Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes1 View Post
Kansas City, Kansas is located in Wyandotte County.

The Kansas suburbs of Fairway, Mission, Merriam, Westwood, Mission Hills, Prairie Village, Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Olathe are located in Johnson County.

Some demographics for Johnson County:

2005:

89.0% White
4.0% Hispanic
2.6% Black

Population - 506,562 (2005)
Population - 486,943 (2003)

Median Household Income 2005

Johnson County $66,685
Wyandotte County $33,700

My source is City-Data
For what it's worth here is the Census Data for Johnson County
2006 population: 516,731
Population percentage change between 2000-2006: 14.5%
2004 Median Household Income: $68,013
Demographics:
85% White
5.7% Hispanic
4.0% Black
3.8% Asian
Non Farm Employment Change between 2000-2005: 2.2%
Johnson County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillcekr View Post
Well I see the situation differently. I've noticed some others do as well. When some folks on here post things about schools and such that are false, and can be proven as such, then it's crystal clear that they are not here just to discuss the metro in general. They're here trying to sway people who are unknowing into perceiving things in a false light and it's not "unnatural" for somebody who is posting within their own realm, and whose homeland is being sniped by someone who's not, to take offense. This does not scream out "I come in peace!" and it's completely unneccessary.

Nobody that lives in this metro can convince me that they are just a naive victim that had no idea that such a thing would not be well received. Therefore, the fact that anyone would complain about it seems silly when, if they really weren't looking for a confrontation, they'd post in the Kansas section.

I don't go on the Kansas section telling people Johnson County is overrated, overtaxed, and full of people that don't realize that they aren't any different or superior to any other suburban area of the metro. In fact, I don't post over there at all. Why? Because I can reason well enough to know this would not be appreciated and it's not where it belongs. That wouldn't make any more sense than going to the Boston board and telling people who are making inquiries that they should move to New York, Baltimore, or D.C. because Boston just doesn't stack up. Not only would that be a false statement in the minds of Bostonians but it would definitely have the desired effect of pissing them off. A little rationalization goes a long ways.

This forum is clearly marked as being in the "Missouri" section. It doesn't say "K.C. Metro" section. If someone on here is talking about Kansas then there has to be a reason other than just wanting to discuss the metro because there is a Kansas forum. I've seen it and I'm sure you have as well. There are threads discussing the metropolitan area on the Kansas side. Making statements about where Overland Park ranks in Money Magazine or false claims of superior schools on the Kansas side are NOT relevant to Missouri. Anyone doing so is clearly not here with the intent of having a nice and civil discussion about "the metro". I don't have a problem with anyone from Kansas having a negative opinion of Missouri or thinking where they live is better. That's fine. They're entitled to their opinion. Just take it where it belongs. A person that's guilty of not doing so doesn't have a leg to stand on if they're trying to villify me for speaking up about it or pointing out the falsehoods in their statements because their intent is purely antagonistic to begin with.

That type of crap is not gonna be welcome in the St. Louis forum either. I know that to be a fact because I browse there quite regularly. Granted, it doesn't happen often but people from the Illinois side in general have enough courtesy to restrain themselves from making such antagonizing comments with a relative few exceptions. Whatever negative opinions they have of the Missouri side of that area are generally confined to the Illinois forums and vice versa.

My personal opinion is that I don't even know why we should even be having this discussion. People who want to discuss Kansas should not be doing it here and that is indisputable. Part of the forum moderator's job is to make sure that things stay on topic and in their proper places. There's a reason why there is a framework that clearly divides all of the various states and cities here into seperate sections. When one is out of place the mod should either move it or delete it. That's a system that works very well on other forums and I'm really unclear as to why it's not adhered to here as was intended by the people who created this forum. It would go a long ways towards keeping the peace and creating a less confusing environment for those making inquiries that are not from here.

Great post. People do want to know about KC and it's ok to tell them about Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, Leawood, Shawnee and Mission.

As long as you also tell them about Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Belton, Raymore, Liberty, KC North, Gladstone etc.

The schools are no better in Kansas than they are in Missouri.

You have Shawnee Mission, Olathe, Blue Valley in Kansas.

You have Blue Springs, RayPec, Lee's Summit, Independence, Fort Osage, Park Hill, Liberty, Platte County, North Kansas City in Missouri.

Kansas people want people to move to "KC" and live in Kansas, work in Kansas, go to school in Kansas and play in Missouri at the expense of Missourians.

There are reasons people on the MO side have issues with Kansans.

If you move to KC, try to make the MO side work first. That is where you will be a true Kansas "Citian", not just a Kansan. If you move to the KS side, you will find you have to go against the grain if you want to like KCMO or Missouri even though that that what KC is all about. KC is about the MO side. There is nothing on the Kansas side except suburbs and a racetrack.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,758,163 times
Wow. I didn't realize you had to live in Missouri to live in Kansas City.

If you apply that everywhere then you'd better tell CellarBelle that she's not a St. Louisan and she'd better not come play in St. Louis at our (Missourians) expense.

Maybe I just don't get it. People can live in Kansas City, KS, but if they come play on the Missouri side, as far as tax dollars go, it's actually good for Missouri. It's not as good as if they actually lived in MO (as far as tax dollars go), but if they come into Missouri at all then they pay taxes on what they buy, or if they go to concerts or museums, or even use a parking garage, that contributes taxes to the city.

I just don't get it. I go shopping in Poplar Bluff (groceries and stuff) and sometimes see an Arkansas car (it's about half-hour from AR). I don't go yell at them that they're coming at our expense. In fact, their sales tax is helping Missouri in that case.

Sorry, I know this isn't a forum for a southeast Missourian, I just don't get it. I know this is a Missouri forum, but if someone wants to suggest the other side of the metro, what does it matter? It's still growth. Chances are they will still do things in Kansas City, which contributes to the city.

All this animosity can't look good for the city to people considering moving there. Move to KC, but you have to move to Missouri or you're not a Kansas Citian. It doesn't make sense.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-17-2008 at 02:09 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,821,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Wow. I didn't realize you had to live in Missouri to live in Kansas City.

Move to KC, but you have to move to Missouri or you're not a Kansas Citian. It doesn't make sense.
I've lived here almost four years, and have never heard such a thing. If anything, I'm always having to explain to people who don't live in the area that I don't live in Kansas, just because I live in Kansas City.
Like I said, the issue is blown way out of proportion on these forums.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM

You can't compare KC and St Louis. Both are bistate, but that's where the similarities end.

Take St Louis County and put it in IL. Leave yourselves with only St Louis City and St Charles County. Now you are close to evenly split between the two states like KC is.

Now, remove the river and replace it with a street so all those in StLouis County,IL are much closer to the city than those in St Charles making it actually easier to commute from IL than from your MO suburbs.

You no longer have proper funding for the zoo, the science museum, the botanical gardens etc. You can forget about metro link and all those office parks that ring I-270? Those are in IL now.

The only reason people from the metro east area visit "the MO side now" is for ballgames, the zoo, the gardens, the museums, none of which they fund anymore.

MO side people visit IL to go to the speedway, a speedway named after the primary city in the region or at least named to be a "regional" name. Gateway Speedway will need to change its name to Illinois Speedway.

You will also need to move some of your largest local companies to IL.

Are your starting to get it now?

Kansans are Kansas Citians, that was harsh, but you don't know. It's not like St Louis. KC is a different animal.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:12 PM

69 posts, read 250,476 times
I am so sorry that first time visitors and those seeking to relocate have to wade through the hate spewed posts that repeatedly surface on this forum. This is not the Kansas City that I know. I have always found Kansas Citians to be very friendly whether residing in Kansas or Missouri. Lastly, for those of you relocating, make your decision based on your needs, and, if applicable, the needs of your family. Go into the school districts websites, explore the home pages of the various municipalities that interest you, read the Kansas City Star and the suburban newspapers. Talk with the relocation department of the corporation you are interviewing with or transferring. Get advice from co-workers, and utilize the services of a recommended real estate agent. No matter which state you decide to reside in, you will be a true Kansas Citian. Kansas City is a great place to live, work and play!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
Great post Mercedes. Make the choice that's right for you and your family- after all that's what these forums are about.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes1 View Post
Talk with the relocation department of the corporation you are interviewing with or transferring. Get advice from co-workers, and utilize the services of a recommended real estate agent.
Too bad most of these so called "professionals" will no doubt push you to the Kansas side though. It's been going on for decades in KC. It's proven right here in these forums.

"Move to KC, but you should live in Johnson County" over and over and over.

I can quote myself if you would like. If somebody is going to be working in Overland Park or if somebody asks about Overland Park, I will be fair and say, here are some nice places to live in Johnson County....

But if somebody is not specific, I will push the Missouri side first along with the Kansas side as an alternative.

For two reasons:

First, KC needs more people on the MO side for the region to do the things we want the region to do. It's obvious that the KS and MO governments don't get along in the KC area. The more people we have on the MO side, the easier it will be to build transit, stadiums, museums, fund the zoo, theaters, have a vibrant downtown etc.

The second reason is due to what I hinted at above.

Most people will push a relocating resident to JoCo. They "might" mention Lee's Summit, but they will hear over and over that you should NOT live in the city of KCMO (which is BS), the schools in MO are not as good (which is BS), the housing is not as upscale (which is BS), the roads are not as good (which is BS), the shopping is not as good (which is BS), housing appreciation is not as good (which is BS), the MO side is more hick (which is BS).

Just be fair. It makes no sense to read some of these replies.

When somebody comes into the Missouri forum and asks about the Liberty area, people will reply with "try Lenexa".

Most people in Johnson County have no idea what the Northland offers, what eastern Jackson County offers and what the urban core of KCMO offers.

Not everybody wants that. It's not fair to call Independence nothing but meth addicts. Independence is actually quite nice on the southeastern side of town and has some quality historic areas too. Raytown can be a great choice for somebody that needs a more modest home in a nice area with good schools that is very close to the city. You don't have to pay 3 or 4 times as much for the same house in Mission or Prairie Village.

Johnson County is a fine place, it's a nice suburb and a nice place to live in KC.

But there are just as many, if not more, choices on the MO side that are very similar to Johnson County and if you don't want that ultra conservative suburban lifestyle, the MO side is where you will have to go.

And if you choose the MO side, you to can vote on stadium taxes, light rail, culture taxes etc or not, but at least you have a say.

And if you choose the KS side, I hope you can help many of the long timers realize that Johnson County is not the center of the universe, or even metro KC.

The KC area is a great place. But there is more to KC than Johnson County, a lot more. These forums make it sound like 80% of the city is crap.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,569 times
Amen. Anywhere is better than KC. and I have lived alot of different places, incl. LA......... Crime bad here too. If you know what is good for you and your mental health stay away...far away! Winters are cold and summers are too humid...no inbetween.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,956,798 times
I was born and raised here in KC. The only thing I dislike about this city is the weather. Its way too unpredictable and its not warm enough for nearly long enough.

As far as the Kansas v. Missouri thing. I live in MO but work in KS. I spend lots of time on both sides. But, I would never live on the Kansas side. Actually, I would never live south of the river period.

The Northland in Missouri which is considered Clay and Platte county and consist of cities such as Gladstone, Riverside, Parkville, Liberty, Kansas City North, North Kansas City, etc. is where I live and will always live.

It is clean, safe, reasonable living cost, lots of shopping, and good schools.

But, I am sure other places in KC would be good as well for a lot of people.

Anyone who says KC is boring just doesnt look hard enough. You cant expect fun and entertainment to always fall into your lap. Sometimes you have to seek it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City