Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 9,681 times

Advertisements

My family of 4 is looking to move closer to KC or into the city itself from far eastern jackson county. We want to be closer to my husbands job which is off of bannister and 435. We have an 18 mo old son and want to find a safe kid friendly area. We would prefer a single family home for rent. We don't have a very big budget though and are looking for rent under 900 dollars. Any area/neighborhood suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,858,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb18690 View Post
My family of 4 is looking to move closer to KC or into the city itself from far eastern jackson county. We want to be closer to my husbands job which is off of bannister and 435. We have an 18 mo old son and want to find a safe kid friendly area. We would prefer a single family home for rent. We don't have a very big budget though and are looking for rent under 900 dollars. Any area/neighborhood suggestions? Thanks!
Check out South Waldo (south of 85th, east of Wornall).

You will find some modest homes in that area. We owned a home and lived near 90th and Main for several years and really enjoyed it. It's a part of the city where things change from block to block, but if you find a nice well kept home that looks like it's in an area that's well kept, you will be fine, even if you might be closer to some sketchy areas then you are used to.

The further southeast you go, the more sketchy it gets.

You can also check out the east redbridge area like around 435 and Grandview Road (south of 435). I think you might find something in there that would work too. I would avoid anything east of 71/435 in that area (ruskin, hickman mills etc).

Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,461,740 times
If you want to move closer to the City I would suggest Prairie Village or Old Leawood on the Kansas Side, you will be super close to your husbands job but you will have the safety and comfort of good schools, etc

Old 05-29-2012, 03:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,602,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
If you want to move closer to the City I would suggest Prairie Village or Old Leawood on the Kansas Side, you will be super close to your husbands job but you will have the safety and comfort of good schools, etc
Their kid is years away from using the schools.

Those are nice areas, but $900 probably won't get you much. KCMO's suggestions are solid ones -- I also think Waldo proper would work in your budget.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM

709 posts, read 1,491,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Check out South Waldo (south of 85th, east of Wornall).
Not to nitpick, but personally, I would not consider that area to be Waldo. I think of 85th St as the south boundary for Waldo. I think that area is Santa Fe Hills.

The Santa Fe Hills/ South Waldo area would be rather close to your husband's job and I imagine there are some affordable rental homes there. Though they would be just a bit further and pricier, I would also look into more central Waldo and Brookside (rather limited number of rentals in Brookside in your price range, but you might be able to find something)

Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,681 times
Thanks for the help. I will check into those areas for sure!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM

6,813 posts, read 11,522,417 times
I'll nitpick too....I don't think living in PV or Leawood would be "super close" to I-435 and Bannister.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,858,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Their kid is years away from using the schools.

Those are nice areas, but $900 probably won't get you much. KCMO's suggestions are solid ones -- I also think Waldo proper would work in your budget.
Thanks, my thoughts exactly. Not everybody can or needs to live in Johnson County just because they have young kids.

We lived in the area and actually bought a home with an infant and then had another while there. We did move when our kids got older, but we moved for reasons other than schools. If I were to do it all over again, I would have moved further into the city (brookside) rather than out to the burbs.

The areas I mentioned are fine.

And yes, I know the area southeast of waldo is santa fe hills, but I just try to keep things simple and waldo gives a better reference point to people not familiar with the city.

I do agree that waldo itself would be a good option as well. The trolley track trail in waldo is awesome and makes you feel like you are part of the brookside community because it's so easy to get there from the waldo area.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,159,957 times
The southeastern part of Waldo is also safe, affordable, nice and has plenty of rentals.

Anything between 75th and 85th, west of Troost (hate to say those words, but Marlborough is noticeably tougher than east Waldo) would work. It's a quick drive down 75th to 71 south. 85th is also quick and you can head all the way over to 435 via 87th.

There are also nice and even more affordable single family homes within 4 or 5 blocks either side of Holmes south of 85th all the way to 435. The area to east of Holmes and west of the Blue River, between Bannister and 103rd is quiet, nice, cheap and a very short commute. It's called Linden Hills, but I doubt many people would even know it by that name.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 05-30-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: