Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia62 View Post
Don't move here. Kansas City is the worst place I've ever lived, and I've lived in a lot of cities both east and west coasts. It's a boring, flat, ugly town with no real culture (unless you consider BBQ to be fine dining and NASCAR to be fine entertainment).

Pay scale is really low here, though to be honest so are housing costs. Food prices are a little lower than the east or west coast but the quality of a lot of things is way lower.

Put it this way, I've lived here for seven years and I'm leaving next year. Don't know where I'll move yet, but pretty much anywhere has to be better than Kansas City.
Yikes!
Maybe you should get out of Belton more often.
The downtown-Waldo corridor has more culture than most coastline snobs would think. (sshhh... don't let them know we're not toothless! or they may start moving here.)
I never get bored here, yet I hate NASCAR, and rarely eat barbeque.
I work with someone from the Pacific Northwest, and they think the food here is far superior to their's.
Flat? Go to the Mississippi Delta region. That's flat.
Jobs pay pretty average on a nationwide scale.

Okay, okay, I know I'm just being defensive, but Kansas City's a great town for those like me who hate the coasts because they're overpriced and overrated. Wellllll....Maine's not overrated....

I know what it's like to hate where you live. I moved here from such a place. Best of luck on finding a somewhere that suits you better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM

24 posts, read 73,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yikes!
Maybe you should get out of Belton more often.
The downtown-Waldo corridor has more culture than most coastline snobs would think. (sshhh... don't let them know we're not toothless! or they may start moving here.)
I never get bored here, yet I hate NASCAR, and rarely eat barbeque.
I work with someone from the Pacific Northwest, and they think the food here is far superior to their's.
Flat? Go to the Mississippi Delta region. That's flat.
Jobs pay pretty average on a nationwide scale.

Okay, okay, I know I'm just being defensive, but Kansas City's a great town for those like me who hate the coasts because they're overpriced and overrated. Wellllll....Maine's not overrated....

I know what it's like to hate where you live. I moved here from such a place. Best of luck on finding a somewhere that suits you better.
Belton? LOL...no, I live in Westwood and I still think this area sucks hind you-know-what. However, since my momma taught me that I should always try to find something nice to say, I do have to say that most people here are generally friendly.

This city is still boring, ugly, and flat though. Just try to find good hiking or backpacking around here! Can't be done. And water sports? People don't go in the rivers around here because they're too polluted. When I lived in northern California we were in the rivers all the time, and didn't have to worry that we'd be poisoned if we accidentally swallowed some water...

Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Kansas City's not the best place if you're really into the outdoors. Too much farmland for that.
I must resist the urge to go fishing in the Mighty MO. Blue Cross might threaten to cancel me.
still scratching my head over the flat and ugly part....no 10,000 ft. mountains, but it's a great place if you don't give a rip about mountains.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,060 times
Kansas City is not flat. It is one of the most hilly towns around. Kansas City used to have cable cars because it was so hilly.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 AM

84 posts, read 370,778 times
Default Don't rule out KC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Kansas City's not the best place if you're really into the outdoors. Too much farmland for that.
I must resist the urge to go fishing in the Mighty MO. Blue Cross might threaten to cancel me.
still scratching my head over the flat and ugly part....no 10,000 ft. mountains, but it's a great place if you don't give a rip about mountains.
I have to agree with Northbound but the outdoors may not be what the original poster is looking for. She has to know that looking into KS/MO there are not alot of outdoor activities. I have to stick up for KC too because I loved living there the past 13 years. We recently moved away from there to North Carolina and I am having trouble adjusting as it is just not what I am used to. The poster who resides in Westwood lives in a beautiful area that is close to the wonderful Country Club Plaza and has an array of activities to chose from besides Nascar. I was so bummed I couldn't go to the Chiefs Football stadium to watch KU play MU last night even though my favorite team lost. I'm just excited that both teams are doing so well and proving that college sports rule in the Midwest besides where I have now moved (college sports here are huge with UNC, Duke & NCState). I'm sure that moving to an area that is different from what you are use to makes it not seem great as I am going through that right now but I know that many people love it here (near the ocean & mountains). The original poster should just visit KC and have a realtor show her all the great attractions it has to offer to see if it fits her lifestyle. I have to say that I am big runner and that Kansas City has many areas to run and enjoy the outdoors safely. I can't say that about where I moved as there are a lot of two lane roads and not alot of sidewalks yet in the outlying suburbs. I barely run anymore as I get tired of running the same few streets. I can't say enough great things about KC. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
You want to live in Johnson County Kansas if possible. It is really the best place you can live for the money. On the Missouri side, Lees Summit and Independence are good too. You do NOT want to live in KC MO east of downtown or anywhere in KC KS- especially areas like Quindaro. These are both really dangerous places.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,469 times
I live in Kansas City. I would strigly recommend living in Johnson County. Within this county are Overland PArk, Leawood, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Prairie Vilalge, Lenexa, Olathe, Mission and Merriam. The Shawnee Mission school district is the best school district you will find in Kansas ICty and region. Hope this helps

Old 11-30-2007, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatty2 View Post
Hi, I am considering moving from LA to the Kansas City area. I am a single African American female. Does anyone know which areas would be good for me to live. I want an area that is low on crime, has good schools and shopping areas.
I have stayed in both places and I would say " Don't move to Kansas City"

Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 AM

55 posts, read 299,236 times
If shopping is important to you as well as safety and accessibility to all areas of the metro, consider the northern part of Overland Park, Kansas. Overland Park has the highest concentration of shopping in the metro and if you live in north OP you would be located minutes from the County Club Plaza (which is in Kansas City, MO), which is the premiere shopping/entertainment area in KC. Its home to much of the designer/luxury stores. Overland Park is very safe.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,766 times
I have lived on the east coast and the west...
Kansas City... KCMO or KCKS.... and the surrounding areas...
Very, very boring!

I am finishing up a master's degree program at UMKC next Dec- and I am headed far away from this place as soon as I'm done...

Trust me... find another place to live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City