Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a house for cash in kansas city.. I know you have houses starting at 5-10k.. so I'm hoping to pay that but can go up to 30k-50k maybe.. I would likely prefer to be by some college as I'd like to rent out a few rooms..

I was wondering if you could point me to the better neighborhoods or good ideas like I dunno "sheriff sales"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
In that price range, you can look into Blue Hills, which is between Paseo and Prospect, Brush Creek to 63rd. Or the 49/63 neighborhood between Troost and Paseo, 55th and 63rd. Those neighborhoods are very close to both UMKC and Rockhurst, but I would imagine most college students are advised to stay west of Troost when seeking places to rent. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a house in that price range west of Troost and north of Brush Creek, but it will need a lot of work if that's the case.

Here's an existing thread on the Blue Hills neighborhood (your best bet):

blue hills

Reece and Nichols, the big local real estate company, has an excellent "search by map" feature.

Reece & Nichols Real Estate, Mortgage and Title Experts | Kansas City Homes for Sale with Reece & Nichols.

As for better neighborhoods that are in that price range, but aren't near colleges, you can check out Northeast KCMO (along and north of Independence Avenue) or the similar Central Avenue corridor in Kansas City, KS.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Something like this would be a good deal, it's walking distance to the waldo bars but it's small and it looks like it might need some work done to it
207 West 78th Street, Kansas City MO - Trulia

Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM

712 posts, read 2,146,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Something like this would be a good deal, it's walking distance to the waldo bars but it's small and it looks like it might need some work done to it
207 West 78th Street, Kansas City MO - Trulia
Thanks I'll keep it in mind at 2 bedrooms and $20k seems kinda high

I'm gonna scout my first houses today

Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Thanks I'll keep it in mind at 2 bedrooms and $20k seems kinda high

I'm gonna scout my first houses today
Those houses in the 5-10k range are in Detroit Warzone type of neighborhoods. This one in Waldo is in a fairly young professional type of neighborhood

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Those houses in the 5-10k range are in Detroit Warzone type of neighborhoods. This one in Waldo is in a fairly young professional type of neighborhood
Well, not, not in that specific area it is not. A strong KCPD presence is about the only thing keeping the meth heads from taking over that part of Wornall Rd. after dark. Businesses I've spoken to are really on edge about the decline of the neighborhood and many have fled that area between 78th -85th & Wornall in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City