U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM

699 posts, read 402,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
People tend to move away from small towns because there is nothing to keep them there. That is true everywhere, not just Kansas. That has nothing to do with Johnson County prospering.
Actually, they are directly related. People don't move from small towns because there is "nothing to keep them there", but rather because the rural economy has been wrecked by the most massive redistribution of wealth ever realized in in the history of the world: a system of socialized risk/loss and privatized profit, that masquerades as the totally mythological "free market" which is euphemism for an economic system designed to funnel money from taxpayers and working citizens to the corporatocracy.

It's a system perfected in the model of corporate agriculture where the working class was most spread out and least organized and it has decimated the agrarian U.S., leading directly to the urbanization of both work and then the workforce. It's the reason governments are unable to provide basic services, the reason corporations are increasingly granted human rights, and the reason that localized economies and agrarianism have been snuffed out.

The bottom line is that every actual taxpaying person in Kansas is paying into a pool to increase the profit margins of a few private corporations and only very few wealthy people benefit, either directly or indirectly, from it. And that is the textbook definition of immorality.

Last edited by s.davis; 05-10-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM

15,004 posts, read 19,795,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think this has more to do with your dislike of Johnson County than anything else.

I don't know about 3/4 to 4/5 of the state of Kansas falling apart, but if that is the case I would venture that rural Missouri is no different. People tend to move away from small towns because there is nothing to keep them there. That is true everywhere, not just Kansas. That has nothing to do with Johnson County prospering.

If the "metro" (KCMO is what you mean) wants to do well, they need to figure out ways to make businesses want to stay in KCMO. Several years ago, doctors in Kansas City moved from Missouri to Kansas en masse because of the high cost of malpractice insurance in Missouri.

I have seen talk of Missouri becoming a no income tax state. Why don't they try that, or other things to make Kansas City, Missouri a more attractive option for businesses? Why is it Johnson County's fault? The answer is, it's not. KCMO is going to have to do something to compete for businesses, not just sit there and expect it to be handed to them.

Personally, if I had to get up and go to a job every day (I own a business, so I don't have to), I would rather work in Johnson County than have to deal with the traffic to downtown KC and the traffic and congestion in downtown KC. I'd rather drive through areas with grass and trees and get to an office where I can park a reasonably short distance from the door and walk in with no hassles, than deal with one way streets, having trouble finding a parking place, paying to park, and basically going through a lot of hassles just to get to work every day.
You're a small business owner? That's great! What kind of business?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 AM

8,075 posts, read 6,445,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You're a small business owner? That's great! What kind of business?
I'd rather not say. I prefer to remain anonymous here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City