Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM

28 posts, read 70,470 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are spending a weekend in KC with another couple to celebrate our anniversaries. I'm a foodie and my husband is frugal--any suggestions of restaurants suitable for a special occasion that won't break the bank, as in you can get an entree for $20? Most of the recommended restaurants I've come across on tripadvisor (eg Chaz on the Plaza) are a little more than we want to spend. We're staying on the Plaza, so even better if it's around there, but that's not a necessity. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
If you like Chinese food I'd recommend Bo Ling's in the Kansas City Board of Trade building SE corner of Plaza. The interior is lovely, very befitting an anniversary. Country Club Plaza | Bo Ling's Chinese Restaurant
menu: http://www.bolings.com/Location/menu/bolingsplaza.pdf

For Kansas City BBQ try Fiorella's Jack Stack (casual but wonderful ribs): Country Club Plaza | Fiorella
menu: http://www.jackstackbbq.com/images/a...ining_Menu.pdf

PF Chang's: Country Club Plaza | PF Chang's China Bistro
menu: Menu - P.F. Chang's China Bistro

The Classic Cup (American fare) has several entrees which meet your price criteria. You also have the option of patio dining here: Country Club Plaza | Classic Cup Sidewalk Cafe
menu: Menus

Brio Tuscan Grille (patio dining available): Country Club Plaza | Restaurants
menu: BRIO Dinner Menu

That's a start, hope it helps.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM

28 posts, read 70,470 times
Thanks for the ideas! The Classic Cup looks promising, if a bit on the high side of our preferred price range. I should have specified that we prefer to avoid chains.

We're from Omaha--I guess I didn't realize that eating out in Kansas City costs a bit more.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles julian View Post
Thanks for the ideas! The Classic Cup looks promising, if a bit on the high side of our preferred price range. I should have specified that we prefer to avoid chains.

We're from Omaha--I guess I didn't realize that eating out in Kansas City costs a bit more.
Bo Ling's and Fiorella's Jack Stack are Kansas City companies. The Bo Ling's in the KC Board of Trade building is not your average Chinese Resturant. It has been there for as long as I can remember. Very nice.

The Plaza is expensive comparatively speaking, as are most areas which garner much of the tourist traffic.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
We just celebrated our anniversary tonight at Korma Sutra in Westport...yum!

BTW, Bo Ling's is in the process of moving from the Board of Trade to 47th Street on the opposite side of the Plaza.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:28 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
Unfortunately, the Plaza dining scene is heavy on chains, or places that are a bit more expensive. I feel that for the best dining you need to go to places like Westport, Crossroads, River Market, etc. (Which, if you're unfamiliar, are not too far from the Plaza)

I'm a big fan of Farmhouse in the River Market. It's at the top of your budget, but it's great. Also in RM, if you want something a bit different, there's Blue Nile for Ethiopian cuisine.

Blue Bird Bistro in the Westside can be a great option for a romantic anniversary dinner (if you get a nice table). Prices can be high, but they also have lowered priced options.

In the Crossroads, Extra Virgin and La Bodega (both tapas places) the Rieger (at the high end of your range) are great choices. Nica's is nice for something more informal.

In Westport, The Boot and Westport Cafe have great food (though maybe not the most intimate, anniversary setting). As TabulaRasa mentioned, Korma Sutra is very good Indian.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Houston's is wonderful. Yes, it's a chain, but it's my favorite place to eat in Kansas City. They do have entrees that are more than $20, but you can find items less than $20. I usually get the soup and traditional salad, which I think is $16. The salad is big (and delicious) and comes with cheese bread. They just have one soup each day so it depends what day you go. My favorite is baked potato soup and the tortilla soup is good too. For my salad, I always get combination (hot bacon and honey mustard) dressing. I've never had anything like it anywhere else; it's yummy!

Here's the menu for Houston's. The stuff under $20 might look like "normal" food or nothing special, but at Houston's everything is special. They have thin crispy fries and everything is just delicious and the presentation is nice and the atmosphere is nice.

http://www.hillstone.com/pdf_menus/h...City_Plaza.pdf

Edit - I think this menu is old because I know the prices are a little more than this menu shows. I'm going to try to find a current one.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
Starkers is a great restaurant on the plaza that is not a chain but it might be too expensive, entrees probably start out at around 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City