U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM

167 posts, read 132,763 times

Advertisements

It's a generic question I could ask myself and anyone else, but this mainly applies to Kansas City, which is where I live and am a native. Keep in mind I don't dislike KC, I love it very much. It's a city I really care about, but keep reading:

We seem to have plenty of things to be proud of (i.e.: the plaza, the p&l district, museums, architecture, bbq, low cost of living, good suburban schools, etc). But it seems like on this website (and other social media outlets like it) people are incredibly short-sighted of all those things and instead overemphasize the negative aspects about our city.

I'm well aware of KC's problems, but are they really as bad as they say? KC's negative aspects seem like a cause for concern for a lot of people. The ones that come to a lot of people's minds are (and I quote): the lack of a dating scene, obese people, the insular atmosphere, bad drivers, simple-mindedness, urban sprawl, crime, lack of true diversity, lack of established educational institutions, potholes in the streets, awkward social scene, overtly suburbanized culture, too many churchy types, bad airport terminals, sub-par zoo, pro sports teams that lose all the time, and most importantly, the state line issues involving taxes.

It's bad enough that our city has the word "Kansas" in its name, but with all these problems, it seems like its hard for most people to view KC in a positive or exciting light. This probably explains why there's virtually no civic pride here.

Whether or not these problems are that bad, I still have to wonder...what exactly does it take to have pride in KC despite all these problems? Are there more cons than there are pros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM

7,123 posts, read 4,997,337 times
Sounds just like so many other cities. Just ignore the naysayers. I will say that Kansas City is cleaner than many other cities i have been too.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,716,268 times
It's this website. Not sure why it has so many negative people, compared to KC Rag, which has much more more level headed discourse and far more users.

It's not just the KC forum on this site, it's most city forums. When someone loses their job or has a bad experience of some sort, some will take it out on the city they live/lived in. But it's pretty amazing what some people get peeved about on this site. What's also odd is many will point out some negative attribute as if KC is the only city to have that attribute, when in most cases, KC is usually in the middle compared to other cities.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM

8,685 posts, read 7,220,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
It's bad enough that our city has the word "Kansas" in its name
I was with you up until this sentence. Part of the problem is people with attitudes like this against anything Kansas.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was with you up until this sentence. Part of the problem is people with attitudes like this against anything Kansas.
I'm not saying that that's what I think; that's just how a lot of others tend to think. In all fairness, Kansas' negative reputation is overrated. And that's saying a lot coming from me, an MU fan (I'm okay with Kansas the state, but not the jayhawks...LOL).

Perhaps Mississippi has a worse reputation than Kansas? I dunno.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM

252 posts, read 230,597 times
I have a feeling this thread was created in response to my thread bitching about the area. Let me say that lately I've been feeling a bit differently about things here. I was actually going to create a new more positive thread but I think you address this pretty well here.

While I enjoy the DFW area very much, it doesn't matter because I am here, now. Whether that changes in the far future isn't important, I need to try to adapt to this, especially in response to other things that have happened to me lately with people. I will address every negative you bring up (most of which are true) and how I'm trying to handle it lately.

Dating scene: I'm getting creative here. New avenues, no shame in going online, hitting up new bars, considering other activities as well. Not really taking other people's rejection as personally, as people here are weird, but I know that so who cares.

Obese people: Ignore them and move on. I only really hang out with decent looking people to begin with.

Insular atmosphere: Not wasting my time with crap people. There's a lot of crap here but a few who are decent enough. I don't talk to anyone from my high school and see no real reason to, and I work on the same floor as at least three of them. They were boring then, they still seem boring now. I found it odd though that the "popular" girls that pretty much ignored me during high school, were the only women that would talk to me once college hit.

Simple mindedness: I actually haven't found a good way to address this. I bring up new ideas, they always get shot down. Not sure here. Nonetheless there are still a few open minded people, though they are often weird in bad ways too.

Bad drivers: Don't be afraid to use the horn, in particular when they won't go at a green light. Have a lawyer ready if they call road rage as a result, as they will take it personally. The crap driving isn't really a function of rush hour, I sometimes find traffic moves better at rush hour, as I hit fewer stoplights. Really one driver here can mess things up badly. But how to handle this? Take residential streets when it's bad. You're at least guaranteed 25-30 there, whereas on 95th or whatever you will hit a ton of stoplights. Get creative as well, like rather than waiting to turn left on a main street, I will turn right and then U-turn at a non-signaled intersection. Ward Parkway is ideal for this, as are any of JoCo's major divided boulevards. Much faster that way.

The word "Kansas": who cares? If people from the coasts bring up the stereotypes, block them. Those same people hate Texas, which is way more cosmopolitan than most places, yet still has the redneck stereotype with a lot of left-coasters. I have never actually run into this, they recognize we are a real place with non-farm jobs.

Urban sprawl: get a car. Even if it is a cheap crap used car with state-minimum. Not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be (a brand new car will be though). And/or live in Westport, rated third most walkable place in the US. The hipster at work from Bloomington lives there.

Crime: Don't live, work, shop, or drive through the box that is east of Oak, west of 435, south of the MO river, north of 435. Could possibly extend that to west/north of 470, but whatever. Problem solved.

Lack of true diversity: Are you kidding me? We may not be as diverse as Dallas (the races actually do get along there, it was amazing to see), but JoCo has a ton of Chinese and Indians. Many parts of the metro have a serious Mexican community. Blacks? Work for any decent sized firm and you will find successful, non-stereotypical black people. There are two on my team at work, one of which is on a month long vacation all around the world, and speaks fifteen different languages. If you want diverse friends, go find them, I promise, they're not hard to find. Granted, if you're attending KU, your view might be a bit skewed. I always tell people that KU has a great diversity of white people.

Potholes: Drive in KCMO as little as possible, or drive a beater so that you don't really care about the damage. I am wishing I had a less flashy car, as it's getting beaten up like crazy by random things. KCMO driving is a mess anyways, with red light cameras, lack of snow removal, lack of left turn lanes and signals, etc. Suburban living has its advantages, too.

E-tax: Don't live or work in KCMO. Sometimes easier said than done, as I work in KCMO.

State line fragmentation issues: Realize that each part of the metro has its own thing going for it. Let Overland Park be the capital of business. Let Lee's Summit and Liberty be the place to go for cheap breeder-barns. And of course, party in the urban core (RM to Waldo), which actually does now have decent places to go to eat and get wasted.

Church issues: Either, avoid religious people and hang out all the time in urban areas (including inner JoCo), or, realize that not all people who attend church are created equal. Some churches are more open minded about things than others, and not all who attend there will hold their views. Younger people in particular will be more open minded about certain things that offend liberals. Church offers great opportunities for networking as well, especially if you go to one of the bigger ones (CoR in Blue Valley, anyone?).

The nightmare called KCI: Are there any airlines that fly out of New Century?

Bad pro sports teams: I think it's a given that our pro sports suck. Abstract this away and focus on our college teams that actually can win. I don't watch sports but I do appreciate KU (well, I didn't yesterday lol).

Suburbs: They are there for a reason, in every metro area. KC may be overall less dense than a lot of places (mostly because of giant hills, forest, rivers, farms and former farms), it's not like other places don't have this issue. Much of KC is at a workable density, just not walkable. Be glad that we don't have NYC style congestion, or LA style $700k shoebox-sized homes (unless you choose to buy in Brookside). If however, you're talking about transit, well that is a work in progress (not really). The KC area isn't large enough to justify any sort of light rail. We do have good bus options, however, including in JoCo.

Colleges: True, UMKC isn't much of a real college. They are trying a little bit to improve things, mostly with the new union and new dorms. Enrollment is increasing quite a bit. KU is only 30 miles away, 40-60 minutes away depending on Lawrence traffic.

The Zoo: Animals in a cage aren't really that exciting. I do enjoy the awesome creek-based trails in Overland Park to enjoy nature.

Awkward social scene: Find new people.

Obviously KC needs improvement, and other cities have better things (DFW my favorite), but if you're here, may as well adapt. If anything, living here and then visiting other places has pretty much forced me to open my mind and realize that KC has an awkward vibe unlike anywhere else in the US. I just need to adapt and think unlike most people, and look to new ways to make more friends.

kcmo will likely make this a big state line issue, but who cares if OP or Lenexa is taking away a few companies (not even as many as we're made to think)? KC itself is making itself arts capital of the world pretty much, even if it is completely hostile to families.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
It's this website. Not sure why it has so many negative people, compared to KC Rag, which has much more more level headed discourse and far more users.

It's not just the KC forum on this site, it's most city forums. When someone loses their job or has a bad experience of some sort, some will take it out on the city they live/lived in. But it's pretty amazing what some people get peeved about on this site. What's also odd is many will point out some negative attribute as if KC is the only city to have that attribute, when in most cases, KC is usually in the middle compared to other cities.
The Internet: A nitpickers paradise

But seriously, there is some truth to a lot of the negative things people say about KC. But the question is always, is it as bad as people say? Sometimes we just don't know...it's hard for us to put ourselves into the shoes of a transplant from a larger more urbane city.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
I have a feeling this thread was created in response to my thread bitching about the area. Let me say that lately I've been feeling a bit differently about things here. I was actually going to create a new more positive thread but I think you address this pretty well here.

While I enjoy the DFW area very much, it doesn't matter because I am here, now. Whether that changes in the far future isn't important, I need to try to adapt to this, especially in response to other things that have happened to me lately with people. I will address every negative you bring up (most of which are true) and how I'm trying to handle it lately.

Dating scene: I'm getting creative here. New avenues, no shame in going online, hitting up new bars, considering other activities as well. Not really taking other people's rejection as personally, as people here are weird, but I know that so who cares.

Obese people: Ignore them and move on. I only really hang out with decent looking people to begin with.

Insular atmosphere: Not wasting my time with crap people. There's a lot of crap here but a few who are decent enough. I don't talk to anyone from my high school and see no real reason to, and I work on the same floor as at least three of them. They were boring then, they still seem boring now. I found it odd though that the "popular" girls that pretty much ignored me during high school, were the only women that would talk to me once college hit.

Simple mindedness: I actually haven't found a good way to address this. I bring up new ideas, they always get shot down. Not sure here. Nonetheless there are still a few open minded people, though they are often weird in bad ways too.

Bad drivers: Don't be afraid to use the horn, in particular when they won't go at a green light. Have a lawyer ready if they call road rage as a result, as they will take it personally. The crap driving isn't really a function of rush hour, I sometimes find traffic moves better at rush hour, as I hit fewer stoplights. Really one driver here can mess things up badly. But how to handle this? Take residential streets when it's bad. You're at least guaranteed 25-30 there, whereas on 95th or whatever you will hit a ton of stoplights. Get creative as well, like rather than waiting to turn left on a main street, I will turn right and then U-turn at a non-signaled intersection. Ward Parkway is ideal for this, as are any of JoCo's major divided boulevards. Much faster that way.

The word "Kansas": who cares? If people from the coasts bring up the stereotypes, block them. Those same people hate Texas, which is way more cosmopolitan than most places, yet still has the redneck stereotype with a lot of left-coasters. I have never actually run into this, they recognize we are a real place with non-farm jobs.

Urban sprawl: get a car. Even if it is a cheap crap used car with state-minimum. Not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be (a brand new car will be though). And/or live in Westport, rated third most walkable place in the US. The hipster at work from Bloomington lives there.

Crime: Don't live, work, shop, or drive through the box that is east of Oak, west of 435, south of the MO river, north of 435. Could possibly extend that to west/north of 470, but whatever. Problem solved.

Lack of true diversity: Are you kidding me? We may not be as diverse as Dallas (the races actually do get along there, it was amazing to see), but JoCo has a ton of Chinese and Indians. Many parts of the metro have a serious Mexican community. Blacks? Work for any decent sized firm and you will find successful, non-stereotypical black people. There are two on my team at work, one of which is on a month long vacation all around the world, and speaks fifteen different languages. If you want diverse friends, go find them, I promise, they're not hard to find. Granted, if you're attending KU, your view might be a bit skewed. I always tell people that KU has a great diversity of white people.

Potholes: Drive in KCMO as little as possible, or drive a beater so that you don't really care about the damage. I am wishing I had a less flashy car, as it's getting beaten up like crazy by random things. KCMO driving is a mess anyways, with red light cameras, lack of snow removal, lack of left turn lanes and signals, etc. Suburban living has its advantages, too.

E-tax: Don't live or work in KCMO. Sometimes easier said than done, as I work in KCMO.

State line fragmentation issues: Realize that each part of the metro has its own thing going for it. Let Overland Park be the capital of business. Let Lee's Summit and Liberty be the place to go for cheap breeder-barns. And of course, party in the urban core (RM to Waldo), which actually does now have decent places to go to eat and get wasted.

Church issues: Either, avoid religious people and hang out all the time in urban areas (including inner JoCo), or, realize that not all people who attend church are created equal. Some churches are more open minded about things than others, and not all who attend there will hold their views. Younger people in particular will be more open minded about certain things that offend liberals. Church offers great opportunities for networking as well, especially if you go to one of the bigger ones (CoR in Blue Valley, anyone?).

The nightmare called KCI: Are there any airlines that fly out of New Century?

Bad pro sports teams: I think it's a given that our pro sports suck. Abstract this away and focus on our college teams that actually can win. I don't watch sports but I do appreciate KU (well, I didn't yesterday lol).

Suburbs: They are there for a reason, in every metro area. KC may be overall less dense than a lot of places (mostly because of giant hills, forest, rivers, farms and former farms), it's not like other places don't have this issue. Much of KC is at a workable density, just not walkable. Be glad that we don't have NYC style congestion, or LA style $700k shoebox-sized homes (unless you choose to buy in Brookside). If however, you're talking about transit, well that is a work in progress (not really). The KC area isn't large enough to justify any sort of light rail. We do have good bus options, however, including in JoCo.

Colleges: True, UMKC isn't much of a real college. They are trying a little bit to improve things, mostly with the new union and new dorms. Enrollment is increasing quite a bit. KU is only 30 miles away, 40-60 minutes away depending on Lawrence traffic.

The Zoo: Animals in a cage aren't really that exciting. I do enjoy the awesome creek-based trails in Overland Park to enjoy nature.

Awkward social scene: Find new people.

Obviously KC needs improvement, and other cities have better things (DFW my favorite), but if you're here, may as well adapt. If anything, living here and then visiting other places has pretty much forced me to open my mind and realize that KC has an awkward vibe unlike anywhere else in the US. I just need to adapt and think unlike most people, and look to new ways to make more friends.

kcmo will likely make this a big state line issue, but who cares if OP or Lenexa is taking away a few companies (not even as many as we're made to think)? KC itself is making itself arts capital of the world pretty much, even if it is completely hostile to families.
Remember, these aren't my views. These are just what I've been hearing people say...and don't think I'm laying the blame on you necessarily. You're not the only person to be critical of KC, there are plenty of others out there.

KC hostile to families? Wow, never heard that one before.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM

58 posts, read 48,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
I'm not saying that that's what I think; that's just how a lot of others tend to think.
I've always dreaded telling people where I'm from since I moved
to southern California. To this day I don't understand why Kansas
has such a bad rep. I'm from Gladstone but I'm always asked if I lived
on a farm in Kansas. Sigh. Seriously, the people out here don't even
know there is a city called Kansas City. If it isn't NY or Boston they've
never heard of it.

Bad drivers in KC? Hah! Come to LA/OC you'll see the real deal

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJon View Post
I've always dreaded telling people where I'm from since I moved
to southern California. To this day I don't understand why Kansas
has such a bad rep. I'm from Gladstone but I'm always asked if I lived
on a farm in Kansas. Sigh. Seriously, the people out here don't even
know there is a city called Kansas City. If it isn't NY or Boston they've
never heard of it.

Bad drivers in KC? Hah! Come to LA/OC you'll see the real deal
Yes, LA probably has the worst drivers I have ever seen (I was there 5 years ago). Not a slam against LA/OC though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City