which no one can change. I am much better built for a better climate that suites my interest. I am a much happier person from May to September than I am other parts of the year with this last winter being an exception. Last weekend, I was on a boat with shorts, no shirt, drinking a beer that was getting warm too fast, and fishing. If we could get that weather by March every year, I would be much happier living here. The other complaint is people not being as accepting to change. I wish people would be more accepting of things like light rail. We did pass a plan but our wonderful city government reversed the vote which was ridiculous. No, it wasnt the best plan but at this point, we just need to start laying it down and let it build over time. It has to start somewhere.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I think Texans in general are more humble than people in Kansas City
Isn't this whole thread about how humble Kansas Citians are?

And I can't think of a single group of Americans less humble (and in my opinion with less justification) than Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City