Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM

39 posts, read 98,415 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Kansas City and was wondering what you would consider the best areas in Kansas City or towns nearby to live. Like everybody else, I'm looking for a nice community with affordable housing. I'd also like to stay under a 30 minute drive from work, which would be in the northern part of the NE Industrial District.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM

709 posts, read 1,491,005 times
Can you give any more details about what you're looking for?

Such as, type of community (urban/suburban/rural), desired nearby amenities/activities, demographics, type of housing, what "affordable" means, etc.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,854,407 times
If it's the industrial district I think you're talking about, Liberty would be a great choice and within 10 minutes or so. Most areas north of the river would be a good start to look at, especially Clay county.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Can you give any more details about what you're looking for?

Such as, type of community (urban/suburban/rural), desired nearby amenities/activities, demographics, type of housing, what "affordable" means, etc.
I was hoping for a more urban feel with bars and restaurants within walking distance. I'm hoping for a more modern, loft style condo. As for price, I'd want to keep rent to around 800 a month, or if I were to purchase, around 150k.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
If it's the industrial district I think you're talking about, Liberty would be a great choice and within 10 minutes or so. Most areas north of the river would be a good start to look at, especially Clay county.
I starting looking at the stats of nearby cities and Liberty seems to be a nice area. The only thing I don't like is there aren't any condos. There are plenty of houses listed for sale on Realtor.com but only 1 condo in the entire city.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,858,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
I starting looking at the stats of nearby cities and Liberty seems to be a nice area. The only thing I don't like is there aren't any condos. There are plenty of houses listed for sale on Realtor.com but only 1 condo in the entire city.
Liberty is a bedroom suburb. Just about everything north of the river is a bedroom suburb. Downtown "North" KC is really cool, but there is so little housing there to choose from. I don't know why Downtown NKC doesn’t have new urban residential developments popping up all over the place.

So for what you want, you are probably going to have to go with central kcmo. (river market, downtown, crossroads etc would all keep yo within 20 minutes of NE Idust district).

Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,854,407 times
Yeah, scratch Liberty.
There's a little suburb called North Kansas City you might check in to. Urban, walkable, with bars and some restaurants.
Other than that, downtown/midtown is about all KC has to offer for that kind of thing, which it does pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City